So, how would you grade Jets draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 28, 2018.

?

How would you grade the draft?

1. A

2. B

3. C

4. D

5. F

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Considering we got the QB I’ve wanted for a year and a half, by far the best QB in this draft and likely the last 3, I’m giving it a solid A.

Everyone else was just gravy.

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

It will be impossible for the media to eviscerate Vanilla Sam for off the field stuff and I’m sure he’ll be harder on himself for bad play than they will be.

This will lead to the A++++

NYJetsO12, FJF and HomeoftheJets like this.
  3. SecretConnection

SecretConnection Active Member

We seemed to target class act model citizens in this draft which I don’t mind at all. They also look like great football players. Our locker room and team chemistry will be very strong.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

wanna bet?

5. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

Trust me I’d love to be bad enough to fire Bowles he’s the worst coach we’ve had since Al Groh he makes herm look like fuckin Lombardi

6. Cman68

I just wonder where this team would be with an offensive minded HC and a competent GM. You have to figure our drafts wouldn't have been defense centric for 10 years. The only reason why Macc drafted a QB was that he knew he'd be keel hauled from one end of Long Island to the other if he didn't get a Qb. The gun was pointed directly at his temple. Take that away and I have to figure Macc drafts BPA-D again.. There does seem to be a trend though. After the 1st rd, Macc should just go get some takeout Chinese and let Bates restock the offense.

NYJetsO12, CBG, JetsNation06 and 3 others like this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Groh wasn't a bad coach.

He has one of the highest winning percentages in Jet coaching history, presided over one of our greatest drafts, and had us within inches of a playoff berth.

8. James Hasty

While the lack of balance is a slight problem the bigger issue is that we are taking shitty players.

An offensive minded coach would be a breath of fresh air though.

NYJetsO12, CBG, JetsNation06 and 2 others like this.
  9. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Thumbs up on the Darnold pick.

The rest are dark horse/project/injured/small school long shots...

So who knows.

ColoradoContrails and FlaJet like this.
  10. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Why can’t our gm make a normal pick. Always a back story or injury to every pick. Never a steak. B.

11. Cman68

You'd think with a GM that used to be a former scout, this shouldn't be an issue but evidently that's not the case. A question might be, just how good a scout Macc was before his promotion. If he was mediocre, that certainly explains his record so far as a GM.

12. Cman68

Smartest guy in the room syndrome..

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While it's way too early to give any kind of grade as they haven't even taken the field yet, I'll play along. I would give it a C, but because we got our potential FQB, I'll give it a B overall. If Darnold develops and becomes our FQB then it will escalate to a B+ and if any other picks pan out, it could wind up an A+.

Rd 1 - Sam Darnold - Young, very talented, and potential star FQB, but also has some serious flaws to deal with. Grade: A- but could wind up anywhere from an F to an A+

Rd 3 - Nathan Shephard - Great story, looks like a potential starter and disruptive force on the DL. DE was a definite need, but so was edge rusher and OL. Is 25 years old. Could wind up being a great pick, but at this point looks questionable when good prospects at definite positions of need (OLB - 2) or in need of upgrading (OT - 5-6; C 1-2; G - 1, TE - 1) went after this pick: Malik Jefferson, OLB; Geron Christian, OT; Martinas Rankin, C, possible OT; Orlando Brown, RT; Arden Key, OLB; Joseph Noteboom, OT; Chuks Okorafor, OT; Alex Cappa, G/T; Mark Andrews, TE: and Mason Cole, C. Granted, some may not have been good scheme fits, some may have had character issues, and some probably weren't that highly rated by the Jets, but still, Shephard had better pan out. Grade: C- that could escalate as high as an A

