Applaud our GM for an incredible base to build on!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So, who would you drop in lieu of the coveted OL or edge rusher? Jamaal Adams? Marcus Maye? Leonard Williams?

Ok - I can give you Hack or Petty. If Macc drafted OL and edge rusher with these two picks, Jets would stand much better today. Except he may not even have survived the last two years. He had to do some of the window dressing - or at least pretending to look for a QB replacement.

Yes, I do have gripes on him by now, but I tend to think that his early drafts are pretty good despite not addressing OL and edge rusher prospect. It's not like he didn't try. [Well. Actually he didn't try when it comes to OL, but he did draft both Mauldin AND Jenkins on top of Lee. Jets LB corp are pretty young because Macc drafted them. And Mauldin/Jenkins are the OLBs. Maybe not the top blue-chip edge rushing presence, but that has more to do with Mauldin not growing into the role for whatever the reasons - i.e. freak injury, concussion, etc - than Macc not addressing it.]

#21 Zach, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Noam likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If I talked up the OP's list of players to fans of any other team I'd be laughed out of the room.

3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

No offense, but you will never be accused of being difficult to impress. last year's draft involved 4 DBs and 3 receivers, and zero OL. this years draft and trades involve 3 new DL but no OL. the jets had the league's 30th OL LAST YEAR but we are supposed to be better with a few scrub free agents. EDGE RUSHER? Bowles and MM are unfamiliar with that word. the jets will be 5-11 again with mccown starting every game until injury or playoff elimination. next yer's draft MM and bowles will load up on inside linebackers, more DBs, and another RB and TE.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You’d be in a room full of people who don’t know much about football.

5. HomeoftheJets

PFF grades:

-Jamal Adams: Above Average
    -Marcus Maye: Poor
    -Leonard Williams: Above Average
    -Quincy Enunwa: DNP
    -Brandon Shell: Below Average
    -Brian Winters: Poor
    -Sam Darnold (might take a year but he will turn out to be great): Rookie
    -Trumaine Johnson: Average
    -Robby Anderson (if he can clean up off field): Average
    -Darron Lee (has improved every year): Poor
    -Jordan Jenkins: Average
    -Avery Williamson: High Quality

So we have 0 Elite, 1 High Quality, 2 Above Average, 3 Average, 1 Below Average, 3 Poor, 1 Rookie, and 1 DNP. And these are supposed to be our best players. So I think it's less that they don't know football and more that they aren't homers.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If you are going to play the PFF game then you should post the draft grades where they called our draft class elite.

Also calling Maye and Winters poor is foolish which is why relying on PFF is rarely a good idea.

7. HomeoftheJets

I like our draft class too, and I love Darnold. But except for Darnold the OP isn't talking about them, he's listing an unimpressive bunch of players and calling them impressive. And while PFF isn't perfect, I don't think it's a coincidence that every criticism I've seen of them here says they underrate Jets players. Never that they overrate Jets players, when logically you'd expect them to do that just as often. Which is why on the whole, I trust them more than this forum.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He seems like a guy that needs great players around him to make him look ok. The only time he looked like he had promise was when snacks Sheldon Williams and mo were all here . Not sure there is enough talent around him now to help him be productive

9. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

I'm good with Macc. The roster is markedly improved from last year. With next years' free agency money being big also, I see greener pastures.
    Here's to hoping new OC- Bates can get the job done. I have no idea how that will go.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Regarding the thread title, applaud him for taking 4 years to lay a foundation?

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes, someone needs to take the Rose Colored glasses off...

IMO Mac flashes between a few brilliant moves e.g. Picking up Kearse for Sheldon and recently moving up to 3 with some absolute conundrums ..overpaying Fitz, overpaying to keep lazy Mo , drafting Defense year after year like that's how points are produced to win ..move down and then down some more in THIS draft (confusing) ...he is a Bminus GM in my book

Look deeper at who's in Macs ear Draft after Draft: 1980 s man Toilet Bowles and Kacys Sunshine Band!!! These guys HAVE TO GO..1 Million internet dollars says if an Offensive coach was running things we would be world beaters. To be fair we have some pretty talented receivers and Billal Powell with the additions at FA...but can they be COACHED TO WIN?

Look no further to Bowles why this roster has been WORSE since Mac arrived ...now with A potential FQB we may have a chance because Sam will let his mentor Jordan Palmer continue to help him..I seriously DOUBT this CS is fully prepared but I am willing to give Bates a chance to change things..if he does Woody should make HIM coach

ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  12. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

So so sad. Teams going down the fucking Toilet

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The Defensive line was better 3 years a go because of Snack. A freaking UFA. We should have kept him and jettison Mo, instead of renegotiating his fat ass contract. The ownership didn't help with him and Revis. Should have allowed Mac to rebuild on year one. I think Mac is better than any of our prior GMs.

#33 LAJet, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  14. HomeoftheJets

It isn't fair to criticize Bowles for the roster. Mac has the final say on it, if Bowles is responsible for all the picks on defense then Mac needs to grow some balls and tell Bowles to stay out of the draft. IMO criticizing Bowles for the roster is like criticizing Mac for Bowles's conservative play calls by the logic that Bowles has to be conservative because the roster is bad. To be clear, I don't think that's a fair criticism either.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't include Shell, Winters, Lee or Anderson in that group. Shell isn't all that. Neither is Winters, and with what he's being paid if his level of play doesn't improve this season, then he may not be with us next season. Lee has shown improvement, but still has a ways to go, and he needs to be used differently or in a 4-3 alignment. Anderson's gonna wind up in jail or dead or with another team if he doesn't clean his act up.

Mac has added some good talent, there's no doubt about that, but he has failed to seriously upgrade the OL or add a quality edge rusher. Things are definitely looking better than in a long time, but they still could be a lot better than they are.

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

Bowles is a terrible coach he does just about everything wrong

17. NCJetsfan

No he wouldn't.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Lorenzo Mauldin? You have to be joking. What's he done? He doesn't have the speed, power or talent to become a topnotch pass rusher.

19. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

You forgot about Nick Mangold. He sure wasn't chopped liver.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

20. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I have a REALLY hard time including those first two years and here's why: we all know Woody pushed for the Bevis move and he wanted us to be in win now mode. The first year splurge crippled us in the second year because of lack of cap space. Let the doubters give the poor man one more year and see how the young guys develop. I personally think we are in a better place by finally embracing the build slow and smart movement. I also think the organization hasn't been a magnet for drama as it was in the past, the leadership is stable and has had a steady hand in bringing in good people. I don't see why some are so disappointed though, we have flaws but I don't think they are horrible ones. Yes we need to address Oline ASAP and also continue seeking out weapons to put around our new franchise QB.