How would YOU handle the Jets Quarterback Situation in 2018?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 7, 2017.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

This is a tremendous exaggeration on your part.

Noam likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Bridgewwater's knee is proving to be far more important than at first glance. If its bad, Darnold becomes Qb2 by default and it keeps Hackenberg/Petty on the roster one more year. If it's so good that Bridgewater outplays McCown, McCown then slides into the QB2/coach position and starts to "mentor" Darnold on an accelerated timeline. This is good just in case Bridgewater's knee doesn't hold up. In that scenario, Darnold is again, the backup but Qb3 would be elevated from the PS which would probably be Hackenberg. If Bridgewater's knee holds up but he doesn't outplay McCown, the McCown remains Qb1, Bridgewater is Qb2 and Darnold is Qb3 and never sees the field in 2018. This also spells the end of the Hackenberg/Petty error as I doubt the Jets carry Qb4.

Funny how things turn out sometimes..

NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Darnold should also learn expeditiously if he sees live NFL action.

I feel like the Jets plan to compete this year, like we did last year, but start going for it in '19.

Cman68 likes this.
  4. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

Treat him the same way KC handled Patrick Mahomes. Maybe start him the last 2 games of the season.

NCJetsfan, Cman68 and CotcheryFan like this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

It's not that complicated....

Darnold was drafted for the longterm, not short term.

Have him as #3 or #2 on the depth chart (pending Teddy's knee / roster spot). Let the JETS play out most of the season. Obviously if theyre in post season contention (they wont be) he still rides the pine till next year... same goes if the O-line can't block their own shadow. Otherwise, you let him get some live fire action the last 4 games of the season.
    I'm expecting another year near the top of the draft.... hopefully trade down (prospects pending) and ideally focus on giving him a strong support cast (O-line, etc) then set the kid loose in 2019 then......

BAM!

SUPA - BOLE!
    ;)

6. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

We don't have a Alex Smith caliber type qb in front of our drafted qb. It's a strong possibility Darnold wins the job in camp, or early in the season. KC last season isn't comparable to the Jets situation. Apples and oranges imho.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Dumb down the playbook and get him ready to start the season day 1. Every time he turns the ball over give him a titty twister, nuggy and hit his knuckles with a deck of cards.

NY Jets68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

I think its more about rolling him out the pocket with this Oline then dumb down the playbook tbh

NCJetsfan and stinkyB like this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

ONLY if the OLine has proven competent in the new "Zone Blocking" scheme. Can't have guys confused on their blocking assignments and getting the kid smashed like what happened to Petty.

50ShadesOfGreen likes this.
  10. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't rush Darnold to play, but I also wouldn't have him red shirt the year either. The goal from the coaching staff should be to give Darnold as many reps as possible (McCown doesn't need too many, Petty/Hack/Teddy are at risk of not being on the team and I'd assume only 1 will remain). With that in mind, I give Darnold 75% of the reps, and focus on him heavily in preseason ball. If he shows enough and is confident in the playbook then go ahead and start him. You don't draft someone with the 3rd pick and have him sit on the bench in the modern NFL. I know teams try to, but it's not very common anymore. I'm confident that Darnold is better served playing than he is sitting.

See how much he grasps in between now and the 3rd preseason game, and if he's ready then he should start.

11. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

That's true, but I think McCown wouldn't be a bad person to observe from the bench. He just seems pretty young + only having 2 years of college football experience. But yeah, if he is ready and he beats out McCown, then why not.

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No, I agree the players will hear the noise, I just hope Sam can block it out like Eli does. I think he can.
    Yeah, I think the Jets should release Petty or Hackenberg as soon as this week. Hack, if he truly is hopeless, Petty if they think Hack still can develop into a solid back-up. Then you have 4 go into Camp, we will say Darnold, Bridgewater, McCown and Hackenberg. If Bridgewater looks good, release Hackenberg. If his knee doesn't hold up: release Teddy. Then go into the season with 1. McCown 2. Darnold 3. Hackenberg/Bridgewater.

NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think the jets are holding up for a few reasons

1) you can carry 90 players now anyway so not a big deal
    2) they want to see how tedy's knee holds up, if he still can't play or trust it, he will be gone
    3) if another teams QB gets injured in camp or pre-season, pettys value goes up

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I agree with that. I just think the point about giving Darnold reps is important too. Can't have 5 QB in Training Camp. On the other hand, why can't you have 4 though? Not like Sam will lose reps to them. Clearly he will be the highest priority for the Jets staff. Not old man McCown, or Petty/Hack or Bridgewater even. So it is possible the amount of QB's on the roster won't effect Darnold at all in Training Camp or Pre-season.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sad, but true. Without getting too metaphysical/psychological, we all create our own reality through the way we perceive life, circumstances, people, our desires, fears, etc.

16. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

You really think people would say the Darnold pick was bad if he won 6 superbowls? That's what the dude said.

17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I mean if you think about last year we had 3 QBs splitting reps. Mccown took about half, petty like 30% and hack 20%. Darnold doesn't need to be ready for this year however we should be developing him ASAP. Mccown doens't need a ton of reps. Teddy we just needt o see his knee hold up, if it does he stays, if not he's gone. So Mccown 50%, darnold 30%, Teddy 19%, hack and petty 1%

The Dark Knight likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

The issue isn't just "accuracy."

While all of what you say is true, there are always people that are the exception to the rule and not the rule, and Nadal is an exception to the rule. Look at Pat Mahomes. He throws at all kinds of crazy arm angles, and his feet can be all over the place, yet he is incredibly accurate, has great velocity when he wants it (he has a very strong arm), and had a ton of production in college. It remains to be seen whether he will in the NFL.

I could show you clips of numerous operatic singers who have flawed technique and still sing at a very high level with seemingly no ill effects, but I could show you a lot more who have flawed techniques and who run into vocal trouble or who don't sound very good or nearly as good as they could be.

Mechanics, fundamentals, technique, whatever one wants to call them are important. Some athletes can get by with flawed or even shoddy fundamentals and still perform at a very high level. Most, however, cannot. With a hitch in his throwing motion, a QB or pitcher in baseball can have not only his accuracy affected, but the velocity of his throws, and also his arm/shoulder health. Again, some people can use improper mechanics and suffer no injuries or problems. Others wind up with a sore shoulder, or needing Tommy John surgery, or tear their rotator cuff. In the case of tennis, players can have the accuracy or velocity of their serves and volleys affected, or wind up with "tennis elbow," or other ailments, n'est ce pas?

In Darnold's case, if he does indeed have a hitch, I don't think it has affected his accuracy, but I do think it probably has affected how quickly he can get the ball out and that can be critical. With that slowed down delivery (if it is indeed slowed) it will give NFL DBs a chance to see where the ball is going earlier and because coverages are generally tighter and DBs faster, it increases the odds that the pass will either be intercepted or incomplete because it will give them more time in which to react to the throw.

I hope that the scouts/experts who talked about this prior to the draft are wrong and it will wind up being a nonfactor as some of you think, or that it will be something that can be fixed/tweaked so as not to be a problem. I'm rooting like crazy for him. I want the Jets to have a "dynasty" like the Patriots have had. This is just something that concerned me prior to the draft, is a fairly big part of why I didn't want him on the Jets, and why I couldn't understand how he was viewed as such a safe pick with no flaws by some. Until I see for myself that it doesn't cause him any problems on the field, it will remain a concern for me. Believe me, I want it to be a non-issue. I'm not gonna sit around worrying about it, but it will remain "in the back of my mind" until proven otherwise.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I disagree. Darnold shouldn't be "allowed" to win the QB competition. Teddy or McCown should start the season regardless of how Darnold plays. The kid will barely be 21 and has only 2 years of starting experience in college and has only been playing QB for 4-6 years. There are zero reasons to rush him onto the field, and a plethora of reasons for him to sit for most of all this season.

20. NCJetsfan

Well, perhaps that part was hyperbole, but based on some of the comments, ideas, opinions I see expressed on this site and have seen on other Jets sites, it wouldn't surprise me. I could see some people saying, "Well, if we had Rosen or Mayfield" at QB, we'd have won 7 or 8 SBs.