Jet draft day trades?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AJT73, Apr 19, 2018.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I think the Jets have a few veterans they might look to trade on draft night for extra picks. Here are some of the players:

1. Powell: For whatever reason the fans love him but I don't think the coaching staff does. I can see us at nest our 4th round pick to trade for a third round pick. Anthony Lynn and him seem to like each other maybe a trade with San Diego. Maybe a 3rd rounder is too rich but some sort of move.

2: Kearse: Our best bargaining chip. At best our third and Kearse for a second. Again maybe too rich and I am over estimating what we can get for him but might be a possibility. The only issue with Kearse is he is a qbs best friend. Runs great routes is clutch and always seems to make a big play. With us drafting a qb I wouldn't want to lose him.

Not sure of any other possible players but those two jump out at me. I can see us trying to get something for Petty and or Hackenburg but at this point we'll be lucky to get a bag of footballs for them.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We won't trade our best receiver when we are trying to groom a new qb and I'm not sure we can get much of anything for Powell. We really don't have much in the way of marketable talent. We let all we had walk away the last two years and replaced them with nothing.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I could see the Jets doing minor trade downs to recoup picks. I don't think they're going to trade more picks from next season, since they are down the 2nd already.

On the subject of vets, I'm sure the Jets would listen to offers for Powell if they came. I'm not sure they'd be looking to trade anybody else at this point in a meaningful trade. I mention Powell just because of his age and the fact that he is a solid player in a RBBC and a contender might look at him as a missing piece in the puzzle. Cap on his value would probably be a 4th round pick.

4. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Powell has no value. 30 year old RB who is basically a 3rd down back. He has been a good Jet, but he isn't worth trading for. I don't get the Kearse buzz, I thought he played great last year and hope he stays.

Harpua likes this.
  5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I could see them maybe moving down a bit from their third rounder this year, in an attempt to pick up a 4 or a 5 as well.

Harpua likes this.
  6. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with what you say. But I also think Mac would like more picks. I think with Crowell, McGuire, Rawles and possibly a drafted rb he'd look to trade Powell. Like you said a 30 year old rb probably not getting much if anything but I think he'd try.

As for Kearse. I think it would be wrong. He'd be a huge help to a rookie qb but if Mac feels he can get value for him I think he looks at Kearse as expandable. I think the Jets have 15 wrs on the team now. With Pryor, Enuwa, and Anderson I think he thinks he can trade Kearse and Stewart and Hanson can replace him or worse case sign someone in August who contributes like Kerley last year. I don't like the plan but I can see it happening.

7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Powell is also a good receiver. I could see teams like the Patriots interested in somebody like that. Powell on the Patriots would scare me. Yeah, I doubt he gets us more than a 4th by himself, but he could be part of moving up from the 3rd to 2nd round. That would probably be worth it if it can get us a player like Price or Nick Chubb.

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Thats a possibility, but outside of a move like that we have little to no ammo to be making any moves of signifigance. That was already done for this draft.

9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Kearse provides some veteran stability at WR at a time when Anderson might get suspended and Enunwa is coming back from a neck injury that cost him the entire season. I don't see him being moved. Hansen and Stewart still have to prove themselves.
    As for Powell, I don't think he's going anywhere either. He's been solid for us and we have other big holes to fill.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. There are no reasons to trade either Powell or Kearse. In doing so, the Jets would just be hurting the offense and creating more holes. Especially since they're gonna be drafting a QB at #3, they don't want to trade one of their best and most reliable WRs and one of their best and most reliable RBs.

RochesterJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

No offense, but you have no idea whether Powell has any value or not. I wish you guys would stop making the absolute pronouncements when you don't have any idea what the Jets or NFL think about certain players. The site would be a lot better if you did stop. We traded a 5th round pick for Brandon Marshall. Seattle gave us a 2nd rounder for Sheldon Richardson. No one on this site saw that coming. We thought Richardson probably had zero trade value or at best a 4th round value. We have no idea how NFL teams value players.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with you on Kearse. Powell I think is expandable. Him being traded next weekend won't shock me.

13. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I'm willing to bet people would have valued around that at the time. No one saw the trade coming, but the value makes perfect sense. I find it hard to believe (see, not an absolute) that a 30 year old running back that gets injured every time he is given a heavier work load would demand a draft pick in a trade. Especially when you add in that the Jets signed Crowell for decent money, have a young RB who looked ok in spurts of action, and also signed Rawls. Powell doesn't fit in that picture, let the Jets cut him. We have no leverage to demand anything for Powell and no one will offer anything.

Also, not against you against you, but if I have no idea whether Powell has value, but you also have no proof that he has value. We both have opinions. Don't get on your high horse because I said he has no value. Also don't compare one of the best WR's of the last decade (with mental health issues) and a young defensive tackle to an underused, aging RB. Provide an example of a 30 year old 3rd string running back being traded for a draft pick and you will change my mind. The only one I could think of would be Darren Sproles, and I'm not sure if he was traded or not (and I'm too lazy to look it up). Powell is a better runner than Sproles, and while he is a decent pass catching RB, he is no where close to Sproles.

FJF likes this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

*expendable, meaning we could survive without him
    Not expandable, meaning he could get bigger. Though Powell did take a suspension for peda so I guess he could be considered expandable as well.
    As far as shopping him, the only team that likes to trade for rbs approaching or over 30 would be us so the market may be kind of thin

15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

To my knowldege and quick google search Powell was never suspended for PEDs. As for a team trading for him I agree. We seem to be the only ones who want 30 year old running backs. That might make it hard to trade but knowing the Jets I can see them trading their 3 round pick for him. Surprised we haven't been linked to Adrian Peterson yet.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You’re right on the suspension, I remembered the bilal Powell ped thread and forgot what it was about for a minute.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Lol ....Thats practically our whole offense fella..

18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Does Darron Lee have any value? He'd be the first I'd try to throw in a deal since he's still young and has some upside.

19. NCJetsfan

My issue was with the way you stated it as an absolute. It didn't read as just your opinion. Opinions are fine. It's the absolutes I can't stand. If you want to make it clear that it's your opinion then "imo" helps make that clear. Quite a few posters here speak in absolutes like they know everything. Adding the "imo" clarifies what we're saying.

Powell doesn't get hurt every time he gets a heavier workload. That's not true. I'm sorry that you don't like him, but he has been a very good, productive player for the Jets, been a great citizen and hasn't caused them one bit of trouble. He deserves respect and to retire a Jet. He has been a great contributor especially these last 2-3 seasons.

Rawls is the one who can't stay healthy and probably will not make the team imo. If he made it over Powell I would be shocked.

LOL I wasn't comparing Marshall with Powell talent-wise. I used him as an example of how we don't have any idea of how the NFL values players, and that varies widely from team to team.

With regards to Powell's trade value (or lack thereof), it would all depend upon situation. If a team's starting RB went down in TC or preseason or even up until the trade deadline, and they realized that they were going to have to go with a RB by committee approach the rest of the season, a team could easily want to add Powell, especially if they were a playoff team. The same would go if a team lost it's #2 RB.