Welcome to the Jets Nathan Shepherd (3rd Rd Pick)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 27, 2018.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

So as you say we need a starter at end but we took a DT. Real sound logic there. Listen if you need an end draft one or sign one, don't try and convert them because that hardly works for the Jets. This guy needs tons of work and you think he's starting for the Jets this year? If he is then the season is already over. Arden Key was available and so was the tackle Orlando Brown, who went to the Ravens. I would think Ozzie Newsome knows talent better than Maccagnan.

2. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

?? My "late Bloomer" comment solely refers to Staubach.. I said itsn't like he was a late bloomer, he had to serve in the Navy. Nowhere did I mention late bloomer with Sheperd. People need to take a reading comprehension class.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not against this pick (Shepherd), per se, and am even willing to give Macc some latitude since he seems like he could be a real force if he pans out. But the Jets need a STUD pass rusher and OL. These have been needs for years now. What is Macc's problem? Sure, he can find OLBs and OL in the remaining rounds, but the odds of them being anything beyond depth fillers is low. For all the DL picks he's made, why don't the Jets have the Monsters of the Midway? Aside from the "no brainer" picks of Williams, Adams, and Darnold, and the lone exception of Maye, what has Macc actually produced in the way of true quality with the rest of his draft picks? At the rate he's going it will take 10 years to assemble a SB roster.

boozer32 likes this.
  4. boozer32

Exactly. Well said Vilma. People have selective amnesia." The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”.

5. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Some advanced analytics that applies to Shepherd (saw this on Gang Green Nation)

[​IMG]

6. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

He’s an end in our 3-4 u kno like how Leonard Williams is an end in our 3-4 at 6’4 305. Nathan is 6’4 315 he’s an end or 5 technique. U keep saying he needs tons of work but you’ve never seen him. Sound logic? And Arden Key is a guy who consistently underachieved at LSU. And u want to bring that behavior in here again for what. He didn’t even play that well the past couple of seasons and has lived off his freshmen hype. And Orlando tested so poorly at the combine he went from a 1st to a 3rd. He can’t play guard or LT and we already have Brandon Shell here. Day 1 and 2 or not the days u take low character guys in my opinion. Do all of that on Day 3 where the talent starts to seperate and decline. But not on day 1 or 2 because those picks HAVE to pan out. Arden Key is a lesser talented Randy Gregory ask the Cowboys if they’d like to have that one back.

BomberJet, stinkyB and FJF like this.
  7. boozer32

This is the last year of Kearse contract... I like Kearse but don't see them signing him long term or even beyond this year.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t think people understand how hard 2-gapping really is. You don’t want to move more than a couple yards up field while getting your hands on TWO different offensive lineman and making sure they don’t turn you.

It has to be even harder to do when you’ve never done it and you’ve been taught to shoot the gap your whole college career.

This has nothing to do with Shepherd but therein lies the difficult of building a good 3-4 scheme. Not to mention praying you can manufacture some sort of pass rush with a stand up end who also has likely never done that before.

9. Nesquik

NFL Draft 2018: Scouting reports on Jets DE Nathan Shepherd | Too old? Too much of a project?
    Posted April 28, 2018 at 05:00 AM | Updated April 28, 2018 at 05:01 AM

1 Comment

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    The Jets on Friday used their second pick in the 2018 NFL Draft — 72nd overall, in the third round — to select Fort Hays State defensive end Nathan Shepherd, a Division II player who grew up in Canada. Let's take a look at some scouting reports for Shepherd.

[​IMG]
    AP Photo

Shepherd, who turns 25 in October, has a remarkable story. Click here to read it. Shepherd is 6-foot-4 and 315 pounds — plenty big enough to be a 3-4 defensive end for the Jets.

MATT MILLER, BLEACHER REPORT
    With raw potential coming out of the MIAA ranks, Nathan Shepherd has the size and speed to make him an every-down player. His first-step quickness and lateral movement make him just as big of a threat on the backside as the playside. He needs to work on staying low and not letting blockers stay on him, and he'll have to prove he can compete in the NFL after years of dominating the small schools.