Rd 4 - Chris Herndon, TE - I know nothing about this kid, but at least he could upgrade the talent at a position of need or that had questions, especially if Bates wants to run a 2 TE offense much of the time. Other possibilities at this pick: Da'Shawn Hand, DE; Dorance Armstrong, OLB; Anthony Averett, CB; Avonte Maddox, CB; Rick Leonard, OT; Will Richardson, OT; Josh Sweat, OLB; Marquis Haynes, OLB; and Dalton Schultz, TE. Again, several OLB prospects (3), 2 OTs, 2 CBs, a DE that was higher rated than Shephard, and a TE that might be better than Herndon. Grade: C that could go down or up

Rd 5 - Traded completely out of the round passing up the opportunity to take one of these players: Tyler Conklin, TE; Ogbo Okoronkwo, OLB; Jaylen Samuels, FB; Wyatt Teller, OG; and Jamarco Jones, OT. If they hadn't trade with SF to get Rashard Robinson, they could have taken Micah Kiser, ILB; Tyrell Crosby, OT; Scott Quessenberry, C; or Troy Fumagalli, TE. This seems like a royal screw up. Grade: F pending explanation.

Rd 6 - Parry Nickerson, CB - One of the fastest players in the draft, also quick, excellent in coverage, only gave up 2 TDs over the last 2 seasons, can play inside or outside, either the future slot/nickel CB or #2 CB Grade: A+

Rd 6 - Folorunso Fatukasi, DT - Raw, but excellent prospect for the 6th round could develop into a starter, but more likely a depth/rotation type player.Other possibilities: Kylie Fitts, OLB; Chris Campbell, CB; Deon Cain, WR; Jack Cichy, ILB/STs; Equanimeous St. Brown, WR; Bo Scarbrough, RB; Greg Stroman, CB; Grade: B

Rd 6 - Trenton Cannon, RB ??? Grade: Incomplete

Overall Grade: B

#33 NCJetsfan, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  14. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

The trade up was probably a bad move considering they could of sat at #6 and simply drafted Rosen.

Hindsight is 20/20 though. I’m sure the Jets thought QBs were going 1 and 2 when they made that trade so I can’t fault them too much.

At the end of the day if you told me the Jets would wind up with Sam Darnold 5 weeks ago after making that trade, I would have been OK with it.

15. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Yes, it will be a top ten pick. Those claiming our O-line is "average" are kidding themselves. There is no way Darnold should play this year, and therefore no realistic way to win more than 6 games with our schedule.

Take that top ten pick and trade down for O-line ALL DAY. #2019

16. NCJetsfan

We'll probably need to use that top 10 pick to get our new LT or more likely finally get an edge rusher. Mac will look to find our new LT in the 6th round.

NYJetsO12 and CotcheryFan like this.
  17. Cman68

I see the same pressure on Macc in 2019 to draft OLine. There is no way in hell they can sell drafting BPA-D to the fan base after drafting Darnold. Because of Macc's negligence, Darnold should not see the field this year barring catastrophic injury to McCown/Bridgewater. If Macc insists on addressing the OLine with mediocre FA's, he'd be doing Darnold a favor by NOT playing him. In essence, giving Darnold the Hackenberg treatment.

twown likes this.
  18. James Hasty

Who are you kidding?

We will obviously use our top pick to shore up the defensive line.

Cman68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Well, Mac did say a month or so ago that the plan was to not start or play the rookie QB this season. That seems to be a philosophy with him rather than just a product of Petty and Hack not being good enough. Perhaps that's why he felt no pressure to address the OL in the draft this year.

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Why does the Jets FO always feel the need to get cute and draft some unknowns from a Ft Hays St or a D2 school? Not saying these guys don't have a shot but there are a lot of good college players at big-time schools out there they constantly pass on for these longer shots from small schools. There were several good pass rushers left in the 4th and 5th rd that they overlooked. They do this same stupid sh*t every draft. Sure Darnold makes or breaks this draft but blowing the other picks is just wasting valuable chances to build your roster.

I give their draft a B- but if Darnold lives up to the hype than it becomes an A.