Welcome to the Jets Nathan Shepherd (3rd Rd Pick)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 27, 2018.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Exactly. After a decade the Jets finally went offense in the first round. Then with limited draft picks they are right back on message with the defense picks. A young guard to groom and push Carpenter off the team next year would have been nice. Or take a flyer on the abundant WR in this draft. Kearse will be gone next year, Stewart and Hanson haven't shown much, Enunwa is coming off a major injury and Anderson is one more incident away from suspension.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Hansen's role will expand this year. He might have the surest hands on the team. Why is it guaranteed Kearse is gone? I think him and Darnold will also have a strong rapport.

3. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Do u not realize we need a starter at end, this guy was a 2nd round talent and there wasnt a guard that deserved to be picked at that spot instead of just complaining who would u have selected there? Oh A WR kinda like Stewart and Hansen who were drafted at that same spot last year and you’re already looking to replace them because they weren’t pro bowlers their first year. Are u serious??? So let’s double down and continue to not give reps to anyone and just leaves holes everywhere else along the team GENIUS

BomberJet, LF911SC, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Last year he said the Stewart pick sucked because he wasnt as good as Amari Cooper...

FJF and Nesquik like this.
  5. Nesquik

Division 2

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We lost two key players on our defensive line this summer. We added two offensive linemen in FA. Going DL here makes just as much sense as going OL even if you don’t like it. There are still four more rounds in this draft, i’m sure you’ll get your chance to praise a pick even if it’s in the seventh round just because he doesn’t play defense.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I believe Rodger Staubach is in the HOF.

8. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I read one analysis that pointed out something worth noting: Shepard was double teamed virtually every single snap of his college career. That's what he's accustomed to dealing with, even if it was at the D2 level. Then, at the senior bowl, he was embarrassing 1st round OL prospects who tried to handle him 1-on-1. To me, that indicates that his learning curve in the NFL won't be all that steep.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think there were some better prospects available, but this kid looks like he has a chance. I don't like the fact that he's 25 already, but I'll be rooting for him big time. Looking at the video, he looks to be powerful and quick off the line. If nothing else, we'll get a lot more effort from him than we did Mo.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like the pick. I don't know how accurate a comment I read was, but read somewhere prior to the draft that Mac seemed to have an aversion to small school players. If so, maybe this signals that he's moving on from that and learning. Based on the fact that they think he's already ready to become part of the rotation, the kid must be pretty darned good. Winning every 1-on-1 at the Sr. Bowl and being double-teamed every snap in college says something about his ability.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I read a lot more about this kid and found out that he’s more of a 5t than a nose tackle. Which makes the move even more puzzling and more Jets like as it seems we’re going with the 3-4 defensive end strategy that’s basically failed us for the past 8 years.

We tried this with Coples, Richardson, Wilkerson, Williams and co.

That’s kind of the Jets motto though. If something doesn’t work you probably need to try doing it for a decade first before you try something new.

I long for the days where we can just go back to a 4-3 defense. One that’s so much simple to build and players actually have experience playing in coming out of college. Especially lineman and inside backers.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I just wanted to know if it was a reach, and several posters informed me it was not, according to the "experts." As another poster stated earlier I'm not particularly fond of drafting "reclamation projects" especially when we have other areas of need (o-line would have been nice) but I guess the value just wasn't there. Regardless I am rooting for this guy and he sounds awesome, I hope it pans out.

K'OB likes this.
  13. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Wow, really sucks that he broke his hand in Sr Bowl practice after completely dominating it the first couple practices.

14. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

https://www.ndtscouting.com/crabbs-looking-nathan-shepherds-pass-rush/

On this rep, note how quickly Shepherd transitions out of the initial hand fit and coils that right hand into a club to shed Hernandez’s hands, which pulls Hernandez’s weight off of his base. Shepherd pairs that right handed club with opening his feet to his right, causing Hernandez to chase, but he fails to bring is feet.

Shepherd generating so much power in such a tight space with his hand club was a consistent theme of his day yesterday, which moves the needle because it suggests this is a sustainable model for winning in the phone booth during live reps.

In the team reps, Shepherd push/pulled Michigan Center Mason Cole, pulling him to the ground to beat a double team.

But going back to this rush vs. Hernandez, notice how Shepherd is able to turn the shoulders and “get skinny” as Hernandez tries to reestablish his hands? That’s terrific torso mobility and a great illustration of how defenders can slip gaps in tight spaces.

The cherry on top? Shepherd finishes by reworking his inside arm into a rip to fully clear the hands off his chest.

Of course, it’s hard to fully gauge this counter in a 1 on 1 scenario, but again, Shepherd had similar success against all comers and did so even in the team drills.

This hype train is leaving the station, folks. Nathan Shepherd gives me some serious Larry Ogunjobi vibes from last year, and his rise should parallel Ogunjobi well. The Browns selected Ogunjobi with the first pick of the third round last year.

Nesquik likes this.
  15. SecretConnection

SecretConnection Active Member

I won’t claim to know much about him but everything I read sounds very good on this kid. Mclendon and Pennell are no spring chickens, much needed DL depth. Not sure if the invision him as a pure DT? He gonna see time at end?

16. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Sucks? It's probably the only reason we were able to draft him. If he did well in the Senior Bowl he's probably a 2nd rounder somewhere.

themorey likes this.
  17. Nesquik

The Ogunjobi comparison is a great one. Another reason the Browns passed on Chubb was because of that. Although they play different position (Ogunjobi and Chubb) Browns defense is sneaky good already and instead of adding to the front 7 they chose to adresss the secondary. I really think he can make an impact early on he’ll get the snaps. Hardworking CLEARLY and we can use that around here. D2 is closer to D1 than most people think as stated earlier he was beating Will Hernandez repeatedly at the Senior Bowl. And he went 34th overall

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Dude was a linebacker and put on a 100 pounds because he didn’t have the speed to compete with other linebackers.
    Wanted and still hoping for some o line but this is a good pick. Shouldn’t have knocked it last nite

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Well, the chances of praise lessen with each lower round draft pick. After all, we don't have Bill Walsh or Jimmy Johnson doing our drafting.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This ^ 1000%.

How much of the problem is really due to trying to fit "square pegs into round holes"? If you can find more talent that fits a 4-3 system, why stick with the 3-4? It's not like they've had success with it. Bowles rep was that he was a great defensive mind, but you wouldn't know it judging by his record here. And as Parcells said: "You are what your record says you are".

That said, it seems like Shepherd is flexible enough to be able to fit any scheme, so that shouldn't be an issue with him.

NCJetsfan and boozer32 like this.