Mark Sanchez to Sam Darnold: How to avoid my Jets fate

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by legler82, Apr 27, 2018.

1. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Yep, Sanchez was probably overrated to start with, but playing under a coach who could care less about offense didn't help his cause. Guy was doomed to failure from the start. One wonders if with the team that Mangini left Rex if the Jets could have won the SB with a coach who actually knew how to develop a QB.

2. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

sigh, Sanchez....Sanchez just never developed. He remained a bad decision turnover prone QB and just never adjusted off of that. Even on high powered Eagles that was passer friendly he was a turnover machine. He had talent, the game just never 'slowed' down for him. Blame Ryan and company all you want, they didn't do him any favors in his 3rd year and beyond, but at the end of the day if you're making bad decisions it's on you.

That said, here's hoping USC finally turns out a good QB other than Palmer, not exactly a high bar.

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I would do the opposite of whatever Sanchez says

4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I mean really who cares what Sanchez thinks...he is trying to stay relevant in a world that has forgotten he exists

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I feel like Sanchez is a cautionary tale that the current Jets regime is not heeding. After making a GREAT trade to get up and take him (we gave up peanuts in that deal), they then went on to make a minimal investment in surrounding him with talent. He started with some good talent, so there may have been a false sense of security, but within a few seasons the talent seriously dropped off. Once Braylon Edwards left (and the o-line downgraded a bit as well), Sanchez fell off a cliff.

I think this regime is more professional than that one, but they really need to protect Darnold with some improved offensive linemen, and continue to give him weapons so he's not having to play hero ball. We've seen that at USC, Darnold playing hero ball = turnovers.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

With Sanchez though, he had to do as little as possible to avoid killing the Jets. Can't have that from Darnold. He needs to be able to carry the team once in a while.

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

That was potentially of Sanchez's very limited playing experience. Darnold has this issue too, but not as bad as Sanchez did.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Which is why I'm ok with Sam sitting for at least half a season, maybe the whole season. He needs to be ready to start in 2019 behind a (hopefully) upgraded OL.

9. SecretConnection

SecretConnection Active Member

Sanchez to replace Petty as number 3 QB?

10. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

If that's the case then he and Hack will be clipboard kings by the end of their careers lol.

11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Exactly. The people complaining that he was picked at 3 and should therefore be starting immediately are underestimating the potential psychological effects of being continually swarmed and punished by NFL-caliber defenses.

Expecting a (very young) rookie to just take these lumps behind a shit line and meanwhile continue to smile and steadily adjust to the system and speed of the game is not just unreasonable. It's idiotic.

12. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

I like Sanchez. I wish he could have become the right QB. He is a very likeable guy, talented too and pretty durable aside from the random shoulder injury. It just never came together for him.
    I loved him eating a hot dog during the game. That was funny. People made wayyyyy too much out of it. He had some cool. He embraced NY.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

"And if you see Brian Schottenheimer, shoot him in the head."

#33 Zach, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

David Carr behind half-serviceable OL would have posted at least above average performance, if not better.

Only Texans OL allowed the most sacks in the league - by a wide margin - in his first two years. David never blossomed to be the QB he was destined to be.

George Santayana had this to share:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

twown likes this.
  15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I like what Jackson said when asked yesterday, "no way Mayfield starts, he is number 3 on our depth chart and will have to earn a bump up. Taylor is our starter and that will not change."

And he was the #1 pick.

Maybe we can learn something from that even if it is Cleveland.

16. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Sanchez didn’t say this, but I will: Hopefully, the Mike Maccagnan-Todd Bowles regime will build a strong foundation around their talented USC quarterback instead of neglecting one side of the ball the way the defense-obsessed Ryan did, leaving Sanchez exposed and broken and gone from New York too soon.

Mac already IS neglecting other areas that directly impact how Darnold is going to succeed? If Darnold gets the shit knocked out of him on every play he'll never great play. That's called common sense. Mac does NOT have any.

17. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

That's a little harsh. Kick him square in the nuts? Hell yeah.

18. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Macc has said repeatedly that he addresses needs with pro free agency. Hopefully he will address the O-line in FA next year with all that cash on hand.

Also, our line will hopefully be much improved this year with a NFL caliber C (Long/Swanson), a healthy RG (Winters) and another year of growth for RT (Shell).

19. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

PS dodge the ass of your offensive line and you will never be mocked like me

20. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold taking advice from Mark Sanchez is like Peyton Manning taking advice from Brock Osweiler. All Darnold has to do is be himself and ignore retarded articles like this.