How would YOU handle the Jets Quarterback Situation in 2018?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 7, 2017.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Maybe, but that was on a fast ball throw. Perhaps Carr’s harder throws create more of a wind up.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, Peyton's rookie season was awful, but it wasn't because Peyton had flawed fundamentals. What was the Colts' roster like Peyton's rookie season? Who were his coaches? Why did he struggle?

If a QB is struggling with the basic fundamentals of throwing the ball, he's gonna struggle, that's guaranteed. If you then add in all the other reasons why he could struggle (adjusting to the speed of the NFL, the more complex Ds he has to try to read, dealing with a subpar OL and a subpar HC and possibly subpar OC, learning the offense, learning the drops, building chemistry with his offensive teammates, etc.). You're making things more difficult than they need to be and making it harder for him to succeed.

If you think the media and fans don't affect the players, CSs, and owners you're naive about the Johnsons and human nature.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Hopefully, you're right. We'll see whether some outfit I've never heard of know more than professional scouts.

4. PennyandtheJets

Don’t get me wrong, with the naked eye, his throwing motion appears to be jacked up. At the same time, it also seems to be quick and he is able to deliver the ball whether he is in the pocket or out of it.

5. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

Just ignore this NC guy and his hyphe thinks he IS Peyton Manning
    Are you a professional scout

6. NCJetsfan

I'm not an expert on QB fundamentals. I'm just going by what I have read and by the results. He threw 13 interceptions this past season against weak PAC 12 defenses. What's he gonna do vs NFL Ds?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes 4 or 5 leeway or the last 4 or 5 games then put him in ...if the line can't hold up and he is getting beat up pull him But imo trial by fire is OK

8. PennyandtheJets

Meh...Matt Ryan threw 29 ints in his last two college seasons. I don’t think INTs are a good stat to signal great QB play in college. Darnold was competing to win games.

stinkyB and FJF like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Is that what you'll be happy with...Matt Ryan level play? It would be a big improvement, but for the 3rd pick in the draft and trading 3 seconds, I want a whole lot more than Matt Ryan.

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Thank God Darnold has Jordan Palmer and his own posse of Coaches

Kid strikes me as completely proactive to get better...whether he starts or not this 2018

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. PennyandtheJets

Ryan was picked that early. Of course we all want better than Matt Ryan, but that would be a pretty good starting point lol.

I’m with you though, I think the sky is the limit with Darnold.

HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

his release looks to be quicker then Jameis Winston coming out, Winston has a long windup as well.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  13. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

To be fair, Rosen threw 10 picks on fewer attempts and his mechanics are impeccable. By all accounts Darnold does get the ball to his target accurately and on time despite the wonky throwing motion. I think his at-times sloppy footwork will be a greater contributor to any turnover issues that may carry over to the pros.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. TrojanPride

TrojanPride Active Member

He is completely dedicated to improve as a QB, he wants to be elite. He ended a long time relationship to that end...no distractions.

15. NCJetsfan

I think with both Rosen and Darnold, decision making was part of the problem. I think the majority of the problem was that they were pressing, trying to make something happen because they knew that there was either little talent around them or that talent was woefully underperforming, so they were taking some chances that they normally perhaps wouldn't have. At least, that's my hope. I agree the footwork is part of the problem, and will definitely need to be fixed because so much of most WCOs are the exacting footwork on the drops that affects the timing of the routes. Bates' offense may be different from the norm, so that might be less of a factor.

16. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

He’s straight right ?

17. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

There's never been a player in the existence of the NFL that would meet the approval more than 40% of this fanbase. Hell, when asked if we would like certain Hall of Fame or future HOF players, almost all are dismissed as "overrated" "a product of their system" or "nothing without [player/coach]". I don't know why. I could suggest a starting line up of (all in their prime), Joe Montana at QB, Barry Sanders at RB, the Redskins Hogs-era O-line, Jerry Rice and Lynn Swann at WR, Tony Gonzalez at TE, the 85 Bears defense but with Lawrence Taylor as an edge rusher and Ronnie Lott as safety...and probably 60-70% of Jet fans would say not only "no", but "HELL FUCKING NO!!"

Even if this was the start of a new era, and the Jets took the place of the Patriots for the next 20 years and Darnold broke all of Brady, Manning, Marino, and Montana's records, in 2038, after our 6th Super Bowl win, most of the fan would STILL insist that picking Darnold was a bad move.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I've worked as a tennis teaching pro, and one of the things we stress is that mechanics are only as important as the results they get. By conventional standards, Rafa Nadal, the world #1 tennis player, has a messed up forehand. But it doesn't affect the quality of his shots, so his coaches left it alone.

[​IMG]

Darnold's motion doesn't seem to affect his accuracy (if it did I never would have wanted him), and IMO his interceptions are more a result of footwork and trying to do too much. I think he has a bad habit of letting the ball dangle down with one hand, which is why he fumbles, and that needs to be fixed. But I wouldn't tinker too much with his loop.

19. TrojanPride

TrojanPride Active Member

Ask your sister.

All Gas No Shake and stinkyB like this.
  20. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Even if Darnold sits the whole year and doesn't debut until week 1 of 2019, he will still be younger than Peyton Manning was as a rookie.