The case for keeping Hackenberg in 2018

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

By all means, Hackenburg has been a bust. a 2nd round QB that hasn't seen a snap in a game in his 1st 2 years and now is second fiddle to darnold drafted 3rd overall. We have Teddy and Mccown and Darnold on the roster so why keep a 4th QB?

1) managing a roster is about the future as well as the present. Looking at 2019, Mccown will be 39 before this season. I can't see him playing at 40 years old. He'll likely hang them up after this year. Teddy is on a one year deal with a questionable knee. He wants to be a starter as well again. If he's not healthy he won't be here in 2019, If he is healthy he'll try and find a job as a starer elsewhere. Teams always carry 3 QBs. If we cut hackenburg now, it means for 2019 the only QB on the roster will be darnold and we'll need to find his backup and 3rd stringer and have them start from scratch. It creates a hole when we have other holes to fill

2) He's dirt cheap. He's on his rookie deal as a 2nd round pick. he only counts 1.3 mil against this year and 1.5 next year (final year) Cutting him only saves 500k this year and about 1 mil next year in a year where we have about 100mil to spend. after you pay his replacement it's essentially cheaper to keep him in a posiiton that will likely never see the field

3) Assets. Players in the NFL are assets and injuries happen. QB is the biggest position in the game. If Mccown wins the job (likely) and teddy proves to be healthy, another team could lose their QB and the jets could trade Teddy for a draft pick. We seen Teddy go down and the vikes trade for bradford to replace him. Even if we can net a 2nd rounder for him, it's a free pick and we wouldn't create a hole

4) The team. He's been with the team for 2 years. never caused any waves or drama. Seems to be well liked by the franchise. They chose to keep him over petty who was released. He'll be at camp and bates offense won't be much different then what we ran last year. He knows the system. A new player coming in would have to start from scratch.

5) there is still hope! sure he may never a starter in the NFL, but it doens't mean he can't be a decent back-up. Look at most teams back-up Qbs. save for the eagles it's mostly just trash. A career back-up still has value if cheap.

6) He's young and healthy, Mccown is old and teddy's knee may still not be good. Having an extra young healthy body around is a good thing

As far as the downsides go? well he eats up a roster spot that could have gone to another player who at least contributes on special teams. Likely a LBer or CB that can easily be replaced. not much downside to keeping him around.

#1 GasedAndConfused, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
  2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It is time for him to perform. The team has clearly moved on from the possibility of him ever being the starter. He could still earn a backup job, but his scholarship has expired. Time to put up kid.

3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

^Perform? Is there a Football Dysfunction drug? If so, Hackenberg needs it. FD, in this male dominant/enhanced sexual performance society, why hasn't some asshole come up with this and manage to get it covered by insurance just like for limp penises when PAP smears, mammograms, and gynecological preventative care is still often denied? The Ci alis ads at The Old Dump used to infuriate me. Flaccid dicks covered by insurance, what a country! What was this about again? Right, Hackenberg.

Disclaimer: Satire. Somewhat. LOL, I couldn't post at first because Ci alis is a banned word, hahahaha, c'mon. I can say cunt pig fucker cum sucker but not Ci alis? That made my day

donkey, xxedge72x and Mogriffjr like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Didn’t read anything but the title.
    The case for keeping hackenberg is he is one of the top 3 qbs on the roster when it’s time to make cuts. Same case there is for keeping teddy and the same case for keeping mccown.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  5. jetophile

Liv itra and Vi agra are also banned words. LMFAO.

6. jetophile

Tylenol. Whaddaya know, that worked. Still laughing.

7. GasedAndConfused

at least read the first one and it makes much more sense :)

8. GasedAndConfused

Most likely due to spam from sites trying to sell those pills. They are famous for spamming forums with ads.

abyzmul likes this.
  9. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

The only reason he will make it over Teddy, is the fact that he is healthy. Nothing to do with talent. With Hack you at least have a number 3 option you can count on if it ever came to that. I doubt Teddy would last a game personally.

10. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

He's done and he's toast. Let someone else carry his baggage.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

At least once a week at work I will get calls from telemarketers in India.

"Markets Development, this is abyzmul."

"Hello sir. Are you looking out for medications?"

"What?"

"Are you looking for medications?"

"What?"

"We have the vyagras and the codeines sir. Very good deals sir."

"Do you have the Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer?"

"..."

"Hello?"

"Are you looking out for the medications?"

Footballgod214 and jetophile like this.
  12. jetophile

"We have the vyagras and the codeines sir." Hahaha, my sides are splitting. What will happen if I type in codeine on here? Well, I know purple drank will go through, but that's hilarious.

EDIT & P.S.: Codeine worked. I'm seriously busting a gut. It appears it's just ED drugs.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

14. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

That first preseason drive vs the Giants was still more impressive then Bryce petty's whole career body of work

GasedAndConfused and abyzmul like this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Truth.

Although he was playing against guys who work in cubicles now.

6-10 once again likes this.
  16. jetophile

S-o-o-o-o-o, Hackenberg and the case for keeping him. The tangent was more fun. Sorry, SolidGoldBowles. I apologize, and please ignore the unintentional high jack. The Jets can always Extenze his contract.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  17. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Did not read.

18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

McCown never makes it through 16 games. Even if Bridgewater is healthy enough to play, he'll always be on hit away form being done. Our O-line this year isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

Remember that time the Jets lost Pennington and Fiedler in the same game (I think it was the same DRIVE)? I'd be fine with them taking five or six QBs to camp this year and hanging on to 4 or 5 all the way until final roster cuts. As long as they aren't taking too many of Sam's snaps.

As it is, with McCown, Teddy, Darnold, and Hack, I hope they have at least a couple veteran FAs on speed dial for when things go bad. Have you seen the list of free agent QBs right now? I'd rather bring back Joel Stave than have to call Jay Cutler or Mark Sanchez....

19. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Hack is our #2 until Teddy/Sam prove they can play.

Great QB play (winning) is not expected this year IMO, getting to a point where Sam can take over is the goal.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

There is absolutely no reason to consider keeping hackenberg anymore that there was a reason to draft him to begin with...whoever we have playing center would be a better qb that hackenshit would.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.