You see this team making the play offs?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, May 16, 2018.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Hey Cman, an old guy like you knows that the moon needs to be in the seventh house, not Pisces, and Jupiter, not the stars, needs to align with Mars.

NYJetsO12, Cman68 and CBG like this.
  2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Im not sure if I responded to this thread yet but in case I have not I will go out on a limb and say NO,,,,I don't see that happening

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Not happening.

This defense can't go after the QB. Not yet anyway. Mauldin and Jenkins have to show me they can actually go get the QB like the OLBs that they were drafted to be. Until that happens, it's a solid NO from me. [Mauldin actually showed some promise in his rookie year - only to get derailed in his second year via injury. A pity, if you ask me.]

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Bowles

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Not a chance. The defense is slightly better with Johnson but opposing offenses will just target Claiborne, Skrine or the back to back safeties. Quarterbacks will still have tons of time to throw the ball. Then we have the McCown factor on offense. He should not be starting. It should be the Darnold era right away. If he plays we might get to 8 and 8. If McCown plays all year 5-11 or less.

6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

If he's not starting day 1 , which I don't see happening , I think it's better to start him week 8 vs week 6. He may have some success vs the Colts but the following week he would face the leagues top D in the Vikings. Nothing lost letting him sit 2 more weeks.

BudJet likes this.
  7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Seriously, I hate the Bills but they had much better players at pretty much every positional group on the Roster than we had last year.
    I can't think of a single position that we were better, about equal at TE and Kicker , had McCown stayed healthy, he would have been better than Taylor but unfortunately we finished with Petty shiting himself.
    They we're far better at O line, RB, Safety and CB.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

LOL... Glad somebody caught the reference.. :)

Peebag likes this.
  9. Cman68

Don't laugh, but a little voice keeps whispering to me that Josh Allen will become their next Jim Kelly in the future..

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Outside of the Patriots the AFC is wide open without another team that can be considered a sure thing, Steelers would be closest but they’ll probably run away with AFCN again anyway.

I do not think the Jets have a playoff roster yet but I don’t think the Bills or Titans did last year either. If the Jets can get some of the questions answered favorably they can at least compete with the rest of the average to below average teams in the AFC for a WC spot.

This year is all about progress for the Jets and hopefully Time can get the best out of Tom finally. At this point time is starting to look like Big Ben when it comes to going against Brady.

Walt White and Cman68 like this.
  11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Campaigning for the darksider award, I see! If Allen vs. Darnold turns out to be a replay of Kelly vs. O’Brien the Jets are screwed big time.

Cman68 likes this.
  12. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

We were 4-8 with McCown last year and we're an improved team.

Assumptions are that the young players develop and get better, although it doesn't always happen.

QB: Wash, but better depth
    RB: Crowell > Forte
    WR: Adding Enunwa and Pryor and another year of development for Anderson
    TE: Slight decline with ASJ but Leggett has potential, ASJ was only a 50/350/3 target with average blocking.
    OL: Spencer > Johnson will be a huge upgrade that you'll see translate to the guard play as well. Winters should be healthy but there's always risk injury wise with anyone.

DL: Improved Williams, Anderson > Checked out Wilkerson
    ILB: Improved Lee, Williamson = Demario Davis
    OLB: Wash
    CB: Johnson now the #1, Claiborne the #2, Skrine #3 > 2017
    S: Improved Adams and Maye

We have a difficult schedule coming up but we also had a difficult schedule last year with 9 out of 16 games against playoff teams.

At this point in the off-season, I'm seeing a 7-9 to 8-8 season.

Walt White likes this.
  13. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

More like Big Ben (Darnold) vs Kyle Boller (Allen)

CotcheryFan likes this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The Jets roster is uninspiring. The Jets coaching staff is uninspiring. Take away the excitement of a rookie QB and what’s left?

7 wins would surprise me unless, off course, Darnold lights it up. He’s the wild card in all of this.

15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Maybe in 2019 if sam pulls a wentz, but i don't see it for 2018

16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'll have you know 'The Fifth Dimension' wrote that song just for me for my fifth birthday. Yes, I'm Aquarius. I don't put any stock in astrology, but it does crack me up that most creative types and other assorted kooks are that very sign. I also had 'The Wedding Bell Blues' 45. : )

My Mom: "You know what you are? A pill! A P-I-L-L, PILL!"
    Me (runs to portable record player, puts on above song and sings along with a minor difference): "PILLLLLLS! I LOVE YOU SO, I ALWAYS WILL!"

This was during the height of the 60s drug craze, mind you, and what I do know from pills at 5 years old, but my Mom was already at the end of her tether. Mom proceeds to chase me to pull my hair (a weekly occurrence, most times I didn't run and just took my medicine). My Mom's other sayings: "You're a haunt!" "Boo!" In trouble. "Don't get smart!" "Why not?" In trouble. "You drive me up a wall!" "Better slow down! You're gonna wreck the car when you hit the ceiling!" In trouble. My Mom never hit me, but damn if she wasn't a hair-puller. My Daddy always knew I sassed my Mom because one ponytail would be ten stories higher than the other. Aquarius. Toldja.

What was this about again? Right. It's an essay about what I did on my Christmas vacation. 'What I did on my Christmas Vacation: Watched Other Teams Not Named The Jets Get In.'

17. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

id say WR was the only group where we were clearly better than the bills

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  18. Cman68

Nothing like warm memories to soothe a person in times of woe.. :)

BTW, you do remember that "Bill" eventually did marry Marilyn McCoo. Music back then just made you feel better.

#78 Cman68, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
  19. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

If both Darnold and Allen turn out to be the real deal then the Bills and Jets could be battling each other for the AFCE as well as in the playoffs for the next 10-15 years which will bring some intensity to the rivalry. For two teams that have been playing twice a year since 1960 they have never really played in any big games against each other except for the 81 WC.

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Agree. I'll add that I hope to see improvement up the curve for Jenkins at one OLB, Shell at RT, and McGuire at RB. Hey, maybe Hanson, and even Stewart at WR too.

I would love to see Mauldin, or somebody like Bishop, maybe Donahue by some miracle, find a niche as a pass rusher, but am not counting on that.

I do think with improvement from the guys mentioned on D along with the addition of Johnson that will in turn improve the D and make it easier for guys like Adams, and Lee to get more pressure.

ST's must get better. They've been weak two years now. Bauer, and Bowles, have got to get them going... and the team could get to .500

#80 Walt White, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018