Big Mac says QB position is an open competiton and darnold can win

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, May 2, 2018.

1. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Gotta see it in action not shorts. See if it sticks. Hes a big strong kid, so no doubt be can do it and keep the velocity

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

There's an article out there that talks about how he tended to drop the ball initiating that long wind-up mostly on throws of 30+ yards. Palmer tested the velocity of these same throws w/o the wind-up and it was the same. So they determined that it was all in his head. Subconsciously, he was feeling the need to drop the ball whenever he was planning to drive it when it really made no difference. To break the habit Palmer has him keep his left hand on the ball as long as possible until release. Seemed to work on this pro-day, but I agree we'll have to see if he reverts back to old habits when the bullets are live.

ColoradoContrails and zace like this.
  3. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Here's a question for everyone saying we should cut Petty & Hack and carry McCown, Darnold & Bridgewater. What purpose does Bridgewater serve here? Is he here solely in the event that McCown gets hurt and Darnold's not ready to go? I think Bridgewater's sole purpose for the Jets is as trade bait for them to trade to someone who desperately needs a QB.

Bridgewater will be gone next year (he's going to want a starting gig and he's not going to be sticking around to be Darnold's backup) and McCown will likely be gone next year as well. Normally, you'd keep a third QB to be the developmental QB. I think one of Petty or Hack stick around (likely Hack because he's young) to be next year's backup, unless everyone in the front office has given up on them. I remember reading articles a few months ago that there were some people who thought Hack could still turn the corner and become a decent QB.

4. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

petty is about to be 27 and hasnt shown nearly enough improvement ... cut or trade him (for a conditional ball sack) expeditiously so that he can fulfill the prophesy of @Cman60

keep hack through camp as insurance. if you cut him now, another team will put him on their 90 man roster and you will lose the opportunity to put him on the practice squad

FJF likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Do you have a link to that article? I'd like to read it. That type of coaching is interesting....noticing something, then being able to come up with a fix for it. Sounds simple, but if it were, someone would've fixed it before now. Not saying that makes Palmer a guru, but he obviously knows something about QB'ing and mechanics.

Aside from that, in watching more of Darnold, I'm not sure his throwing motion will be a problem. He seems to be able to adjust and make very accurate passes with it, so I would be leery of tinkering too much. Some of the greatest athletes in sports have "hinky" mechanics, yet do what few others can do.

6. ColoradoContrails

Petty's been freed!

Cman68 likes this.
  7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...sam-darnold-nfl-preparation-article-1.3960895

Inside look at new Jets QB Sam Darnold's NFL preparation: 'Sam is going to be an absolute superstar'

By MANISH MEHTA
    | NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
    APR 28, 2018 | 5:12 PM

Sam Darnold has stood in front of a mirror with a football in his hand every day for the past 14 months to perfect his quirkiest trait.

Soon after his epic performance in the 2017 Rose Bowl, the kid asked friend, mentor and quarterback whisperer Jordan Palmer the most important question of his young life that led him on a path to the Jets Thursday night.

"This is really indicative of who Sam is," Palmer told the Daily News on Saturday. "He had just won the Rose Bowl. He was on top of the world. Everyone was telling him that he's going to be the top pick in 2018. The Suck for Sam thing started. And his first question to me was so cool: 'If I'm going to back all this up, what are the areas that I need to get way better at?'"

Darnold's elongated windup wasn't ideal, but Palmer didn't want to make radical changes at a time when the kid was enjoying so much early success on the field. So, the quarterback guru suggested a simple daily drill designed to shorten an exaggerated loop in the young signal caller's throwing motion.

Darnold slowly tracked both arms after his hands came apart during the throwing motion in front of a mirror. He's done it tens of thousands of times since Palmer's first suggestion less than a year and half ago.

"He developed muscle memory," Palmer said. "If you've ever golfed, it'd be like taking half of a swing. Just working on the angle that the club comes back. But not actually swinging... Tiger (Woods) changed his swing every year or two. It was never about if it was good enough. It was always about what was the best."

Palmer, a former eight-year NFL quarterback who specializes in pre-Combine training, has known Darnold since he was a high school freshman. The Southern California neighbors spent three intense months polishing everything from Darnold's throwing mechanics to ball security issues to even his posture to help him thrive at the next level.

"Sam is going to be an absolute superstar in this league," Palmer said. "I think he's going to be a huge reason why the Jets turn things around."

The devil is in the details. So, Palmer and Darnold took a deep dive into his throwing motion to uncover what, if anything, needed to be adjusted. The teacher and student dissected the funky windup with the help of a new video technology.

Palmer and Darnold studied the former USC star's elongated throwing motion with the help of Wilson Connected Football technology that compiled four data points on a variety of throws: 1) Spin (RPMs) 2) Spiral efficiency (how tight is the spiral?) 3) Velocity (MPH) and 4) Time of release from when his left hand came off the ball until the ball left his right fingertips.

The data revealed that Darnold dropped the ball lower for throws of 32 or more yards. In other words, Darnold psychologically dipped the ball when he felt like he needed to drive it more.

