Case to Keep Teddy

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, May 4, 2018.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I have been doing a lot of research on Teddy lately, mostly because of the newer reports that he seems to be doing well in the gym and his health appears to be trending in the right direction. The more I learn about this guy, the more I'm excited to have him part of our organization. He's similar to Josh McCown in how he motivates others around him and inspires him through his work ethic.

My thought is as long as he is able to play, we need to keep him on the roster at least this year. Allow the younger guys to learn from him and take on his work ethic. He's one of the good ones and I couldn't be happier to have him in the room. Plus it would be nice to have him accompany Darnold on the sideline this first year, to explain what's happening on certain plays and what certain defensive alignments mean for the play. Teddy is similar to Sam in how he made plays out of pocket.

Not sure after this year, but Teddy should be part of the 2018 Jets roster.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Can he survive the first big hit on the leg? Or the second? Can he get back into form after 2yrs away? The only reason why Hackenberg is still on the roster is insurance against Bridgewater's knee turning to mush at some point. McCown/Bridgewater/Darnold/Hackenberg for now..If Bridgewater can't cut it: McCown/Darnold/Hackenberg/pray.

Optimism is nice but reality is a cast iron bitch sometimes. Especially when it comes to the New York Jets.

Br4d, TonyFtLaud, CotcheryFan and 6 others like this.
  3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I wanted the JETS to draft him that year, so I was glad they gave him a chance.
    Now with Darnold in the fold, and Teddy on a 1 year deal he doesnt have much of a future here barring a miracle (or disaster).
    Either way, I'm hoping for a good season from him, then let the chips fall as they may

Br4d, CotcheryFan, LF911SC and 4 others like this.
  4. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I was hoping the Jets would draft him the year he came out too, but I guess they already had Geno . . .

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The Jets and Bridgewater both knew they were targeting a franchise QB when he signed. He will be on the roster this year short of his health preventing him from playing.

Cman68 and Attackett like this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If he's healthy, he'll be on the roster. He's a good dude, definitely the kind of guy you want around the locker room, just not a good QB unless he somehow improved on being mediocre while at the same time missing two years because of a major injury. If he can make it physically, he'll stay on and then leave next year unless he's fine with being Darnold's backup.

Br4d and FrontOfficeFanatic like this.
  7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Teddy over Hack is a no brainer if health is out of the equation. Where it becomes dicey is when we factor in how his leg is doing and how it holds up through the rigors of training camp and preseason ball. If he's healthy, then for sure he should make it.

Br4d and TonyFtLaud like this.
  8. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I definitely get the health concern, I wouldn't count on him being the guy for us this year...I was very nervous when we first signed him...not knowing we would eventually land Darnold. With that said, these are the guys that really carry and inspire culture change in the locker room. For the longest time, we could all agree that this roster lacked youth, talent and elite players, but the biggest thing it lacked was good leadership to keep us going through bad games or bad plays. Having guys like Josh, Teddy, Jamal and Mcclendon around is pivotal for a rebuilding team and I have faith we have that leadership now.

9. Cman68

The Jets were and are a far cry from the Bengals. We had guys that were too stupid to call a limo from the club. We even had a guy bring a Bushmaster assault rifle to the stadium. For the most part, there aren't any real thugs on the roster. We got plenty of high character guys inhouse that can handle things. I give you Big Cat and RA as a prime example. Nothing wrong with having nice guys in the lockerroom, but they better be able to contribute on a high level or they are dead weight in the big picture.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

To quote Donald Sutherland in Kelly's Heroes, there you go making with those negative waves. LOL Fortune seems to be smiling on us. Contrary to popular opinion, we CAN have nice things. Our franchise just needed to earn that good luck with making good decisions and doing things the right way. Teddy's gonna stay healthy, start and have a great season. Mac's gonna have a real tough decision to make going into the offseason. He could sign Teddy long term and the cap for QB still wouldn't be out of line as Darnold will be cheap for 5 years. He could let them compete next season or in 2020 for the starting job. In all likelihood, however, if Teddy does stay healthy and has a great season, he's probably gonna wanna test the FA waters, and since we probably will be active in FA fixing the OL (I hope, I hope!), we'd have to tag and trade him if we want to get anything for him.

But anything could happen. Darnold could start looking like a bust this season and we could be very glad we have Teddy. For now, I'm just glad that we have Teddy not only to help mentor Darnold and be a leader in the locker room and an example and inspiration for the other players, but hopefully on the field as well.

ukjetsfan and LAJet like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. He is a good QB. A big part of the problem was the offense that Teddy played in his first couple of seasons, and at the end of his second season and the preseason where he was injured, he was looking like a breakthrough season was on the way.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Love that shirt:

"Blame nobody..Expect Nothing..Do Something"

13. NYJetsO12

So they let Petty go (who will be picked up by some Team, I believe) but we STILL hold on to Hackenberg??

"trying to change his throwing motion"..really?

Cman68 likes this.
  14. Cman68

Look, that's their story and they're gonna stick to it ok? I think its safe to say this is Hackenberg's last chance with the Jets. Macc will have to cut him if we get a 3peat of Hack the wayward QB. At the moment, all Hackenberg is is insurance against Bridgewater's knee not able to absorb NFL punishment.

#13 Cman68, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Teddy the first 10 games of 2015: 65% completion, 211 yards per game, 8 TD, 6 INT,16 rush ypg, 2 rush TD

Teddy the last 6 games of 2015: 66% completion (one 85% game makes this higher), 188 yards per game, 6 TD, 3 INT, 6 rush ypg, 1 rush TD
    Teddy in the 2015 playoffs: 70% completion, 146 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 0 rush yards

Teddy did play well in the 2 preseason games he played in, but threw 18 passes total so I'm not ready to put a ton of stock into that yet. Either way the notion that he turned it on at the end of 2015 is just false. Take away the outlier 85% game and all of his numbers go down. To his credit, he was asked to be a game manager and he was. But that also means we have no way to tell what he'll be when asked to do more.

16. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Who came up with that? Teddy Roosevelt?

17. NYJetsO12

Who's the Dude working out with Teddy? Looks like one of ours...maybe it's him

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  18. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Let's see if he's healthy enough first before wasting a roster spot.

19. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

So...what if he starts all 16 games.

Has anyone pondered that.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I was too busy pondering if he tears it up.

Jets69, FJF and ukjetsfan like this.
  21. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I disagree. If mccown is on this roster beyond this year someone deserves to be fired. That means even if Darnold is ready he'll need a back up. I see no downside to having teddy here for any length of time