It's possible that we are actually building this thing right (article included)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Apr 5, 2018.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

the three most important things about building a successful long term franchise are:

1. getting a FQB
    2. obtaining a FQB
    3. securing a FQB

get those 3 elements right and the rest will take care of itself.

2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Mac has gone all in on this 3rd overall pick. He needs a home run or he’s out and he knows it. He must know who his pick will be and has enough confidence to risk his reputation and job.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It is a calculated risk, and I think one he needed to take. The only thing he could do worse than failing at the three pick is to sit back at 6 and miss a QB entirely due to being passive.

We know the Jets really screwed things up for the Bills by making the trade, and who knows who else. I love it. I do agree if they don't get this right, he is probably out in a few years. That said, I have no problems with the strategy.

4. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

As always with this organization: I'll believe it when I see it.

Red Menace and Jets_Grinch like this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

How about he plays well, takes us to the super bowl is named mvp,signs an extension and 3 years from now we trade rosen for 2 1st round picks.
    Dream bigger bro

Jets_Grinch and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  6. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I think we have definitely been building it right since last year. I don't quite get all the Mac hate. I think he's done a great job establishing his plan last year and executing it. We are in a position to really get to the point where we've wanted to be for years with a rebuild.

We've identified a decent young group last year, cut ties with vets ALL at the right time. Are in a position to nab a FQB, and are set to lead the league in cap space next year. I call that an A+ so far.

7. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I think the Jets have more young talent than most but like others have said the O-Line should have been addressed years ago..I would be more hopeful with a young QB and O-line than a young QB and a young secondary.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Take off the green colored glasses and see the truth that every other fanbase knows. Our roster is one of the worst, if not the worst, in the league.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

"O-lines are overrated"
    David Carr

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If McCown didn’t get hurt we probably finish with one or two more wins potentially at .500. So if we had the worst roster in the league, surely you’d have to agree that Bowles is a fantastic coach.

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I like Mac and Bowles enough to see how this rebuild plays out. I can't judge until I see the full plan. Bowles can win, he's definitely not the worst HC we've had and the same can definitely said for Mac.

I'm okay with both them for now. We shall see how this draft and season play out.

12. HomeoftheJets

If McCown played anything like he normally plays we never would have won 5 games.

stinkyB likes this.
  13. thatisjetsfootball

thatisjetsfootball Active Member

Well one would argue that we missed on Sanchez, yet I lived my 2 best years as a Jet fan in 2009 and 2010.

themorey likes this.
  14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I think the most important thing is when you buy a football team that has the best coaching staff in NFL history on it the most important thing is keeping them from going to the Pats.

xxedge72x, Kris 15, abyzmul and 3 others like this.
  15. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

We'll get good enough to get to the Playoffs, Maybe CG/SB in 2 years...then It'll be time to pay players...
    guess what'll happen next?

16. TurkJetFan

That's just simply not true. Sometimes I wonder if 'green colored glasses' actually show self-hating pessimism.

17. HomeoftheJets

There's a reason Vegas has us as the longest shot to win the SB. But when I said that I didn't think we'd get Darnold. I still have us as a bad team this year, but when Brady and Belichick retire I like our chances to be the best team in the division.

#37 HomeoftheJets, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We are one of the youngest teams in the league. Only 2 players I think are 30 and older. The young players will improve and I think we got an outside shot at the playoffs for sure. If certain players break out, we are going to be in excellent shape.

Darron Lee
    Jamal Adams
    Marcus Maye
    Sam Darnold
    Our receiving core (Q, Robbie, Hansen specifically)
    Leggett

These guys need to show up.

I think the offensive line will be much improved with the upgrade at C. We will be able to protect the QB, but I am worried about the run game.

NoodleArm and CotcheryFan like this.
  19. TurkJetFan

We are in year 2 of a rebuild, we are not SB contenders. But we also do not have the worst roster in the league. That's frankly untrue. You have to view the Jets in the context of where we are developmentally as a roster and if you ask me we are in a solid position.

The Jets are building a team and building it correctly. We have shored up the secondary, which looks to be a big strength, have a D line anchor, a solid LB group. Our defense is really looking to be something quite special in the making.

Offensively sure that is still a work in progress, but we've taken some solid strides last year and added some decent players this offseason.

Vegas odds don't tell you that story.

sec314 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

Young isn't the same thing as good. Of the non-Darnold players you mention (Darnold doesn't apply because he wasn't on the roster at the time of my post), we have a LB a lot of people are calling a bust, two promising safeties, a receiver coming off a neck injury, a receiver who might screw himself out of the NFL, and two players most Jets fans have never heard of. And Travis Swanson is awful, PFF graded him as the 32nd best center in the league. In the end, you're succumbing to the name recognition fallacy. Young players who you've heard of are usually good, and you know all the Jets young players, so you think they're good. But in this case, you've heard of them not because they're good but because you're a die-hard fan.

When I say our roster is one of the worst in the league, I mean it's one of the worst of the league now. So the fact that it will likely improve in the next couple years has nothing to do with what I said. And while Vegas odds aren't perfect, they're about the only way to get an unbiased look at how good we are.

BrowningNagle likes this.