Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

FJAY it is pitch black by me and stupid windy out,,,lights just flickered I have 2 branches down in yard just insane

2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

ps it has not even really begun yet,,thunder in distance and just began to rain

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Big stick in the road on the Taconic just took my tire. It was either take the stick or side swipe a truck along side me . Waiting in a tow and hoping it doesn’t get worse in the mean time

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Shit man.... that sucks. Almost as dumb as trying to outrun an Irma tornado spawning feeder band. ;)

A stick took you out? Don't you drive a truck?

pouring down here.... tropical rain dump style

5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

be safe Fjay that sucks,,,,,,branches down everywhere Tree down next door my buddy is in Conn and can't get to 95 because of down trees,,,,,hope u are ok Fjay

6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Spoke to a friend who has a buddy at Orange n Rockland power says 20,000 people in Rockland without electric,,,,,,says west of me got crushed

FJF likes this.
  7. FJF

Home safe 2 mile tow costs 125.
    Side wall of tire is slashed. Guess it could have been worse. Thanks for the well wishes

CBG likes this.
  8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Glad u are ok and made it home alive Fjay,,,,,Im off to take the kid and a friend to a concert,,, wish me luck guys

FJF likes this.
  9. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

The storm literally snapped in two and went opposite ways as it hit NYC. We got almost zero lightning and very little wind

CBG likes this.
  10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

DAMN.... just saw the national news. Glad everyone's ok.
    Good to know that I'm not the only dumbass though ;)

11. FJF

And the kids just picked up a 2 hour delay tomorrow .

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Sorry about that, FJF, that really sucks. Glad you didn't get seriously injured. It was wild here yesterday. A lot of times I don't check the weather. Yesterday was one of those times. I didn't know the storm was coming. It was cloudy with some light rain, that's about it. I was walking my dog and everything went almost completely black (out of nowhere). I started getting pistol whipped by the wind. I've been caught in the middle of the woods in some very serious T-storms where I could have easily been killed by falling trees, lightning, or both, but this was some biblical level type shit. I could've sworn I saw 'Surrender Dorothy' written across the sky. The lightning was so close you could smell the ozone, and I had to wrestle with the front door to get it open when I reached my house.

I went down to our finished basement and me Henry the dog went into the bathroom to wait it out (there are no windows in there). We stayed there until the wind had almost completely died down. Holy Crap, you know the lightning in the end scene in one of my favorite flicks of all time, 'The Bride of Frankenstein'? It was like that, and the thunder? Sonic booms and the wrath of God put together. Maybe Thor is a real thing (shrugs)?

I live in the lower Hudson River Valley. Tornadoes touched down in Chester, Warwick, and Newburgh. Two people in Newburgh were killed. Liberty Street got demolished. There's a stretch of Liberty Street that's still crap (drugs, crime, urban blight), but there's also a stretch that is doing really great (regentrified, booming small businesses, eclectic retail, a handful of fun chi-chi boutique restaurants). The City of Newburgh is still in a state of emergency. Two other people were also killed in CT, and some parts of Westchester Co. also got hit pretty hard. The thing that was weird about it was that there were all of these separate pockets of violence and the next town over? Zip. My power came back on a short time ago. I'm in disbelief to be honest. Our power goes out on a sunny day for no explicable reason sometimes. F you, Central Hudson! They really are awful, and man, do I ever have a 'Central Hudson Story'. I'll tell it later if anyone cares to be bored comatose.

http://newburghrestoration.com/blog/2018/05/15/newburgh-tornado-devastates-the-city/

Anyway, I hope your truck suffered less hail damage than your noggin. Mother Nature can be a scary bitch, that's for damn sure.

FJF likes this.
  13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Welcome tho NY the new Seattle where it rains everyday

FJF likes this.
  14. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

Hate to sound like a selfish dick as my heart truly does go out to those who were affected up there, but are things functional in downtown Newburgh?
    My wife and I are staying at a bed & breakfast tonight and tomorrow to celebrate our first anniversary and wasn’t sure if we should stay away from that area as we have reservations at a restaurant on Front St tomorrow night.

15. jetophile

Sections of Newburgh are still like Fort Apache the Bronx, but it's better than it used to be. Nah, no worries about Front Street. Along the waterfront/Hudson is perfectly fine. You just have to watch your back like in any city. Not sure what B & B you're staying in, but my highest recommendation is The Caldwell House:

https://www.caldwellhouse.com/

I can't talk that place up enough. It's beautiful. If you don't stay in the Main House but stay in the fully renovated Carriage House, guess what? You'll be eating breakfast at the table I grew up eating meals on for over 45 years. I sold the table and benches to the proprietor for an amazing price. I had no intention of throwing it/them out, but my house is incredibly small and that table and benches went to me - more like got dumped on me, haha - because my folks had no room for it, either, when they down-sized. It was sad to let it go, but comforting that other people would get to enjoy it

There's also a REALLY cool Revolutionary War Era graveyard on the property that they'd be more than happy to show you. They very lovingly fixed it and cleaned it up. I'm a boneyard denizen and I've literally taken thousands upon thousand upon thousands of photos in cemeteries. I've taken at least 100 in that boneyard alone (before it was restored). They're very atmospheric. Quite of few Irish folks bones in there. Oh, well, next time. If you come up again in the Fall, book there. The foliage is always a treat in the Shawangunks. Lots of local look out points and great hiking.

