Could Jeremy Bates become the next HC?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, May 13, 2018.

1. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Yea it has been a sad state of affairs since Abraham left to Atlanta. I don't even think I would believe it if we had one.

Cman68 likes this.
  2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

LF why are the Pats so successful? Its because they are coach extremely well I have no doubt the Jets have talent but they are not coached up at all. They are not put into situations to be successful. Those 5 wins last year was a fluke. They should have won none or with real coaching won twice as much. They had a coach that quit on the team and told them to mail it in and try not to get hurt. Stuff like that comes from the top and filters down to everyone. I say to the Rex and Mangini stuff both were more successful than Bowles has ever been. At least they gave us hope and excitement. What is to get excited about another season of giving up on your team. Punting with 4 minutes to go and down by less than a TD.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Oh good, i can see my way out then. Thanks for the heads up lol

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets have a solid year Bowles is going to get a real extension (alongside Mac) and the Jets will look to build on the progress of the season.

If the Jets have a terrible year both will get the boot.

I'm leaning towards 7-8 wins and status quo for 2019. That would be progress at this point. If Darnold does not see the field this year things could get dicey though, even with 7-8 wins.

5. Jay Bizniss

I don't think Mac is going anywhere. Bowles maybe, Mac has another two years at least.

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Of the two of them Bowles has done by far the better job so far.

The Jets talent has been subpar for the last two years primarily because other than getting lucky in the 1st round the Jets have had real issues finding talent later in the draft. If you'd told me that Bowles QB's would be Ryan Fitzpatrick x2 and Josh McCown I'd have pegged the Jets at about 15 wins over the 3 seasons and they've won 20.

HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  7. Jay Bizniss

Not sure about that. Bowles leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to in game decisions and time management. You would think he gets it by now, but he does some unfathomable shit when it matters. Mac has made some questionable decisions in later rounds in the draft, but name me a GM that hasn't. This draft thing isn't a science, its a crap shoot.

8. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Well it's really hard to discuss when you give the CS no credit for the five wins and just decide a team that the experts predicted would be hard pressed to win more than a game wins five and it has nothing to do with coaching. In fact all were wrong, a good CS would have won more than 5 games. Actual fact is in year one this staff won 10 games, much more than was predicted. The vets all fell off and Fitz sucked in year two and the team won only 5 CS was blamed, again overachieving in year three. For all the talk of how he sucks the simple fact is two of the three years the team won more games than everyone predicted and overachieved. May be why so many of the so called experts are high on the staff, much higher than Jets fans.

It was Morton who admitted he quit, not Bowles. Bowles or Morton never, ever told the team to mail it in and try not to get hurt. Never happened. Also don't think it happened that way but punting with 4 minutes left, down less than a TD isn't such a bad play that I'm going off on any staff.

Let's see what the staff does with some more talent and prospects before writing them off. The best case scenario for any team is for the staff to improve and become viable. Continuity is what you want, not another reset every 3 years like fans want if they don't get instant gratification. All the Belichick talk he sucked for most of 5 or so years in Cleveland and sucked in year one of NE almost losing that job in year 1. Jets fans who worship his coaching never would have waited for him to become the HC we see today

#108 LF911SC, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    FJF likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Bowles has to get better in that department, but a lot of great coaches have this problem. Notably Andy Reid.

Cman68, FJF and LF911SC like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, we'll know if and when Dick Curl shows up at Florham Pk.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Arians will be at the Jets training camp, whats to say we don't have another retired coach telling Bowles what to do :)

FJF and Cman68 like this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

And..won our ONLY Super Bowl..just the facts

13. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Weeb won the two most important games in NFL histoy

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

TBH ..Bowles is Hot Garbage and Mac is on the road to being a Hot GarbageGM...cmon guys HOW MUCH BETTER IS THIs TEAM???

Minus Sam Darnold one FA CB signing and maybe ..just maybe Parry Nickerson

I've posted it before..I wilI lol try again..Gametime Mismanagement aside>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>SOMEONE TELL ME ONE PLAYER TB HAS COACHED UP?....

15. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Nobody. If anything Revis and Wilkerson all out quit on the NFL under him.

For a hot second in 2015 Calvin Pryor looked like an NFL player but that fell to pieces fairly quickly

For whatever reason he's very respected in NFL circles though, wonder if it has more to do with his playing career than coaching acumen

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. boozer32

I will never give credit to some coaches that are giddy about winning 5 games. That is something you tell some 5-year-olds in Pee Wee football. I bet that wouldn't go over on a resume also. Coached a team to 5 wins and so called and nameless experts thought I did a great job. Let's see if he keeps his job with another 5 wins or less coaching job this year. Football is not Triple A where they can piece together a team and wait for the roster to mature.. You need to go for it each year because free agency is gonna bite ya, injuries are going to play a part and coaches move on or quit. There are no guarantees that this draft or any other draft is going to change your franchise. McCown was knocked out of the Denver game but there were reports that Morton playcalling was not up to snuff. Also in the Atlanta game, Forte complained about not running the ball enough. I have to take Morton side on this one. Forte was way passed his prime and he has been injured a lot in his career and definitely a lot when he was with the Jets. You couldn't rely on him

17. NYJetsO12

I think his name was associated with Bruce Arians when he coached with the Cardinals

Bowles is a laughing stock on his own..I doubt he lasts the year here

18. LF911SC

What's with this giddy with 5 wins that the haters use as an excuse to knock the guy? Who ever on this CS ever had shown happiness over the 5 wins? You want to find a reason to kill him for 5 wins? Face it this was considered a 1 win team, you SHOULD be giddy with 5. Everyone, not a few faceless experts praised the CS for winning 5. Of course you also ignored that his first season the Jets overachieved to 10 wins. You weren't giddy being part of a playoff push that was never expected? Really? Only Jets fans tell all that we suck even more than we earlier rated. Amazing.

Morton did say he quit. He was wrong. Forte did complain but have to disagree with Forte, not siding with an over the hill RB who wants more touches. But the HC fired Morton, so what's the complaint?

#118 LF911SC, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    FJF likes this.
  19. LF911SC

Arians and everywhere else he's been. Praised as a secondary coach with the Jets under Parcells and others. He was praised for the way he coached as the DC in Philly as well as AZ. He was also highly thought of after the Dolphins when he took over as the HC.

You want to imagine he's a laughingstock everywhere else to sell your story that's ok.

#119 LF911SC, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    FJF likes this.
  20. boozer32

Most fans thought they would tank for Sam. I thought they should have because the season was over the moment McCown started. 5 wins was realistic but that was only because Bowles can't coach himself out of a wet paper bag. A genuine real X's and O's coach would have gotten the Jets to 8 and 8.easy. Ok go on record right now and predict how many wins they will have with McCown starting or Darnold starting. Or you can do a split if both play this year. I don't think they will be better than last year. Bates will be the one wrecking the season. Just don't think this guy's heart is in coaching and f he wants to run the old Broncos offense he won't have the players to make it work. Be it offense line blocking, running backs, QB.

LF911SC and NYJetsO12 like this.