Browns have considered drafting 2 Qbs with their 1st 2 picks

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 19, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

The Cleveland Browns have "considered" drafting a quarterback with both the No. 1 and No. 4 overall picks, Kevin Clark of the Ringer reports.

While it may seem extreme, the benefits of taking two top quarterback prospects are actually pretty clear: In a city where the hit rate at that position has been zero percent, you essentially double your chances at acquiring a successful player at the most important position in sports. The people Clark spoke with, however, were quick to outline the downsides—not enough practice reps to develop two quarterbacks and the inability to trade a rookie midseason because of a clause in the CBA. One person he spoke with mentioned how many unintended consequences you’d face if you upended the draft in such a way (specifically in the far-fetched scenario in which they took two passers in the top four), but that he’d still thought about it plenty.

That Browns people have even considered this is interesting in itself, and it underscores how many possibilities Cleveland has at their disposal. They came into this offseason with perhaps the greatest bounty of draft picks and cap space of any team in the modern era. After some offseason signings, they still have a league-high $68 million in cap space. They hold five selections in the top 64 picks in the draft, and they had eight picks in the top 123 before losing two choices in trades.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I bet this is just a smokescreen to get a team to move up to 4. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

If you think about it, 1st round QBs have a 50% bust rate, so it does kind of cover your ass, even though both QBs they pick could bust out. I hope they do it just to screw the bills.

Noam likes this.
  4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Funny that came out today because I was thinking just that this morning. Think about it, it is a no lose situation for them. They can try out both and have an auction for the loser or even better they can sell one of them for a ransom on day 1. Not to mention just by saying that probably just drove up the price of the number 4 by at least another first rounder.

5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

As long as we're daydreaming if the Browns wanted to try something like this I wonder if one way to make it work might be to take your favorite guy at #1, then trade down the #4 pick to the Bills or whomever, then take Jackson with a mid round pick. Then you could conceivably get Jackson to contribute Kordell Stewart style as a slash guy while continuing to groom him as a QB but if their #1 guy imploded he's right there to plug in.

Given Cleveland's position that wouldn't be "that" outrageous to try. If they hit a decent player with whoever else they got for trading down it would almost be like getting Jackson for free. Or at least pennies on the dollar.
    It would still be kind of a wild strategy but what the hell.... when your 0 and 32 you can pretty much try whatever the hell you feel like and know your not going to make it any worse.

6. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Would probably totally fuck up both of them, the guy at 1 will be pissed they picked a guy at 4, and the guy at 4 will not be happy being the second choice and having to compete with another first rounder.

7. "My Favorite" is Martin

In theory if 1st rounders have a 50% success rate, then taking two first round talent QBs would give them a 75% chance of at least one being good.

8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

You're also guaranteeing yourself a malcontent, because even putting yourself in position to roll with the better of the two, you will have a top 5 pick QB on your roster who you aren't spending time developing like you are the other. It is a case where a player can truly make the case they are being screwed.

Also, what good is having a choice of franchise QBs if the team surrounding them isn't optimized?

This idea sounds like going from one end of extreme stupid under Sashi Brown to the complete other. To that end, I don't think Dorsey is that stupid, and I don't expect the Browns to actually do this.

9. "My Favorite" is Martin

Don't get me wrong. I think it is a terrible idea. I was just rationalizing why the thought might cross their mind. If I were them I would get the QB of choice and then take either Barkley or Chubb at 4. Get the QB to lead your frachise and either pair him with an elite rb or pair Myles Garrett with another nightmare for opposing QBs so one of them will get a 1 on 1 with a blocker.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So the Browns take Allen at #1 and Mayfield at #4.

A split-second after they take him Mayfield is demanding a trade to the Arizona Cardinals. The only problem is that right after the Mayfield pick Allen demands a trade to the Broncos. Both players say they won't sign with the Browns.

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Speaking of trades, the new CBA stipulates that teams may only trade rights to rookies up to 30 days before the first regular season game. Once that date has passed, they are only able to sign a contract with the team that drafted them.

This is significant because at that point you are looking at a dead cap hit for a 1st or 4th overall pick QB signing bonus based on the pre-defined rookie wage scale, spread over 4 years.

I seriously doubt any team that evaluates two players to be so close in talent that it is worth picking both and allowing them to duke it out Thunderdome style will have that answer before they've played their first preseason game.

Only way I can see the Browns do this if they are in the midst of a trade negotiation and need to pick the player to ensure they don't lose the trade. IE they know this player won't be their guy.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

when you can finish 0-16 as a coaching staff and not lose your jobs, something this ballsy is possible.

I don't dislike the idea though. especially with the rookie pay scale. may the best guy win out and you have some trade bait for the other guy

13. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

There is zero chance this happens.

Cleveland is in the best position in the entire draft. Taking another QB would nullify what they have.

They are either getting the first or second best non-QB in this draft at 4. That's huge.

Or...

They are going to be able to trade the 4 for an outrageous loot.

You don't pass on that when you already get your choice of any QB you want at 1.

14. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

The idea of taking two QBs isn't bad, but doing it with #1 and #4 is a bit excessive. The Browns could easily go with their top choice at #1 and one of the second tier guys at #33 or #65. This way there wouldn't be excessive pressure on the #1 pick, and they could groom the other QB.

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

"In a city where the hit rate at that position has been zero percent, you essentially double your chances"

Anyone want to tell Kevin Clark what happens when you double zero?