LANCE ZIERLEIN, NFL.COM
    Shepherd is raw, but he could be well worth a team's time as a day two selection thanks to his NFL-caliber traits and his flashes as a pass rusher. Shepherd lined up inside in college, but may be better suited as a 4i or five-technique in a 3-4 front. While he won't be ready early on, he has the ability to become a productive NFL starter and his practices at the Senior Bowl showed that he could handle the step up in competition.

OURLADS SCOUTING SERVICES
    Very good height, outstanding bulk, with decent arm length. Has good athletic ability with good speed, change of direction, explosiveness, and balance. Solid run defender. He has very good play strength to reset the line of scrimmage and plays with inside hands. Quick to shed blockers. Can bend, but comes out of his hips too early, which causes him to play high.

SB NATION
    Shepherd has the ideal size that teams are looking for in the middle of the defensive line. He has a quick first step and holds the line well. He does not get caught off-balance and stood out in Senior Bowl practices, earning some positive reviews from the NFL scouts and draft analysts there. Unfortunately Shepherd was unable to participate in the last couple practices of the Senior Bowl, and the game itself, after he suffered a broken bone in his hand. He was able to participate in all of the events at the NFL Draft Combine, but he missed out on some valuable repetitions.

JON DOVE, FAN SIDED
    The biggest concern with Shepherd is that he is extremely raw. He rarely uses his hands which makes it difficult for him to get off blocks. It also results in him getting pushed off the line of scrimmage from time to time. He needs to improve his pad level as he tends to get upright as the play develops. Shepherd would be much more effective if he consistently gained inside hands and maintained leverage. His feel for the game and ability to locate the football are also areas that need work. This is why it’s important for Shepherd to land with a team willing to be patient. With the right coaching, Shepherd could by big dividends.

247 SPORTS
    In a league and draft that loves to discuss potential that oozes while taking fliers on players with question marks, Shepherd is easily in the mix on the back end of day two as someone to keep an eye on. Often times prospects have a ton of red flags due to character concerns, but his is among the highest in the draft and by all accounts one of the classes' most coachable players.

DRAFT BLASTER
    A raw prospect that grew into his body later than most, and still has room to add quality weight. Shepherd is a project, but his physical gifts will force a team to take a chance on him and develop him because of his very high ceiling. Powerful, and has the height, length, and frame to be an ideal 3-4 defensive lineman, able to anchor and maintain the gaps around him, while still seeing into the backfield. Also showed excellent ability to toss aside blockers during the Senior Bowl practices until being injured. Could take several years to reach his potential, but worth the risk.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Key didn’t consistently underachieve. He was undersized when he racked up all those sacks his first two years and had some emotional problems. He then tried to add weight and lost speed before coming to the NFL. I wanted nothing to do with Key.

The issue in Shepherd lies in the fact that we’re completely converting him to be a 3-4 end and remembers he’s going to be in a completely foreign scheme jumping up two ranks of talent coming from a D2 school.

I hope he’s a beast. He might be. But I see it as a shitty risk because you’re hoping that he becomes Calais Campbell when he might struggle to even see the field against NFL guards and tackles that are all 320 pounds vs. the likely 270-290’s he was facing in the FCS.

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  11. boozer32

An end in 3-4 like Coples was an end in the Jets same type of 3-4. That didn't work out so well. They took Richardson and tried to make him a linebacker. Not a good track record with Bowles and company. If you truly had a creative and innovative coach I would be more than thrilled to see this type of stuff. But we don't and people keep dreaming that this stuff is gonna work and the cycle keeps repeating itself. The Jets keep wasting time and effort. Every player that test poorly at the combine is not a failure. Just like every combine workout warrior is not a stud. Mike Mamula and Vernon Gholston say hello.

