Big Mac says QB position is an open competiton and darnold can win

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, May 2, 2018.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

IMO, they should keep darnold on the shelf until the last quarter of the season, i dont care if he looks like the second coming in preseason.......we have an average OL and need time to see if that unit can sustain blocking success. plus, the young man needs time to learn the terminology and some nuances of the system. hey even marino didnt start until week 6 or 7 i think.

of course the geniuses need to tell us its an open competition, but seriously?? the jets have a shiny new toy and they better not fuck it up.

stinkyB and Cman68 like this.
  2. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I love the idea that Sam gets to get coached from Jeremy Bates, witness Josh McCown play and sit next to Teddy on the sidelines. Going to be around solid professionals to learn how to put in work the right way

FJF and Noam like this.
  3. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Do you seriously want either Petty or Hack as a backup in a league where back ups DO play multiple games with few exceptions? I'd rather sign a slimmed down Jared Lorenzen than either of these two clowns. They could sign any back up off the scrap heap and they'll be better day one than Petty or Hack, heck Bridgewater on one leg is better than them.

4. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Darnold knows + played in a West Coast Offense so isn’t going to have much trouble adjusting to Bates Jets offense.

Of all the qbs in this draft, he’s the most ready to start for the Jets + probably why the Jets are saying it’s an open competition.

He probably wins the job to be honest.

Catfish Billy likes this.
  5. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

IF this is an "open" competition Teddy will 100% be our starter this season IF he is healthy. Book it.

I won't say I'm shocked but mildly surprised that it seems everyone has completely disregarded Teddy as an afterthought. This 25yo kid is a prolific passer who frankly had a better college career and looked more pro-ready than Darnold coming out of Louisville. Then couple tha the fact that we've already watched him have NFL success albeit at an Uncle Josh level who will be his "open competition" and I attribute his underwhelming success in Minnesota to Zimm's philosophic approach to the game when he had Teddy. I have supreme confidence and love the talent, I believe only his pending health can stand in his way.

I'm not so sure Jets management or fans honestly want Teddy to be healthy. Because if he is... there's going to be a lot of second guessing and perplexity.

Hypothetically speaking, what happens if Teddy starts the season as QB1 and takes the team to a 10 game playoff run, get bumped out in the 1st round, but he finishes the year with 4,000+ yards, 20+ TD's, 10 INT's, and a completion % just under 70.
    What happens then?

6. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I think its great that they give him a shot...that's a win win. Problem with just saying he will back up JM is that you then spend the entire season waiting to see JM fail..and if he has at least an average season, you wait for the Jets to be eliminated. Seen that pic with the Jets way too much. Its a real shit scenario of rooting for failure or waiting to fail. If he truly isn't ready...that's another story.

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It isn't about Bridgewater getting hurt, anyone can get hurt, it is the fact that the injury he is coming off of is severe. This is not a knock on him like you're implying. It simply is a condition that exists and needs monitoring. And if you're a team that has a space for him in your plans as the Jets do, then you also need to contingency plan. That's what Hackenberg and Petty are: contingencies. If he gets through the preseason looking totally ok, then the team moves on.

There is nothing gained letting those two walk today. On September 1, after Bridgewater has delivered approximately 6-7 solid quarters of preseason football and not showing adverse effects, cool, move on. The Jets gain nothing making that decision today. If they did, it would be done already.

legler82 likes this.
  8. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

He hits the open market and someone signs him for a lot money. Had the Jets signed him for a 2 year deal it would be a different story. Still the Jets future is not Teddy Bridgewater. Sam Darnold is our starter, just a question of when.

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I don't know how you managed it but you just made me realize we actually overrate Geno Smith's time here. Didn't think that was possible; bravo.

Big Cat likes this.
  10. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I also dont see where it is written that McCown is retiring after this season. He wouldnt come back as a backup/QB coach next year and collect a check while mentoring Darnold?

legler82 likes this.
  11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Great news hope McCown enjoys retirement. If Darnold can tie his shoes that should be enough to beat out McCown. Let's get the Darnold era started right away. The kid can handle it.

12. LF911SC

Im with you, I think Darnold can handle it.

I dont agree that McCown sucks so much that all he has to do is tie his shoes.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Ok poor choice of words on my part. Open competition in training camp. No more of this McCown plays one quarter of the first game and then sits till the opening game.

ColoradoContrails and LF911SC like this.
  14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

*Warning: Mehta article*

Cidusii, boozer32 and FJF like this.
  15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

In my opinion, taking a stance to either extreme that he must sit or must start is just insane right now. I think the regime is doing it the right way keeping it open to all possibilities. I mean he hasn’t even had rookie camp yet.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Liking this for the warning

Cidusii and Big Cat like this.
  18. LF911SC

I think that was the case when his only competition was Petty and Hack. They sucked so much that all he had to do was be able to tie his shoes and he was the starting QB

19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Would just post the article text but I’m on my phone and it always come out weird here

FJF likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Going worst case in terms of the backups not coming back. Hes the de facto QB coach, perhaps he comes off the roster salary and into the coaching salary next year. If he wants to continue to be a backup, he will could come back too, not sure of his full intentions.

LF911SC likes this.