Mark Sanchez to Sam Darnold: How to avoid my Jets fate

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by legler82, Apr 27, 2018.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

https://nypost.com/2018/04/27/mark-sanchez-to-sam-darnold-how-to-avoid-my-jets-fate/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

Mark Sanchez to Sam Darnold: How to avoid my Jets fate

By Mark Cannizzaro

April 27, 2018 | 1:14pm |

Mark Sanchez was putting his 17-month-old son to bed on Thursday night in Dana Point, California, when he noticed his cellphone lighting up with text messages.

The Jets had just used the third overall pick to draft Sam Darnold, a fellow former USC quarterback, to do exactly what they hoped Sanchez would do for them when they drafted him with the fifth overall pick nine years ago.

“Obviously, this draft has some parallels,’’ Sanchez told The Post over the phone late Thursday. “I was thrilled for Sam and his family. I’ve worked out with him a few times at USC and I know his family. I always root for fellow USC Trojans — especially quarterbacks.’’

Sanchez serves as both a cautionary tale and an asset as a learning resource for Darnold, because he’s lived this. He’s been thrown into the cauldron of pressure that comes with being the quarterback of a Jets franchise seemingly forever in search of its next Joe Namath.

The tone in Sanchez’s voice over the phone Thursday night ranged from genuine excitement for Darnold as a mentor wanting him to succeed, to a wistfulness that he wished he had another go at it in green to finish the job, bring a title to New York.

Most of all, Sanchez offered words of advice and encouragement for Darnold, with his life about to change forever.

“You’ve got to have the mentality that football is your No. 1 priority,’’ he said. “There’s nothing wrong with getting involved in the city and getting involved in the community and embracing New York and having fun and using all those resources to get your teammates together.

“But they’ve got to know that football’s your No. 1 (priority) and you’re working your butt off — just like I thought Nick Mangold, Brandon Moore, D’Brickashaw (Ferguson) and all those guys knew about me. No matter what anybody else would say, they knew that I cared about ball and I cared about my teammates and I wanted to win.’’

Sanchez, whose family always was by his side — his father, Nick, never missed a home game, and brothers Nick and Brandon were always close by — also had a message for Darnold’s family.
    “I told his parents, ‘You guys have got to be his rock. After his big games and after the crappy ones, you guys have got to be there and strong for him, because New York is going to demand a lot from him — emotionally, physically, all that,’’’ Sanchez said. “I told them, ‘I guarantee he will get booed.’ It’s different than college. It’s a different atmosphere. It’s a different experience. I told Sam, ‘You’re going to love it, but understand that your life’s going to change.’’’

No one can predict how this will work out for Darnold and the Jets. Two years into Sanchez’s Jets career, he’d been to two AFC Championship games, had a 4-2 record in the playoffs and was the toast of the town. Four years later, after some coaching malpractice by Rex Ryan on the offensive side of the ball, Sanchez was gone.

Since being released by the Jets in 2014, Sanchez has been on four different teams and started just 10 games. Now at age 31, he’s searching for a new team with
    an impending four-game suspension for testing positive for a banned substance (he’s stated that he believes there was a contamination in the supplement he was taking) hanging over his head.

If there’s a moral to Sanchez’s story, it’s that nothing is guaranteed and that timing and circumstance have as much to do with a player’s journey as talent does.

Sanchez didn’t say this, but I will: Hopefully, the Mike Maccagnan-Todd Bowles regime will build a strong foundation around their talented USC quarterback instead of neglecting one side of the ball the way the defense-obsessed Ryan did, leaving Sanchez exposed and broken and gone from New York too soon.

“Sam has his work cut out for him, but I think he’s up for the task,’’ Sanchez said. “I think he’s primed for it. I told him, ‘This is your dream. You’re living it. Lay it out there, man. Don’t hold back with anything. Cut it loose and have a ball. Enjoy every second of it and make sure everyone knows your priority is that I’m here to play ball and I’m here to win.’ ’’

Sanchez has no doubt Darnold has what it takes to be the quarterback the Jets crave, but he also knows sometimes that’s not enough.

“He moves well in the pocket, he throws a great ball, he has that clutch ability, that X-factor, that moxie that everybody talks about,’’ he said. “He’s a different kind of leader (than me). He’s very stoic, he’s not super emotional, so maybe that will bode well for him.

