Sam Darnold: Breaking the USC QB Mold (Article Included)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Apr 27, 2018.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...will-be-best-nfl-quarterback-to-hail-from-usc

I wanted to include the link because David Carr has some interesting insight into the collegiate/professional transition, as him and his brother have seen both ends of the spectrum.

Additionally, I do think Sam Darnold is very different than another QB coming out of that program in quite a while, from both an ability and intangible standpoint.

1) Mentality: This kid is a GAMER, I have seen him throw blocks for his teammates on film and get in pile ups when he needs to. He doesn't play the twitter or TV game with media, and I LOVE that. Give me the dry personality all day. Leinart and Sanchize were different. He has shown that he is able to ignite the players around him as well, rather than forcing the team to have to change the plan to accommodate shortcomings.

2) Athleticism: Darnold is, by far, the most naturally athletic prospect coming out of USC (former basketball player and played linebacker). Palmer was more of a pocket guy, Leinart and Sanchez weren't athletic and didn't have a good enough presence from the pocket to make up for it. I would argue that Darnold has both and will get cleaner as Bates teaches him to protect the ball and stop trying to be too much of a hero.

3) Off-script: Out of the group of prospects that have come out of USC, he has the best makeup of any of them to make plays when the initial plan breaks down. He can make throws on the run and has the ability to extend plays. Sanchez went into panic mode easy, Palmer was always a pure pocket guy, Leinart same thing but couldn't make the throws either.

All this is before he gets with an NFL coach and learns behind someone like Mccown who can give him some guidance. Darnold will frustrate us at times by playing too much hero ball, but my hunch is he is going to win us more games than he loses.

JET UP!

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Cool story Bro. How soon we forget.

Mark Sanchez
    40 YD Dash: 4.88 sec
    Vert: 32.5 in
    Broad: 116 in
    3 Cone: 7.06 sec
    20 YD Shuttle: 4.21 sec

Sam Darnold
    40 YD Dash: 4.85 sec
    Vert: 26.5 in
    Broad: 105 in
    3 Cone: 6.96 sec
    20 YD Shuttle: 4.40 sec

It's like number one super Jets fan Mike Greenberg not knowing that Sanchez was one of 2 QBs drafted by the Jets to finish his Jets career with a winning record this morning on ESPN's Get Up.

#2 legler82, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Royal Tee likes this.
  3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

nm, I just saw you said drafted by the jets.

Royal Tee likes this.
  4. FrontOfficeFanatic

Have to disagree that purely basing "athleticism" off of combine numbers tells the full story. Being athletic, specifically when talking about QB's, has a lot to do how smooth they are moving around the pocket and alluding pressure as well. Also how they take on defenders in the open field if they need to use their feet. Turn on the tape and I would make the argument that Sanchez looks very unnatural moving around out there compared to Darnold. Especially when looking to throw outside the pocket or trying to allude a free blitzer. Darnold much more light on his feet and can naturally keep the play alive more. Running in a straight line and jumping up and down don't tell the full story.

5. legler82

Sanchez had a TON of issues, but athleticism was not one of them. The further away we get from the Sanchez era, the more Jets fans continue to distort his history to make him out to be even worse than he already was as if what he put on tape was not bad enough. Sam Darnold can still be great for us and athletic in his own right without having to paint Sanchez as some kind of statue in terms of athleticism.

TwoHeadedMonster and stinkyB like this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Agreed, Sanchez was not a polished product by any stretch, his upside was based on athleticism and some intangible called the "IT FACTOR" which no human being on Earth had ever been able to explain.

He also has big hands, although Cockeye LaCanfora apparently is unable to detect it with his good eye, because he has said multiple times over the years that MS has small hands.

TwoHeadedMonster and Royal Tee like this.
  7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Yeah, the dude was plenty athletic.... more than most of the leagues top QBs
    His problems were all upstairs..... locking on receivers or throwing to the wrong team

8. FrontOfficeFanatic

I'm not disagreeing, I just think Darnold is more athletic and I think that will translate to his development as well. Also Sanchez's career could have looked a lot different if we kept him protected better in those last to seasons....he wasn't the worst on our infamous list =).

9. stinkyB

As much as USC QBs get based (most deservedly so) Carson Palmer was on his way to becoming a very good QB until he took a helmet to the knee. Some guys never really recover, he was one

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Guapo as fuck, yo.

abyzmul likes this.
  11. stinkyB

Unfortunately that's how it ended

Royal Tee likes this.
  12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Fucking autocorrect

13. abyzmul

Find some wood and knock the shit out of it.

14. abyzmul

I liked the first version.

stinkyB likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Darnold is definetely not your typical "USC type" QB. They get a lot of soft kids and/or early prodigy types that work with QB gurus from kindergarten and therefore are a little out of touch. That's more like Rosen this year.

Darnold didn't even go to a prep school. He just played for his local high school. Multi-sport athlete. A linebacker originally that stepped in at QB when they needed him to as was awesome at it.

months ago when I figured he wouldn't be available to our Jets I heard a radio interview from a USC insider that I posted a summary touching on these points, I'll see if I can find it.

FrontOfficeFanatic and abyzmul like this.
  16. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Agreed, put it back!!

17. FrontOfficeFanatic

Agreed! I loved Carson. Class act and he should have been in the same league as a Brady, Rodgers or Brees, but literally hit a series of unfortunate events.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  18. legler82

You may think that but you wrote "...Leinart and Sanchez weren't athletic...". Even if you mis-wrote, I disagree with the thought that Darnold is more athletic. I think they are about the same athletically. You are entitled to your opinion though.