Back to Front Street, my fellow artist in crime, Garin Baker, is a muralist for income and a fine artist by vocation. He knows all about the grant process, proposals, legalities, builds his own scaffolding, the whole magilla. Trust me, he's no slouch. Classically trained, as in cadavers/muscles/sinew. Personally I like his quick sketchy "unfinished" work better (nudes and figure studies), but he's unbelievably talented. So he won a bid and got a grant to create a mural on Front Street some years back. What a bunch of bureaucratic bullshit. They kept cheaping him on supplies and he kept saying if I use that paint, it's gonna peel and flake off in three years. He kept getting overruled. Well our experts say . . . OK, whatever. Guess what? It peeled and flaked off in three years. You can still see what's left of it. There's also another smaller one of his way further down, across the street from the old 'Vino 100' and the now sadly defunct 'Yellowbird Gallery'. He also has a mural in the shitty DMV on lower Broadway, lol.

Because it's your first wedding anniversary, may I suggest Commodore Chocalatier? Just for romance sake. It's a time piece. I can't go in there without spending $40 bucks a pop. I'm a dark chocolate freak, but however you roll meaning if it's milk-chocolate, they make it, they got it. All made in-house. I immediately start salivating like one of Pavlov's dogs when the bell jingles when I open the door. The owner is really eccentric, haha, and everyone is so friendly and polite. Third generation - or is it fourth? - owners. If you're coming down 17K, it's on upper Broadway on your left.

[​IMG]

There really is so much to do around here. If you want any other suggestions, feel free to PM. Congrats!

#13615 jetophile, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jeto,,,,,,,The city that comes to mind immediately when I think of Newburgh is NEWARK, both start with the word "NEW" but both are downright scary / dangerous ,,,,, as they say in CANCUN don't venture off the beaten path or DO NOT LEAVE THE COMPOUND !!!!

FJF likes this.
  17. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

Wow thanks for the wealth of info!
    Yep, that’s exactly where we’re staying, in the Carriage House to boot.

Wasn’t so much talking about the overall state of the city as I know it has its reputation but more asking about how the city’s recovering from the storm on Tuesday and if there are any streets or areas that are affected by outages, downed trees, etc.

But regardless, I greatly appreciate the info and unfortunately we’re not gonna quite have enough tike to hit all those things(but will definitely make an effort to hit the chocolatier as I’m a certified chocoholic) as my wife really wants to do the brotherhood winery tour.

Thanks again!

CBG likes this.
  18. jetophile

You should've seen it when I was in HS. Drive-bys, shootings, and stabbings every five minutes. The violence ebbs and flows, it's still there; but it really is so exponentially better than in years past. Again, it's like any other city with some areas of extreme poverty, homelessness, and neglect, but it has improved tremendously. The Town of Newburgh is a bit different. Some better than decent and also great residential blocks with older very well-kept homes. Balmville still has some really cool old grand dame houses. No, it's not like the Cliff Walk in Newport, RI, lol. A good deal of them are falling apart, but there are still some that are very well maintained. Newburgh has a really fascinating history. The nouveau riche and old money alike (see Harlem in NYC, very similar vein), hence all of the brownstones.

The Dutch Reformed Church is really cool at night. Just don't go there alone, haha. It's right near the Library.

CBG likes this.
  19. jetophile

HOLY CRAP!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! You can't make it up!!!! The Brotherhood Winery ain't what it used to be architecturally after they suffered a horrific fire years ago, but it's worlds better in another. The wine tour is a lot of fun, you'll both enjoy it. Fortunately for you, the new owner (as in about 20 years ago), has re-vamped their line and some of their reds are actually pretty decent now. It used to be the worst swill you possibly imagine, one step above Night Train. The owner has a family vineyard in Portugal or Chile (I forget which now, but I'm pretty sure it's Chile), so he also stocks some of that in the wine shop.

Sorry for the misread as to Front Street. Only Blu Pointe Grill and Billy Joe's are open for business right now if that helps.

EDIT & P.S. about the Winery: What I meant to say was that a big part of it burned down, but the the ruins of what's couldn't be saved is still visible. The wine is much better than back that. Hope that makes more sense.

#13619 jetophile, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
  20. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

And Blu Pointe is where are reservation’s at, perfect!