“Sam’s got everything you want. But that doesn’t always mean it works out in the NFL. There are hundreds of quarterbacks that haven’t worked out or only have had marginal success.’’

Wise words spoken by someone who knows.

#1 legler82, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    HomeoftheJets and NoodleArm like this.
  2. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Nice seeing an ex-Jet and ex-Trojan supporting Darnold.

Good for you Mark.

There is no USC curse.

There are talented QBs and some...not so much.

We got a REALLY talented one.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Mark Sanchez sucks!

matt robinson 17 and abyzmul like this.
  4. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Darnold, please don't suck like Buttfumble and you'll be fine.

Buttfumble walked into a perfect spot for a top five pick a team with a great o-line, great running game and a great defense and he still busted. Because of that it took a long time for him to get exposed for the bust that he was I hated hearing Rex say he gives us the best chance to win after another crapy game from him.

Darnold won't have that safety net. We're gonna find out about him real quick.

matt robinson 17 and egelband like this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

1. Keep your eyes open when carrying the ball towards the line.

2. No hotdogs on the field.

egelband likes this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

3. Don't fuck Kim Kardashian.

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That's a solid rule for all of mankind; we're specifically talking about Sanchez and Darnold here.

Harpua likes this.
  8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

He is right. There's a reason teams communicating with Sanchez currently won't let him in the building. If Sanchez has a job interview they force him to stand outside a window equipped with a mosquito net.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Not exactly sure where the advice from Sanchez actually is here - he’s basically saying that he did all of the things he’s advising Darnold to do, so how exactly will this advice help Darnold avoid his fate?

Brook! and JetFanInPA like this.
  10. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Don't have Rex as your coach or get hurt in the Snoopy Bowl lol

Sadly he DID, given the 'backup' was either Kellen Clemens, Mark Brunell or Tim Tebow.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They also dismantled Sanchez’s supporting cast (Braylon/Cotch/Brad Smith/Tony Richardson/Thomas Jones) to try to build a super defense and acted like Sanchez was ready to be Aaron Rodgers for this franchise as the offensive line also deteriorated.

I don’t think he would’ve. But I think he could’ve continued being Jeff Garcia if he didn’t pull all offensive familiarity from him.

RPOZ51, slimjasi and Imagesrdecieving like this.
  12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Don't butt fumble the baby.

13. jetophile

To be fair, Sanchez did get a little tooled here, agreed. He just wasn't smart enough (see Joe Girardi and also the colored wrist bands thing). Banging a 17 year old didn't help his intelligence quotient.

#13 jetophile, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Fair enough.

I think Darnold is a lot more of an introvert than Sanchez & Leinart for example. Those two liked the flashing lights off the field and tons of pretty woman and being the life of the party. I don’t see Darnold as the stereotypical California boy. He reminds me a lot more of a smaller school guy from the Midwest in terms of personality.

Leicester Jet, NY Jets68 and NYJFan10 like this.
  15. jetophile

Oh, mercy me, Matt Leinart, you spelled his name right. Remember that? I think it degraded to Matt Lionheart. It was that bad. That was a fun draft. "And the New York Jets select D'Brickashaw Ferguson" - over Leinart. Watching him drop and start to panic, that was fun. Plus, he was terrible in the end. It was almost the same frenzy with Brady Quinn on here and elsewhere. What a career that turned out to be.

Like I always say, the draft is a crapshoot. It's like picking the ponies at OTB.

Ralebird likes this.
  16. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

If you see Wayne Hunter, run him over with a truck.

jetophile likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

It worked out for the Cardinals bringing in Warner and going to a Super Bowl. But I’m always in the camp that if you spend a high pick on a quarterback or any player for that matter and the team sucks anyway you gotta play him.

It’s harder with a QB obviously because he controls the fate of the team but he did only play like 16 games over 4 years for them. I mean he was bad of course but im surprised he never got another shot anywhere really.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The article title is retarded. The real advice to avoid his fate is from the author to the Jets, and it's pretty solid.

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The best way would be not to take a snap until the offense is stabilized and upgraded.

20. jetophile

How come Wayne Hunter never got arrested for jumping a turnstile in the NYC subway? Because his job was collecting tokens.