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The problem with your Ozzie Newsome argument is that you don’t know if he would have chosen Brown over Shepherd if Shepherd was already gone. A player taken afterwards doesn’t reflect preference over the player already gone.

Mr mittens and FJF like this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Coples is a bad comparison. He was taller but lighter. Shepherd is built way tougher than Coples was at any point in his career. Coples biggest criticism was his motor. It was nonexistent. You don’t even see that mentioned in a scouting report of Shepherd. To me, they are completely different people that shouldn’t even be put in the same sentence unless you’re talking about how not-alike they are.

14. boozer32

We'll never know. Teams never reveal their draft grades and boards. I'm going off overall talent evaluation where Newsome is one of the best in the business and Maccagnan doesn't even register.

15. boozer32

So what do you call a high motor with less talent?

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I call him a third round pick that’s built better to be a 3-4 DE than a guy we took years ago in the top 10. His ceiling is way way way higher than what Coples ended up being.

FJF likes this.
  17. Nesquik

I’m not saying he’s a sure fire player and I he will be hall of famer one day. Its just to me he looked like a 2nd round prospect who has what 2 not even red flags but I guess u can say cases against him. One being fair that he played against lower competition but what are we like in 2018 there have been so many players who proved that argument false with great play in the NFL, Snacks Harrison, Carson Wentz, Jamie Collins, Tony Romo, Jimmy Garoppolo, Khalil Mack did it bother u that all those guys played D2 was the jump that significant that they couldnt make the leap. Like that argument doesn’t hold weight anymore to me, evaluate the player and stop leaning on an argument that has time and time again proven to be false the jump is possible plenty have made the jump.

2 the age I get I don’t love older prospects, ideally they come in as young as possible but he’s 24. Bakers 23 big whoop. No ones complaining about him or atleast they shouldn’t be because the NFL told us that he was the number one overall player and news flash the Jets liked Baker just as much as Darnold, if not more. The guy was put in a rare situation where he didn’t have the finances to play at his school so continued to fight to live his dream. The guy we just had here in Mo was a fan favorite and as soon as he got his money he shut it down. Maybe just maybe we need more guys like Nathan and less guys like Mo because that’s actually how u win in this league getting guys who give a damn. U can’t have it both ways and in the 3round these are the guys u draft to build ur football team

18. boozer32

Coples went 16th and sure potential is always great at this time of the silly season. This guy faces a huge upgrade in competition, the speed of the game, his lousy technique, learning a new position and his limited pass rush moves. He'll be 25 so how long will it take to get him functional in the NFL. Not good just functional?

Bellys Lies likes this.
  19. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Your concerns over the Jets offensive line are certainly warranted, but the Jets sorely needed to plug their defensive line after missing out on Ndamukong Suh this off-season, and I don't I believe Johnathin Hankins will sign here. Mac is just filling a need, and I do believe a physical specimen like Nathan Shepherd, who raised his stock at the senior bowl, would have gone off the board before the 4th round. In the end the draft is a crap shoot, but I like this pick. He's 6 foot 4 and 315 pound grinder. I noticed you said he played in Division 3, but he actually played for two division II schools: Simon Fraser University and Fort Hays State University. Bottom line, if I guy has the physical tools and work ethic it doesn't matter where he went to college. There are plenty of talented players who fell through the cracks and didn't get recruited to play for top notch division I programs. For example. Do you remember London Fletcher? He was and undrafted free agent picked up by the Rams, who played his college ball at Division III school, John Carroll University. London Fletcher went on to enjoy a 16 year NFL career (Rams, Bills, and Redskins) playing linebacker at a very high level in which he made the pro bowl 4 times and won a championship in Super Bowl XXXIV as the starting middle linebacker with the Rams against the Titans. I'm crossing my fingers Mac found a gem for our d-line, because this team needs it after losing the Sons Of Anarchy.

NYJetsO12 and CotcheryFan like this.
  20. Nesquik

We tried to play Couples at backer theyre not playing the same position