Browns GM Dorsey: 'QB hand size is important'

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 20, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Browns general manager John Dorsey didn't hesitate when asked what he's looking for in an AFC North quarterback, Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

"You all laugh at me when I say it, but I think hand size is important,'' he said during his predraft press conference Thursday. "With that being said, hand size in November and December, when it's snowing, raining, it's getting muddy. We all know the elements in Cleveland are going to play a role.''

If hand size were the sole criteria, Josh Allen would be the Browns' new franchise quarterback come Thursday night at 8 p.m. His hand measured 10 1/8 -- the only 10-plus mark among the top QBs at the NFL Combine.

What's more, Dorsey acknowledged that the Browns have to make sure that Sam Darnold, who fumbled the ball 21 times in 24 starts at USC, has adequate hand size to hang on in AFC North Stadiums down the stretch. His hand measured 9 3/8, which Browns coach Hue Jackson said at the combine was sufficient.

"You worry about that sometimes,'' said Dorsey. "So hand size (is important).''

But was this a smokescreen? An attempt to throw teams off the Darnold scent?

He went on to say that Darnold's fumbling isn't hard to fix.

"I don't think it is,'' said Dorsey. "(But) I think you have to sit and evaluate how he handles the ball, what are the cause of those fumbles? Evaluate that on a case-by-case basis."

2. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

It is important. As is grip strength which could be a mitigant against hand size viewed as inadequate. Hopefully they're just over the moon enamored with Allens hands and his ability to throw the ball a country mile. Hackenallen is all your Cleveland. Enjoy!

3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Tom Coughlin taught Tiki Barber how not to fumble

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I recall a lot was made of the usually oversized mitts on Mark Sanchez. So obviously hand size is not a determining factor in QB success.

Late edit: the word should be unusually.

#4 westiedog1, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Sanchez despite large hand size was the all time NFL leader in fumbles per game after his 1st four years.

6. JohnnyJet1222

JohnnyJet1222 Active Member

I think a lot of it is awareness with what's going on around you. Mayfield doesn't have big hands yet very few fumbles.

ColoradoContrails and westiedog1 like this.
  7. forevercursed

grip strength bro

And yes Sanchez had zero pocket awareness. Just no clue as to anything going on. And he never learned anything

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

high and tight! still a RB is different then a QB. the large hands help them to hold on when their hands get swatted at. Sanchez had issues because he was like a deer in the headlights, no size hands can fix that

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Yep. Keep the ball elevated, two hands on the ball, and gettign the ball out of your hand quickly matter as much as hand size when it comes to fumbles. Mark's biggest issue was getting the ball out on time. Once his line crumbled and couid not provide him extra time the problems became very obvious.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The funny thing about Sanchez was all 4 of his years he was one of the least pressured and hit QBs in the league but he was the worst at responding to pressure, ducking his head, panicking and running blindly. I think in 2011 he had some crazy number of a sack to pressure rate of 25 percent the highest of anyone in the league.

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Just couldn't be more than a game managing QB. He was below average in most statistical categories in 2009 and 2010. A better QB might've won us a Super Bowl.

Noam likes this.
  12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Agree. Any QB would have been an improvement. In fact much of the time with Sanchez we essentially had no QB as the whole focus of the offense was to limit the damage Sanchez could do. For example not letting him throw on 3rd down or the Colts playoff win where we just took the ball out of his hands in the 2nd half and just ran the ball as he was so bad. Essentially he was a QB his two years that got to throw play action on 1st and 2nd down against 8 or 9 in the box selling out against the run. I doubt any QB has ever had it easier and been put in more favorable throwing opportunities.

#12 Noam, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    forevercursed likes this.
  13. forevercursed

Should've convinced Favre to stay. Favre in 09 and this team may get to that Super Bowl

Noam likes this.
  14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Arguably that 2008 team with Favre might have been the most talented we have ever had. I believe that year we had 12 players that were either in the pro bowl or an alternate. 2009 and 2010 absent QB we might have had the most talented team in the league. We really had a window there.

Sam Hammer and CotcheryFan like this.