Josh Allen.... could he be the Jets version of Porzingis?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Apr 18, 2018.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I remember how Knick fans HATED the Porzingis pick. How did that work out? We call Kristaps a unicorn for a reason. Josh Allen is also a unicorn with his rare skill set.

2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If we draft Allen I’ll be over the moon! He’s the best prospect in this draft and has the potential to be great in a west coast offence. Bates took a similar type arm talent in Jay Cutler a pro bowler.

I highly doubt he’s there at 3 but if he is it’s a no brainer pick.

3. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

He's not the best prospect in the draft. He has the highest upside. Odds of him reaching that upside are low. He's an inaccurate passer and this only gets worse in the pro's.

He's a poor fit for the WCO

The one pro bowl season Bates squeezed out of Cutler a while ago is pretty irrelevant now. Cutler has been mostly a disappointment throughout his career. At his best he's average. Allen will end up either like a taller Sanchez or a less asshole-ish Cutler. Lot of incompletions, lot of stupid picks, some beautiful throws that make you wonder why he can't do this all the time. He may not even be ready to start for another year or two. Mac and Bowles don't have that long. The other QB's can pretty much step in and play right away (though they'd all benefit from some watching and learning)

4. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Hahahaa

How dare u??

5. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Allen does seem to be a better person than Jay Cutler could be. But Cutler has the edge over in the QB. But we shall see come NFL draft weekend.

6. "My Favorite" is Martin

Perhaps. As a Knicks fan the comparison I came up with is for Rosen. What is happening to Rosen reminds me of what happened with Dennis Smith Jr. People were worried about his injury history and personality issues. They were both highly touted in HS and were under close scrutiny in college. The Mavs celebrated when the Knicks passed on him. The Knicks got a decent player in Frank who may yet develop but it really hurts when they show DSJ highlights.

boozer32 likes this.
  7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Great. Let's compare him to Porzingbust.

8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’m only referring to the arm talent not personality

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A TD Int Rate
    225 421 53.4 2815 6.7 28 10 126.8

152 270 56.3 1812 6.7 16 6 127.8

Quick, not using Google, which one is Allen and Which is Kyle Boller?

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/04/2018-nfl-draft-josh-allen-high-school-stats

The Josh Allen bashing has officially crossed the line

By: Steven Ruiz| April 19, 2018 5:26 pm

The 2018 NFL draft cannot get here soon enough. Draft season has officially fallen off the rails, and I’m blaming Josh Allen.

Well, it’s not actually the Wyoming quarterback’s fault. He didn’t start the hype train that caused Draft Twitter to resent his status as a sure-fire first-round pick. He didn’t make himself a foil for Lamar Jackson, who has had to deal with criticism influenced by racial bias while Allen has managed to avoid similar criticism because he has “the look.”

I am not a fan of Allen’s game and have a hard time envisioning him developing into a franchise quarterback, but the criticism of this 21-year-old has gone too far. Like, posting-high-school-JV-stats too far…

View image on Twitter
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Josh Allen's completion percentage In his football career:

8:45 AM - Apr 19, 2018

(We still have seven days before the Browns make their pick. Don’t rule out somebody posting some all-22 from Allen’s peewee days before we get to draft day.)

A prospect being torn down during the pre-draft process isn’t a new phenomenon, but with Allen, it’s hit another level. Everyday, there’s a new stat or GIF that is passed around and used as proof he’s actually terrible at football. At a certain point, it stops being informative and starts to get a little uncomfortable. When high school stats are being posted, we’ve hit that point.

Allen is a flawed prospect who was overhyped from the jump, but we may have crossed over to the point that he’s actually underrated. Read Twitter and you’d think he’s undraftable.

For the sake of balance, let’s say some good things about the kid: Allen has a ridiculously high ceiling and that is, arguably (though I won’t be the one to make the argument), worth a first-round pick in today’s NFL. If he gets linked up with a good coach who can make use of all that natural ability, he has a chance to be really good.

Sure, he’s inaccurate and is little more than a good athlete with a special arm, but it’s not like that combo hasn’t worked for great quarterbacks in the past. Brett Favre didn’t even know what a nickel defense was before he got to Green Bay. Draft Twitter would have hated Favre, too.

10 NFL teams that desperately need a uniform change
    10 NFL teams that desperately need a uniform change 10. Browns 9. Bengals 8. Cardinals 7. Rams 6. Broncos 5. Eagles 4. Buccaneers 3. Falcons 2. Panthers 1. Jaguars

Noam likes this.
  11. legler82

#11 legler82, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  12. forevercursed

The Jets are not drafting a qb that has to sit for two years (or a minimum 1 and 1/2 yeara) like Allen. The coach and GM don't have the time. Whoever they draft must have a positive impact this year for them to be totally secure for 2019. Allen wont be Hackenberg but what he really needs is a smalltime NFL franchise with no media microscope

13. legler82

So media market >>> talent? That's so Jetsy...LOL

FJF likes this.
  14. forevercursed

Talent is being able to throw footballs accurately which Josh Allen can't do which Baker Mayfield can

Leicester Jet, boozer32, Noam and 2 others like this.
  15. legler82

LOL

16. forevercursed

Any actual rebuttal to Allens horrific accuracy?

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  17. legler82

LOL...I don't have the time to debate such low football IQ positions. You can have your silly argument with John Brenkus and Trent Dilfer.

18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

They already said there is no playoff mandate for this year. The Jets will pick whoever they think has the best shot at long term success, whether it takes a couple years or not.

FJF and CotcheryFan like this.
  19. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Disagree. McCagnan and Bowles need the rookie to show signs of life in order to keep their jobs

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Wow..now the 'no playoff mandate" translates to getting J Allen ????..ugh

I never heard of ANY NFL OWNER serious about winning who would EVER say such a thing and demotivated a team ..only the assclown Johnson family

Noam likes this.