So, how would you grade Jets draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 28, 2018.

?

How would you grade the draft?

1. A

2. B

3. C

4. D

5. F

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

TBF to them if somebody taught Josh McCown to throw the fucking ball away the sack total would have been a lot less :)

2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Can’t say yet. A little bummed we didn’t address o line but the players we picked after darnold seem like they have a real shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

An offense minded coach, great offensive coordinator, great QB coach, great defensive coordinator, great assistant defensive coach positions, sounds like a plan. In a perfect world, in a perfect world. :/ Talent is tantamount, of course, but how many bright grade school kids fall through the cracks because they have crap teachers? A lot.

The thing that always killed me about the Jets is that whenever they seemed to find something that was clicking, i.e. the running game, they'd go away from it. Who does that. The Jets. I don't mind dinking and dunking, I like a good running game, but I have to admit, the potential of seeing Darnold throw rockets some time in the near distant future, I'm very excited about it. I haven't seen that since, er, since, er . . . I can't remember. Gonna be damn fun to watch if the chips fall right with the OL (eventually).

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Haha, Cman. Spoken like a true lifer.

Cman68 likes this.
  5. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

This draft and the grades we ultimately assign to it will not matter if Darnold becomes a FQB. It will be an A+.

However, what I see right now is about a D? ALL of these players are not going to contribute to winning in 2018. This is like another 2016 draft in that way. Meanwhile, in 2018 they do not have a talent infusion to help any of the veterans. It's so obvious to me that Mac has no timeline. He doesn't care about winning with rookies. Ultimately, this team still sucks on both lines. The defense will bleed yards on the ground. The OL is going to get any QB killed.

To better illustrate what I'm saying, look at last year's draft? Jamal Adams and Maye played immediately and helped the team win immediately. So how many players do you think will immediately step on the field out of this draft? This draft sucks and so do the Jets in 2018. Get ready for 5-11,maybe 4-12 this year. That record will directly reflect Mac's unwillingness/stupidity to draft players that can contribute as rookies. Darnold, Herndon, Fort Hayes?? They're all long term projects.

NYJetsO12 and Red Menace like this.
  6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I agree. I gave it a C. We didn’t draft anyone that seems likely to be an immediate impact player. The best player we got isn’t seeing the field for half the season, and if our O Line looks terrible I wouldn’t play him at all. Based on how these players may improve the team next year this draft is a C at best.

NYJetsO12 and Red Menace like this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

https://www.ganggreennation.com/201...where-the-new-york-jets-ranked-lowest-in-2017

TBH, our OLine needs an upgrade with day 1 or day 2 talent. Going with FA's and other team's discards just isn't sustainable. Kinda like buying a Lexus 500 and putting retread tires on it and cheap brakes. They made the investment in Darnold, but somehow deluded themselves into thinking the Oline is ok as is. I was really hoping Macc finally understood the importance of a tier one Oline.. Guess I was wrong..

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Judging by how the best/better OL flew off the board early, it's clear the rest of the NFL is trying to copy the Eagles approach. WHat is Macc's approach?

9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I gave it a C. I like Darnold but he wasn't the one I wanted. I like the TE the Jets took could be Dustin Keller type. The rest of the draft was camp fodder/practice squad.

10. Cman68

That's an easy one... BPA-D...

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. boozer32

He'll catch up 2 years from now. He kinda slow like that.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. boozer32

I like Darnold a lot. Watched many of his games. His Rose Bowl performance in 2016 was great (Barkley was a stud in that game too). Hopefully, we get 2016 Darnold, not the 2017 version. So I will follow all the QB in this draft to see how their career turns out. I wished for Rosen but Darnold is the guy now so let's roll with him.

Noam likes this.
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

My exact sentiments, I’m so frustrated with this FO and their philosophy, I’m trying to see the positive side and not react emotionally.

I do like the Darnold selection but if Mac doesn’t draft some legitimate skilled offensive players to help him, he’s not going to develope into the FQB we need.

14. Cman68

VinnyT ?

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If Darnold works out the rest of this draft doesn't really matter. QBF is all that matters. The problem for the Jets going forward is the Giants GM put on a clinic on how a professional GM's runs a draft.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  16. K'OB

1st QB = Offence
    2nd DE = Defence
    3rd TE = Offence

:rolleyes:

17. Cman68

Could it be this year was the outlier? Macc boxed himself in with the trade up so you can't really treat this year's draft as typical. Even with that said, Macc still managed to ignore the Oline but he did find several future all pro defensive players.. Perhaps he would have used one of our 2nd rd. picks on the Oline but... we'll never know.. That won't be an issue in 2019... hopefully.

18. K'OB

He's only had 3 drafts far to early to talk of outliers lol and let's be honest here, the team was a mess from top to bottom, it is normal to look at defence first, also having supposed studs drop to you at 6 is hard not to take them, maybe that would be the outlier scenario :)

19. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

For me, if we could have swapped our project 3rd+5th rd picks for these guys, who both produced at big time programs, the draft would have looked a lot better.

Harrison Phillips in the third. Some saw him as a 1st round talent:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...outing-report-for-buffalo-bills-pick.amp.html

Okoronkwo in rd. 5:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/theram...rams-ogbonnia-okoronkwo-round-5-analysis/amp/

I haven’t been impressed overall with Mac’s scouting ability.

Never mind the last few years where he has missed more (most) than nailed picks.

This year we got a dt who is raw+old, another project dt, a rb who is 185 lbs, an injured te (every year he drafts guys with injury concerns - have not seen any work out yet). The cb seems like a good value pick I will say + like the 7th rd trade.

All in all, Darnold better be a stud.

20. Cman68

That's the issue here.. He's always looking defense first. He's a BPA guy that had to draft a QB this time because of the trade up (not to mention his Qb blindness over the last several years). More often than not, that BPA guy is a defensive player. Sad thing is, we still don't have an elite defense.