I think Teddy starts all 16 games...(Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, May 4, 2018.

1. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

2018 is the present. We have a season to play till we get to the future. Until darnold is ready I would like to win some football games and I would rather see a healthy teddy then mccown behind center. If that does not happen so be it. It’s the jets football team nor the NY Darnolds

FlaJet likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jeff Fisher:
    - The year Case Keenum leaves he has a career year w/out Fisher.
    - The year after Jeff Fisher got fired and they got McVay, all of a sudden Goff breaks out
    - Couldn't develop a relationship with Vince Young

Todd Bowles:
    - Career year out of Fitzpatrick
    - Career year out of Josh McCown
    - Gave Hack and Petty every shot to win the job, yet stunk ... so he gave it to the best player to play the position

No parallels there

K'OB, TonyFtLaud, LF911SC and 2 others like this.
  3. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I was joking.

The discussion was “how can a high draft pick QB sit for a few games his first year”?

Answer: a bunch of great QBs did years ago.

Well, a “recent” one?

Answer: Jared Goff Exhibit A.

4. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

I guess, but there have been way too many Quarterbacks between 1995 and 2018 and the majority get on to the field during their first season. Whether or not that's the correct approach I'm not sure. It's a case by case basis. If Darnold proves he's ready and the coaching staff feels he's ready, he'll be out there. McCown can't last a season and I'll believe Bridgewater can be effective in an NFL game when I see him be effective in an NFL game and no I don't count Preseason.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Love this post, but would caution that in McCown's case, the offense Morton ran last year helped him a ton. McCown certainly did his job and posted stats, but his limitations were still painfully obvious and didn't help the Jets stay competitive in certain games.

Based on everything I've come to understand about the offense Bates runs, if McCown ends up the starter again, I'm expecting his numbers to drop from last year. It isn't a reflection of play as much as scheme.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I agree about the McCown scenario you pointed out, they won't be slinging the ball as much back when Morton was calling the plays. McCown did have limitations, and wasn't that good at the end of games. I think the offense is pretty QB friendly in terms of formations, but the plays have to start coming in quicker then last year, it was a huge issue and that causes the QB to have to make quicker decisions (or incorrect decisions) prior to the snap. Tendencies and tempo have to change.

- Jets have to get the calls in quicker at the LOS
    - Re-establish play action game

I feel as tho the play-action game has been sorely missed in this offense, with Bates and his style it should come back in a big way.

However, it would be nice not to see McCown out there at all.

xxedge72x likes this.
  7. xxedge72x

Agreed, McCown starting is worst possible scenario. Either want Bridgewater to rise like the Phoenix or Darnold to show he's the man immediately. Fingers crossed.

8. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

A lot of posts all offseason seem to indicate that several people on here either don't know the Jets have changed OCs, or think Morton and Bates run the same system. I suspect we have a few regular posters who don't know that Fitzpatrick and McCown are different people, either, so I don't know why I'm surprised...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. xxedge72x

I think offensive systems that are more predicated on a good running game give fans a lot of anxiety when paired with a struggling team. Somewhat expecting that to happen this year, but fingers crossed.

10. Teddy's Elbow

Teddy's Elbow Member

If Teddy gets a chance to play and you get more exposure to him you'll see why. Teddy has an ability to really win fans over with his personality, character, and clutch play. But one can't be talked into it, you just have to see it. At the same time there is a very strong chance Teddy never plays in NY and is dropped to avoid conflict with Project Darnold, so it is what it is...

11. Teddy's Elbow

Teddy's Elbow Member

That doesn't have a strong arm label is definitely old. Unfortunately no one got to see it really but in the offseason before he snapped his leg, Teddy put on about 15 pounds of muscle and in training camp and preseason his arm was noticeably more powerful on long throws. he's still jacked, but we'll find out for sure in August how his arm is.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Putting on muscle is nice, but when you add muscle to the arm it has an effect on the natural throwing motion. Just pounding the weights doesn't make you a stronger thrower.

#172 abyzmul, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Doreblade likes this.
  13. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

One thing to both of you and xxe's post on Morton getting all the credit for McCown. McCown had what seemed like most of his success in the first half of games, fading as that half closed and struggling in the second half. Turns out the first few series were pre planned scripted plays. This part of the offense was set up and scripted by Bates, not Morton. We may be in a lot better place than people think. The stubbornness, the infamous 3 straight passes from inside the 5, the quitting at the end of games were on Morton.

14. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I’m just going by what I saw at Louisville and his first two years in Minny. I watched him a lot in college and my son-in-law is from Minny so I watched as many games as I could and we talked about him after almost every game.

If he’s improved his arm strength he’ll be starting somewhere next year and will be back in the Pro Bowl at some point.

15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, that seems pretty accurate. As games wore on McCown tended to make his crucial turnovers and they always seemed like he was forcing a throw when it happened, trying to do too much.
    Was there ever any real info on the reasons for Morton leaving? If there was I missed it.
    But apparently Bowles was dissatisfied over all. And you may very well be correct that Morton came up short in his end game.

LF911SC and abyzmul like this.
  16. abc

abc Well-Known Member

I think Teddy starts all 16 games...(Mega Thread for Teddy)...

Teddy aren't you supposed to be still rehabbing?

17. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

All I gotta say is get ready for the Teddy Bots.

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Seriously, what the hell is this? How the hell does Teddy Bridgewater have such passionate fans? At least Tim Tebow was kind of a viral sensation, Teddy is just kind of… Existing.

19. xxedge72x

Always a problem when the non-throwing arm is considerably stronger at the beginning of training camp. Makes you wonder what the off-season training program consisted of.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL Funny and sad at the same time, but probably true. In some of their defense, Beachum was interviewed a week or so ago, and whether he was being truthful or even knew what he was talking about, he claimed that the offense wasn't going to be radically different. He claimed that they were going to keep what worked well last season and add some new elements.