Be thankful for McCown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by macbk, May 11, 2018.

1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

2. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

McCown is our starter. He will teach Sam about playing at NFL speeds. Sam may be ready to start by the 4th or 5th week. I hope it is successful.
    He is the QB of our future, and I'm happy with that.

3. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

It's different situations for those franchise quarterbacks who've won Super Bowls as thee guy. They have plenty left in their tank. Josh McCown is a journeyman qb at his career crossroads, and his tank is reading "low fuel." He could get into coaching if he wanted to. I can't see Ben or Joe ever becoming coaches.

RochesterJet, harts24 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I could argue for Ben, but Flacco? He really has been bottom tier the past few seasons. At least Ben is good for multiple 300+ passing yard games a season.

NYJetsO12 and LAJet like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lamar gonna take his job anyway, dude is nervous as shit

stinkyB likes this.
  6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Maybe it’s a matter of a veteran giving the rookie a hard time so he doesn’t get too comfortable too fast. It happens a lot in some jobs, earn your stripes before you start acting like you have accomplished anything.

I wouldn’t make a big deal of this until we hear they are not getting along.

In my nature of work it’s the same thing, veterans don’t have anything to do with rookies, just to keep them in check. We won’t do anything to harm them or let them get harmed but it’s not rainbows and unicorns.

7. playtowinthegame

Are you comparing Josh McCown's situation to Joe Flacco's? Apples and Oranges

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Nope, I'm comparing Ben & Flacco, in terms of the two clearly both annoyed by the fact that their teams drafted QBs. At least Ben has had good seasons under his belt, despite the injuries. Flacco on the other hand...

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Same arrogance that prematurely jettisoned Jimmy Garapolo from NE. Brady did not want any distraction or an eventual successor breathing down his neck. I think that speaks volume as to how the FQBs don't give two shits about back ups and it's all about themselves. I think sooner than later Lamar will replace Flacco and his hugely over inflated contract anyhow. It won't be long before Ben body gives up on him completely. Same goes there. It's a crying shame that they have to be assholes instead of mentors. That is shortsided and stupid, and it does not mean shit how good you are or not.

rohirrim665 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets thanked McCown, a career backup, with 10 million dollars. We don't need to be thankful for him.

#10 abyzmul, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    geomon, Peebag, stinkyB and 3 others like this.
  11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

It's comparing McCown's willingness to help Teddy and Darnold. Ben and Flacco apparently cannot be bothered. It's not good for the team if what's being reported is true.

That's what I am comparing here.

Footballgod214, K'OB and LF911SC like this.
  13. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Ben is the one who openly talked about retirement just a year ago. Was contemplating stepping out. Now after they draft what they hope is his replacement he gets his panties twisted. Brilliant

westiedog1, Mogriffjr and wewantsapp like this.
  14. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

That's not the point. Being a dick has nothing to do with how talented you are

15. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Bingo. My point exactly. Hence despite McCown being the shittier player of the three, he knows his place and what needs to be done to better the QB's around him, in the name of the team.

LF911SC likes this.
  16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Sometimes I'm thankful for McCown. Kinda like I was thankful for road rash when my late, great dog, Bela Lugosi, dragged me down the street and totally rolled me to chase a cat.

abyzmul and 6-10 once again like this.
  17. playtowinthegame

You creation of this thread suggest you're comparing all three quarterbacks (situations) that were starters last season for their respective teams, who all drafted a possible future franchise qb.

I see the Steelers and Ravens situations entirely different than the Jets. You don't compare franchise quarterbacks who've both won Super Bowls to a journeyman qb likely in the last year of his career. Of course McCown's going to be very cooperative with the No. 3 overall pick. He's practically a qb coach for the Jets who still puts on the shoulder pads on game day. McCown is more Don Strock, than franchise quarterback finishing out the last chapter of a career.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Where in these Quarterback's contracts does it state that they have to take the younger QB under their wing?

If Roethlisberger and/or Flacco were 40, career journeyman and at the end of their careers, that would be one thing. It's a totally different scenario with these guys as it is for McCown.

At the end of the day, it's up to Rudolph, Jackson and the rest of these young QB's to do it themselves. Favre wasn't out there helping Rodgers every day.

NYJetsO12 and playtowinthegame like this.
  19. playtowinthegame

I forgot he's getting $10 million. I guess that's the going rate for an emergency starter, qb coach, locker room chemistry guy.

boozer32 and FJF like this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That story was second only to the angry squirrel. RIP Bela.