You see this team making the play offs?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, May 16, 2018.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think people discount the talent on defense a bit too much. The Jets are pretty good up the middle and they have some talent at CB also. They're going to be a fairly solid defense this year.

The other thing is that the people the Jets have drafted up high recently are the kind of personalities that you build teams around. Leo Williams, Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Sam Darnold, that's a lot of young strength in the locker room. I think the Jets have an outside shot at a pretty good season in 2018 and I'd be shocked if they haven't got it together by 2019.

FJF likes this.
  2. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Agree, I think the secondary and the interior line are going to be stout. If the linebackers can just be adequate I think the defense will put us in position to stay in a lot of games.

Br4d likes this.
  3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jets defense looks decent enough - except they cannot go after the QB. They certainly didn't show their ability last year. And the year before.

And that means you will be screaming at the TV, hollering "SOMEBODY GET THAT FUCKING QB FOR CHRISSAKE!!!" every Sunday. Like you had to last year.

KurtTheJetsFan and Br4d like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm guessing the Jets are blitzing a lot this season. That would get the most value out of the Trumaine Johnson signing. If you go out and get a good press corner you need to let him do his thing and send the guys around him after the QB.

5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m sorry Brook but when I see the teams that are making the playoffs and advancing once they get there, I see well balanced teams.

Right now the jets are not even close to a wildcard with the lack of playmakers they have. Robbie Anderson is the only true explosive player they have on offense.

The defense has good players but still no impact pass rusher. They let Demario Davis go for a younger ILB that in my opinion is not as good as DD and won’t have the type of impact that Davis had. So they are weak across the most important part of the 3-4 defense they want to play.

It’s really not the scheme but the lack of impact players they have on both sides of the ball, Jets are not a threat with Mcown and Powell and the rest of the oline.

Really how can a 5-11 team that added nothing to the offense other than draft Darnold who won’t see the field this year be expected to improve with the same players?

I don’t see playoffs.

NYJetsO12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  6. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. Not under any circumstances. They will go 5-11 again in order to increase Jet fan agony. The only good thing that's going to happen this season is that hopefully Blowes gets shitcanned.

Peebag likes this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

No offense - as if the Jets have one - but I'm gonna stab myself in the face with a plastic picnic fork if I ever see this again.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

[​IMG]
    Pics or gtfo!

stinkyB, HomeoftheJets and themorey like this.
  10. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I'm gonna say no for this season. But my 'bold prediction' is that we won't be picking top-10.

11. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Wow! How incredibly bold a prediction that is. 90% of the board thinks they'll be 5-11 or maybe a game better.

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Your avatar looks like someone shining a flashlight under their chin to scare kids ringing doorbells for treats on Halloween! Knowing you, you're probably one them sickos who used to stick razor blades in candy apples!

Signed,
    -Mrs. championjets69 :mad:

Sam Hammer likes this.
  13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I maybe miss understanding you but a 3-4 year superbowl window opens next year, with a 20yo QB, isn't that likely to be a 10-15 year window especially if he is good ?

14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

There’s nothing in the NFL more valuable than a star QB on a rookie deal. The Eagles got $30M play last year from a guy making $6M and it allowed them to stack the rest of their roster. Same with the Rams. The Seahawks looked like the next dynasty when Wilson was making $500K but they’ve been hemorrhaging talent ever since they paid him.

If Darnold is great they’ll be competitive for 15 years and make occasional runs at the Super Bowl. But their best, clearest shot is in those 3-4 years where he’s drastically underpaid.

15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

As much as I would like the jets in the playoffs, it is doubtful.

1. The jets have a poor coach (who employs an inept defensive coordinator)
    2. Their offensive line is a bunch of has beens who never were
    3. Their offense is built on 3 former members of the cleveland browns (McCown, Pryor and Crowell) who haven't won a game since the Carter administration
    4. they have no edge rusher or pass rush to speak of
    5. darold will not see the light of day unless/until mccown is injured or the jets are out of it or both--see #1 above

i do not see the jets doing much until they get a GM that realizes offensive line IS a part of football and get a coach who can make some in-game decisions. Until then , the jets will hover around 5-11

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Thank you for the explanation, it makes sense now :)

Big Cat likes this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

yes..

I think TGG is living in la la land with the team and Coach as constructed..when I see posts saying "we can go 8-8" I just laugh ...hoping third rounders and Und free agents turn into superstars?? LMAO

A couple of lopsided losses will bring most of the fanbase back to reality

Until Sam Darnold, 99 per cent of our draft has been for Defense..self serving for Toilet B... and even with all that talent infusion our D has still sucked

This is a trash team with a few gems sprinkled in..with a GM who basically has paid for DL and CBs.. the Offense is a way afterthought

We get 3 wins imo

18. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Actually La, La, Land are those that think it's impossible. La, La, Land is ignoring the HC overachieved with 10 wins in year one witha flawed roster and overachieved with neophytes a year ago. La, La, Land Is continuing to incorrectly claim that 99% of our draft picks have been defense. In actuality anyone with internet access would know it's been pretty much 50/50.

La, La, Land Is not realizing the margin of our losses and how little improvement would be needed to win a few more games. La, La, Land Is not realizing we won 5 games with decent QB play over the first 13 games. We easily could have heated NO and SD with McCown. Thats, duh, 7 wins right there. But you're right, 8 wins a year later is laughable.

The real shame is when those who talk about La, La, Land call their own team trash, argue with fans that they're not smart enough to understand as they do that the team, CS and management all suck.

La, La, Land Is predicting we'll be worse because. Just because.

19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

The head coach overachieved ? I guess that it why there has been a movement after EACH of the past 2 years to replace him, right? Fans/Teams constantly want to replace overachieving coaches.

20. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

We should have easily been 3-13 had the Jags and the Browns not shot themselves in the foot.