Applaud our GM for an incredible base to build on!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Apr 29, 2018.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

were hopeful at qb, have no pass rusher and no big threat guy at rb or wr. not exactly great team building by the gm.

but there are folks who are applauding how great of a job our gm is doing. i dont get it. we have a team full of role players and decent players and thats great but at some point we need to get dominating players. I agree with you and cbg and the rest that i am not currently terribly impressed with what the gm has done with the roster

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Say what you want, but mac is killing it. We are a young team on the rise, with a great cap situation and tons of potential

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks! This clearly shows the pattern of bias Macc has for defense and how offense seems to be an afterthought. And no, I'm not saying defense doesn't count, but the two have to be more equal, or if anything in today's NFL, the offense needs to be favored. Yet, Macc continues to ignore the OL, or trying to get any gamebreakers (aside from Darnold finally) on the "O" side. I don't know if due to his own personal philosophy, or he's heavily influenced by Bowles, but it's a "Dark Ages" approach.

4. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I agree outside of the OL which could really hurt us this year and until we rectify

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

These are the projected OL guys we're going to war with in 2018:

http://beta.nydailynews.com/sports/...ng-jets-53-man-roster-draft-article-1.3963920

Taken from today's NYDN:

OFFENSIVE LINE (9): Kelvin Beachum, James Carpenter, Spencer Long, Brian Winters, Brandon Shell, Brent Qvale, Travis Swanson, Dakota Dozier, Ben Ijalana

Maccagnan did not add any offensive linemen in the draft. In fact, his only OL investments this offseason came at center, when he signed Spencer Long and Travis Swanson in free agency. That means the Jets will likely go with many of the same depth linemen they've used over the last three seasons, including Brent Qvale, Dakota Dozier and Ben Ijalana.

Well for better or worse, there they are...

#65 Cman68, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  6. GasedAndConfused

yeah but with all out picks next year (minus 1 2nd rounder) and 100+mil to spend again, he can address the o-line next year. outside of o-line and pass rushing OLB, what are we really lacking? He did also sign 2 lineman this off season as well and got rid of wesley johnson so that's a big improvement in my book

7. Cman68

and it really wouldn't hurt to finish in the top 5 again in draft position either. The FO/CS already have been extended into 2019 so no jobs are on the line. MAYBE Macc drafts OLB first and finishes the draft on the offense. If not, there's always 2020.

8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

nice post and speaks volumes. show me any other gm with that record and i would be surprised.

9. GasedAndConfused

in the long run it would be better, but for me, i'd actually like to enjoy watching the season and would be more then ok picking in the middle of the round

Cman68 likes this.
  10. Cman68

Yanno what? if that happens perhaps Macc would be more inclined to stay put..

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  11. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

So you're pessimistic because we couldn't get studs on the DL, LB, OL, WR, TE & RB with the last few late picks?

Rome wasn't built in a day. And there's more than just the draft to work with. There's still a bunch of cuts coming or trades to be had.

12. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I could see him trading down next year to get more picks to make up for losing three 2nd rounders. He obviously has to address OL and pass rusher next offseason.

ColoradoContrails, FJF and CBG like this.
  14. Cman68

All the more reason to finish fairly high in Draft Position. It wouldn't bother me if the Jets went 5-11 or 6-10 again. Seems to be the sweet spot for this team. :)

15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

LF9 Im pessimistic because I think Macs drafts besides the guys that fall to him early for the most part have been bad. Rome was not built in a day but teams have been rebuilt in other cases in shorter periods of time . I guess you can say Im pessimistic but I think Im realistic and I'm not on board with the 5 -6-7 or more year rebuild plan .

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Enuwa we said the same thing last year and the year before

17. GasedAndConfused

to be fair though, based on what? if you can land 2-3 starters a draft you are golden. anything after the 4th round is throwing shit at the wall hoping it sticks. 3rd rounders are typically role players at best. 1st and 2nd round is where you can find starters and even at that the bust rate is 50% easily in the 2nd round if not higher. People think a couple of whiffs means bad drafting it's not. compare mac to any other GMs drafts and you'll see how good he's done for the most part. not the best but easily in the top 10 over the past 4 years

Noam likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets got the QB, now they will build around him. The weapons on the outside are sufficient and the line has been upgraded. Still patchwork at the o-line, but its better then last year. As long as they dont go the Tanny / Rex route, it will work out in the end.

Its going to be a deep / talented EDGE class next year, so look for the Jets to address defense one more time in the first round. I see EDGE as the final piece to the defensive puzzle. From there, the Jets will add to the offense.

Jets having a great all around team, is more far important. Hard to field a good defense to compliment the offense. The Jets with Sanchez tried to build a good defense, and left Sanchez without any young talent. I almost see this as the opposite. The defense is just about built. Just in time to field the offense in the next 2 drafts.

#78 101GangGreen101, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    FJF likes this.
  19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

we can agree to disagree here-----I will say the later rounds are a crapshoot but I feel the first few rounds you need to find players and not reach for projects or busts . Top 10 ? I disagree and am happy to

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Mac controls the roster and Bowles decides who plays. Therefore in the draft the buck stops at Mac, not Bowles.