Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Lol just because Pennington was injury plagued doesn't mean I can't love the guy. Poor bastard didn't start getting hurt until that 2003 preseason game vs the giants. :(

2. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Nah, I love Pennington too. Only jersey I've gotten. He was the real deal when he played.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

The 2002 season was magic. He was at his best that year. Was at the Green Bay game when we clinched the playoffs and the Colts game when we romped 41-0. Special season.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

5. xxedge72x

That was probably my favorite game I've ever attended. My wife, my two cousins, and myself sat in the parking lot watching the end of the Patriots Miami game. When New England hit the game winning field goal, we sprinted through the cattle crossing into the stadium and the stadium was going so crazy you could hear it from outside. That was such a glorious day.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm doing great X. Living in AZ, healthy, I've gone to a ton of Cardinals games the last few years. They're in the same boat as the Jets, need a QB. I actually got to see a lot of Bowles when he was DC. I got to say the guy was a great DC. Did more with less than most and made great half time adjustments. Being a HC is a tough gig especially in NY. He's a very smart football guy but that doesn't mean he's going to develop into a great HC.

The Jets are not in a terrible situation. The way I see it the AFC is going through a major changing of the guard. I could see Rivers, Brady and Ben gone in the blink of an eye. The NFC is loaded with good QB's at the moment it's a real tough Confrence. The Jets make a few good moves they could be in the hunt pretty quick. I was surprised they didn't grab Mahomes last years, Arians loved him, the Cards sat and waited to get him and KC traded up. I think that kills the Cards for a long time. I think you let two good ones get by last year. I'm actually glad you didn't get Cousins. The three year deal he got is very reminiscent of Revis. The guy has a good feel for making money.

I felt the same way about the Cards picking up Bradford. The guys made 140 million and is a 500 QB when healthy and his made of glass. They should put a picture of Sam on a new 100 dollar bill.

The draft is going to be crazy. I think there are going to be a lot of trades.

NYJetsO12 and xxedge72x like this.
  7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Mariota is an interesting QB. Great completion percentage in college and he can't hit the side of the barn in the pro's. He is tough as nails and I give him credit for the way he seems to will his team to victories. Winston also looks like he is regressing. He's been wild high. I still think Winston is going to be miles better. The problem Winston has is he's in an amazingly tough division. He's still a much more talented thrower than Marrota.

6-10 once again and xxedge72x like this.
  8. xxedge72x

My parents actually just moved just outside of Tuscon. The pictures they've been sending from there are breathtaking, and makes me jealous when viewed against the mediocrity that is central NJ. My father bleeds green like I do, but he'll be spending more time watching the Cardinals as well, simply because he is there.

I too really wanted Mahomes last year, he was my Mayfield from the previous season. I like Jamal Adams, but he still does the thing I disliked most about him: ankle diving. If Mahomes becomes what I think he can be, then picking Adams will look foolish in hindsight. You could say the same for Watson, but let's see how he looks coming off injury. Great rookie campaigns are never indicators of a great career ahead.

I'm honestly happy with where the Jets are right now. They had some quality wins last year, and we know they are finally taking a smart approach to team building rather than chasing lightning. Whoever the Jets draft to be QB, so long as they are a top 20 QB in the NFL sooner than later, with potential to be better, then the Jets are in great shape. Should be some fun years ahead, even if I'm not 100% sold on Bowles, and think Kacy Rodgers must have some blackmail material on Bowles.

9. JohnnyJet1222

JohnnyJet1222 Active Member

If I'm not mistaken Pennington was the only other QB during the Brady era to win the AFC east. Once with the Jets and once with the Dolphins.

10. xxedge72x

I think this is right.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This is correct, though 2008 shouldn't really count as Brady was hurt. 2002 was amazing though. Including a Week 16 Sunday Night Football game in New England, against the defending Champs, and Chad dominated. As @xxedge72x said, the following week was the best at Giants Stadium defeating the Packers. Then the following week a 41-0 win over Peyton and the Colts. Probably the best 3 week stretch of being a Jets fan for me.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

to be fair even without brady they still wen't 11-5 and beat us week 2 with cassel and took us to overtime week 11

13. xxedge72x

Greg Cosell's scouting report on Mayfield. Cosell is very respected as far as scouts go:

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. xxedge72x

Here are the other Cosell evaluations, he definitely loves Rosen:

Darnold not published yet.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

When I read all the posts bitching about how immature, and what a cocky prick Mayfield is, I can't help thinking back to when Marino was passed over by all those teams who only saw red flags. I can see the same thing happening here again.

16. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

You just put Marino and Mayfield in the same discussion.
    I hope you were not comparing their play, ability, or anything other than him sliding in the draft like Marino.
    I'm asking.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don;t know how mayfield will turn out, but given how the game is played today, he might very well succeed. As well as Marino? Not likely, but who knows? He's proved everyone who's bet against him wrong so far. All I'm saying is that all this complaining about his cockiness, and immaturity may be clouding the issue, which is: does his ability translate to the NFL? I think yes.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Winston is a weirdo, but far more ahead in comparison to Mariota. Mariota is still having issues under center.

The issues I mentioned about Mariota going back to the draft is still very evident. He’s a warrior, but he hamstrings the offense.

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Last year that OL Miami drafted had a pot smoking video...now THATS alot worse...Or Jamaeis Winston stealing crab legs from Publix???? C'mon now ..fuhgetaboutit

If you noticed the NFL is filled with potential convicts ...read the papers. The League is High on talent/entertainment Low on morality...what else is new?? Baker is no choir boy by any stretch..he's the Mini Beast!! (With swag)

Soon as BM joins a team he will hit the books imo

#1719 NYJetsO12, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    xxedge72x likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am never SURE what Jets fan want! We are potentially getting a QB that might take us to a SB (yes SB) and people have their shorts in a bunch over "cockiness" "attitude" from BM..who just is what he is...Frankly I consider that swag and chip on his shoulder his BIGGEST selling point..Case in point A WALK ON who astounded everyone ....including that smartee Greg Cosell...my goodness WHAT DO YOU WANT?????? Perfection? Not there

Wasting my time as 50 year fan has absolutely SUXED...passing on Mahomes and Watson was just continued lunacy..for 2 Safties ?double and triple feh

This year is a STEP in the right direction ...live with it!!!

And most of all ...Joe Willie HAD COCKY AND SWAG all over him

#1720 NYJetsO12, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018