Could Jeremy Bates become the next HC?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, May 13, 2018.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Can't we actually get someone who has had a stable and successful resume.....all i want for Christmas are one of these guys
    [​IMG] or[​IMG]

NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Ww knows better,he must be bored.

Walt White likes this.
  3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I've seen plenty of games where he switches coverages from man, which he needs to blitz, to zone to cover for the secondaries inability to cover in man. That same secondary struggles with assignments in zone. It's a talent issue. As I said, most fans think coaching staffs just snap their fingers, switch assignments and the team will automatically change its play. If they don't drastically improve then it's because no changes were made.

I brought up Rex and Mangini to say, no matter the staff the cry is the same. Or do you agree with those who think Mangini, Rex and Bowles haven't made in game changes to try and help units?

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Bowles won 20 and Kotite 4 for the Jets. .

Or look at it this way.:: while both you and your friend have been shot down 28 times your friend's gotten laid 20x versus your 4...

Which one of you is carrying around the wallet with the circular impression on it?

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Josh McCown

Ralebird likes this.
  6. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Lol.

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

All we get here is rhetoric, nobody makes a case for Bowles or Bates being head coach based on their accomplishments, just based on...Bowles? Bates? What have these guys done for you lately? How many chances do they get? When is it okay to make a change so 5 - 11 does not become this team's annual destiny? I'm not as old as Leon Hess was and I've always wanted to give a guy a decent chance but I'm getting impatient after 50 years. How many more chances does Bowles get? How many will Bates get?

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm willing to give Bowles this year to finally put it together, but if he doesn't, if he's still not better at in-game adjustments, and knowing when to go for it on 4th down, and the "D" is still less than mediocre, then he has to go. Should they elevate Bates? At a minimum we have to see what he does, especially with Darnold. If Darnold is progressing towards the FQB he should be, then maybe promote Bates. But if Darnold doesn't show that improvement, Bates should go away.

If Bowles is fired, I would prefer that hire a prove HC with an offense-oriented mindset. In that case, and assuming Bates does a good job this year, see if he wants to stay on as OC, if not, adios.

NYJetsO12 and LF911SC like this.
  9. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

A new head coach is going to want his own guys, so you can forget about Bates staying in that situation. Which would suck because then Darnold has to learn a whole other system. In an ideal world, Bowles gets his shit together (pun intended), and the coaching staff remains the same for the next few years.

10. ColoradoContrails

Agreed, but if Darnold does well under Bates, while the rest of the team sucks again - Bowles's fault - a new HC just might want to keep the continuity. Probably not, but I'm just saying that would the only way Bates stays here, unless he's promoted. In any case, it's far too early to judge whether he's even a good OC, let alone HC.

Ralebird, LF911SC and Jay Bizniss like this.
  11. Jay Bizniss

I can't see our defense outside of the Top 10 to be honest. Call me crazy, but I am not really worried about that side of the ball. I think the plan with Darnold if he starts is to run the shit outta the football. Get his confidence up with lots of play action, then open it all up if he shows he is comfortable mid season. Crowell is touching the ball 25+ times a game.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

[​IMG]

Savagery is over 9000!!!!

FJF likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

I agree, my main grip with Bowles is the fact that he cannot generate a pass-rush especially last season. I think talent is part of the issue, but schematically also, he has to find a way to generate pressure. Jets have a strong secondary. If Bowles cannot find a way to improve the pass-rush, and cannot improve as a HC, he could be gone. I think overall as a HC, Bowles is average. 2 career years out of backup QBs. A decent run defense post Snacks era. McLendon and Leonard Williams are extremely solid.

Jets revamped the defensive line, yet the Jets are still missing an Edge Rusher. They passed on 2 in the draft. That's the 2nd draft, they passed on a deep edge class with last year being the other.

FJF, LF911SC and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

I hope you're right, but so far I don't see that much improvement in the personnel on defense. But of course a lot of the new pieces haven't played yet, and we can only hope that they meet or exceed expectation. If they do, then yes, the "D" should be above average.

I don't know about being run-heavy with Darnold. Yes, they will run a lot, but that's because we know Bowles wants to do that, which is why he fired the previous OC. But I think if Sam shows enough to start Game 1, they're going to use his improvisational ability, they're not going to handcuff him. Ideally, they show a strong running game to keep the pass rushers honest and that gives Sam some time/room to operate. I'm usually a "glass half empty" guy, but I'm thinking the glass is half full right now.

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  15. Jay Bizniss

Can't really blame them for passing on edge this year. We had to go QB with our first round pick, and didn't pick again until round 3.

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

I hate to agree with this, but I have to.

And I hate to admit that I'm starting to trust Macc's decisions a little more. I'm not ready to send him to Canton, but I do see that he has a plan - although I don't know exactly what that is, it's clear he has a vision is working towards it, and he is making progress on balance, so while I wish the progress was faster, I'm okay with letting him play it out.

Bowles on the other hand needs to deliver this year or he needs gone.

17. 101GangGreen101

First round had to be a QB, but the 3rd round, Jets had a shot at a prospect. Sam Hubbard (USC), and Arden Key (LSU) were available and they passed on them.

Key, I believe had some character issues, but Hubbard wasn't that bad of a pass-rusher over in USC.

I like the guy we took in the 3rd round, but COULD'VE had a pass rusher in that round.

18. Jay Bizniss

Agree with your thoughts on Mac. He is taking this thing slow and steady which I like. I want to build this thing the right way so we are relevant in the AFC for the next 10+ years. Tired of the one good season/three bad seasons pattern we always tend to follow.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Jay Bizniss

Key I wouldn't have been mad with at all. I remember before last summer they were talking about Key being a Top 10 pick. Maybe they are holding out for Bosa next year. Could you imagine him and Leonard together? They say he is better than his older brother. Too bad we would need to be in the Top 3 to get him.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

Its gonna be a very deep class, so while the Jets more than likely wont get Bosa, Jets should be in position to take a pass-rusher next year. Jets had so many chances to get a pass-rusher in the Mac era, regardless of round and they just straight up ignore it as if its not a need.

Jay Bizniss likes this.