Jets release Bryce Petty

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 3, 2018.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Never forget that 49ers comeback and OT win. Great effort by Petty. Great kid, just wasn't good enough on the field. I think good enough for a back-up role somewhere else though. Good luck!

Cman68, xxedge72x and JetFanInPA like this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Stay in your lane bro

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Just another in a long line of back up qbs that would never be the savior. Good luck where ever he lands.

Cman68, xxedge72x and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  4. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Honestly don't see Teddy or Hack being cut. After this season, Hack will be the only QB under contract aside from Darnold. I wouldn't be shocked if I'm wrong, but I see Teddy staying on active roster and Hack going to PS.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The team wasnt good.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

There's no shot that the jets carry 4 QB's to the season. I think either one of teddy or hack will be cut, and I think it'll be teddy who's cut or traded. But who knows, we'll all find out soon enough

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As it turns out, he wasn't very good, but I place a lot of that on the CS. He did whatever was asked of him and never complained, and I hope he gets rewarded for that wherever he lands.

NYJalltheway, nicg4360 and xxedge72x like this.
  8. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Bryce Petty Time with Jets is over....it wasn't fun while it lasted.

FJF likes this.
  9. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

That would be carrying 3. McCown, Teddy, Darnold (Hack to PS)

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I will be shocked if Teddy is cut and Hack retained. Teddy on crutches or in a wheelchair would be a better QB than Hack.

boozer32 likes this.
  11. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

By Darryl Slater

dslater@njadvancemedia.com

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

In an expected move, the Jets on Thursday cut quarterback Bryce Petty, a league source confirmed to NJ Advance Media.

That means the Jets now have four quarterbacks -- Sam Darnold, Josh McCown, Teddy Bridgewater, and Christian Hackenberg -- heading into spring practices. The Jets' first organized team activities practice is May 22.

The Jets drafted Petty in Round 4 in 2015. He didn't play as a rookie, and then struggled during the action he received from 2016-17.

Was 2018 NFL Draft a success for Jets?
    Petty's final stats with the Jets: 10 games, seven starts (1-6 record), four touchdowns, 10 interceptions, and a 57.7 quarterback rating.

Something had to give in the Jets' quarterback room after they drafted Darnold third overall, re-signed McCown, and signed Bridgewater, who is coming off a serious knee injury.

And Petty was the first domino to fall. The Jets also could cut Hackenberg, a second-round pick in 2016 who hasn't been good enough to appear in a regular season game yet.

Bridgewater's spot on the roster isn't secure, because it's not clear if his knee will be up to par. He essentially hasn't played for two seasons after sustaining a devastating, non-contact knee injury in 2016 training camp.

The Jets definitely will have McCown and Darnold entering Week 1 -- and Darnold will have every opportunity to compete for the starting job in training camp -- but it's not clear how the rest of their quarterback room will look.

Because of the uncertainty surrounding Bridgewater's knee, the Jets could opt to carry four quarterbacks into training camp and wait to make a decision on Hackenberg, who clearly has no future with the Jets as their starter, after they picked Darnold.

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We've landed on the moon!

themorey likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I wouldn't place too much of it on the CS. He just wasn't good. And that's fine... that's a realistic possibility when you take a mid-round QB.

Harpua likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree regarding Teddy. No other team showed interest in signing Teddy when the Jets did. Who are they going to trade him to, the Calgary Stampede? Teddy is a proven NFL QB. He played some last season. He's not too injured. Unless the Jets doctors have said that Teddy should never play again or can barely walk, if Mac cuts Teddy to keep Hack, Mac should be fired on the spot.

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I just don't get how the same coaching staff that got a career year out of McCown is at fault for Petty not being a good player. The differences between the team with McCown to Petty were obvious. That is on the lack of skill of the player, not the coaches.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Who will last longer? Kellen Clemens or Bryce Petty?

17. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Agreed. The odds of finding FQB in rounds 4 through 7 are extremely high. I read somewhere that only 3 quarterbacks out of 36 drafted in round 4 since 1994 have made just one pro bowl. Weird thing is there are better odds in round 6. Bottom line Bryce is just another statistic in round 4.

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

That's unfair, Clemens got to meet the Pope and have his daughter blessed by him. He literally has God on his side. :p

19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Joel Stave says hello! Haha, I never even heard of that guy or even knew he was on the PS. We used to have a guy named Stu Someone, Stuart (?) Someone at QB. I'm not dreaming. It was in the late 2000s, I think. Oh, well, Petty, Stave, Stu Someone, and Ricky Ray can all clink glasses together in a dive bar now. Such is life.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

He seemed like a good guy but man he just might’ve been the worst QB I’ve ever seen, coming from a Jets fan that says a lot. I hope he gets a chance to hold another teams clipboard but I think it’s safe to say he started his last NFL game, maybe he’ll go on to have a nice long CFL career.