The spin, spiral efficiency and velocity remained constant regardless of the length of the throw. Dropping the ball lower for passes of at least 32 yards didn't change the end result, either. Translation: The need to drop the ball lower for longer throws was all in his head. Video from Darnold's freshman year to now reveal a less exaggerated loop. The Jets, frankly, don't believe the unusual motion will adversely affect him.

Palmer also worked on improving the 6-3 Darnold's posture, which might seem strange upon first glance. Closer inspection, however, reveals how critical Palmer and his strength coach's assistance on this matter will prove to be over time.

"He was pretty hunched over," Palmer said. "He plays low and compact, which is what you want. But when he was hunching his shoulders over, a lot of times what ended up happening is he didn't really use the front side of his body... his chest. You don't (engage) any of those chest muscles. So literally when you throw, it's all arm, shoulder and triceps."

"Now he probably throws a half inch to one inch taller," Palmer said. "Picture somebody hunched over versus somebody standing really erect. More importantly, it's more for preservation down the road. Now you (use) more muscles, so it's less triceps tendon and a less chance to develop elbow injuries. If you watch Sam walk around right now, without even thinking about it, his posture is so much better. That's also going to translate to how he throws the ball."

Although Darnold has praised Palmer's efforts to hammer home a two-hands-on-the-ball inside the pocket mindset in the past few months to curtail his litany of fumbles last season, the teacher is fully aware that he can't simulate tackles in his training. Palmer also wants to make sure that Darnold doesn't lose a valuable dimension that helps make him a dynamic player.

"Sack fumbles are bad plays," Palmer said. "But if you're critical of all the times that he was careless with the ball in the pocket, you also have to look at all the times that he took his left hand off the ball and scrambled around and made some amazing plays. So, there's a risk and a reward with that. What we don't want is for him to keep two hands on the ball to the point where he now he doesn't move around in the pocket and utilize that magic that he has."

Palmer, who has worked with everyone from Matthew Stafford to Deshaun Watson, sees a difference maker in Darnold.

"Sam is going to appear a lot to you like Eli Manning," Palmer said. "He's just 20 and cool. He doesn't actually surf. Sam is NOT L.A. You'll see him wear the same flannel for the next three years. He consistent. He's always the same. He's always respectful. He's always professional. Inevitably whenever adversity hits him and he's really struggling at some point, he's going to be the exact same way as if they're on top of the world. You're not going to be able to dig up really interesting crazy stories about Sam Darnold over the next 15 years. You can try. It's just not going to happen."

Although Darnold isn't likely to be shouting from the rooftops, Palmer cautioned not to be fooled. He'll be the best kind of leader for the Jets.

"Sam is a very mature 20-year-old," Palmer said. "He knows how he needs to get the most out of the guys around him. He also does a really good job of making sure that he's doing his job before he's talking to someone else about doing theirs…. Fast forward a year. These guys are going to totally love Sam."

stinkyB likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

THANKS!

I feel better and better about Darnold all the time, and will be very happy to admit that maybe he was the better choice over Rosen...hopefully this will be borne out on the field.

And I appreciate the subtle adjustments noticed by Palmer and his remedies for them. Even more, I appreciate Sam's willingness to re-do his ingrained habits - that shows his drive. All great signs!

CotcheryFan likes this.
  9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

:(

10. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

The WORST thing the two idiots could do is to Darnold start in back of this shit hole OL. Just like Kenny O was back in the 80's, Darnod will a sack machine.

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Hackenberg is revamping his throwing motion as well...He wont go down without a fight!

12. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

I wonder where passing on this kid for Baker gonna rank among the many failures of Cleveland sports

13. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

too much detail for a 20 year old......his head was and will be swimming. moving forward the jets QB coach should be the ONLY one in his ear and always carrying a basket of marino DVD's of every one of his throws.

14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

hate to say it but the jets are certainly dumb enough to do this. now the OL on papers appears a bit better than last year so we'll see but the jets must be the only team in the fucking league that drafts a stud QB with a high pick and then goes on to ignore the OL for the remainder of the SAME draft.

ugh!!

Cman68 likes this.
  15. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

This is so absurd how you sold out Jets fans are already calling the next Joe Montana. Talk about dumb? You should be SHOCKED with surprise if he actually is any better than Geno Smith.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Its how Macc rolls...

17. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I'll actually be FLABBERGASTED.

Not

FJF likes this.
  18. stinkyB

LAAAAADIES AND GENTLEMENNNN
    PLEASE FEEL FREE TO VISIT THE AWARD NOMINATION SECTION.....

hint: its down towards the bottom of the main forum page

FJF likes this.
  19. stinkyB

Interesting piece on CBS (don't worry it's not Pete Crisco)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...st-out-of-sam-darnold-and-his-natural-talent/

xxedge72x likes this.
  20. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I see a Texans type situation with the Jets this year. Darnold will play most of the preaseason. We'll be clamoring for him to start. McCown or Bridgewater will win the competition start 4 games and then Darnold will finish out the year. I'd prefer him to play in November and December but something tells me we'll see him in October. Unless an injury happens or he looks like the next coming of Brady, Peyto, Montana etc he won't see the field in September with 3 of the first 4 on the road.