Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I would be utterly shocked if our drafted QB is the week 1 starter.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want him on the jets. I don't see his career or him being much better then mccown.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Someone (probably you) posted analytics that showed how many times last season teams took snaps from under center and how many were in shotgun formation. If I remember correctly, the Jets took more snaps from shotgun formation than they did from under center as I think most NFL teams did. That's why those who are saying Mayfield will struggle or might bust because he isn't use to taking snaps from under center are just wrong and their logic is a total failure. That will be practically a non-factor for any of the QBs in this draft.

4. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

Mayfield should only be an option if Darnold and Rosen go #1 and #2. Passign up Rosen for Mayfield is a Jets/Knicks type move. NO WAY.

5. GasedAndConfused

and morton got shitcanned and our offense by league standards still sucked. if it wasn't for anderson blowing by people so easily our offense would have been dead last in the NFL. anderson made our offense. so you want to install an offense that failed and got the OC fired? lets bring back spurior and the fun and gun while we are at it. hell lets bring back the wildcat. You fail to see the reason why the spread offense doens't work in the NFL but does in college

6. Martin&theJETS

I don't understand the title of the article. The Chargers don't pick 6 lol.

7. GasedAndConfused

someone posted the top 5 and bottom 5 in shotgun snaps from 2016 and the team with the most shotgun stats (niners at 99%) was the worst offense in the NFL. the stats showed that balance led to the best offense. the teams heavy with shotgun and the teams that didn't use it much, mostly had shitty offenses.

8. NCJetsfan

Absolute, utter nonsense!!!! You have no idea what the Jets are looking for in their QB, what their offense will look like, how Rosen and Mayfield performed in interviews and the whiteboard, how each will fit in not only the offense, but as a leader and face of the franchise.

9. GasedAndConfused

he's barely broken 20TDs because he can't stay healthy for a full season

10. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

What if all the QB stuff is a smokescreen for Chubb?

Dun Dun Dunnnnnnnnnnnnnn

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I disagree. Not like they signed Cousins or Keenum or any clear starter. McCown is 39 and not very good. Bridgewater is coming off a serious knee injury. Petty and Hackenberg are clearly bad. I don't think Bowles would mind if McCown repeated his 2017 season and did start most of the year or Bridgewater returns to pre-injury form, but both are unlikely. The #3 Pick will play at some point. Probably before the middle of the season.

12. GasedAndConfused

we'll find out soon enough, but i doubt it unless it's rosen. none of the other QBs would look any better then petty or hack as a rookie most likely

13. NCJetsfan

Who is Drew from New Jersey, and why should we give a crap what he thinks?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I will give you this, teams definitely care about whether Mayfield can take snaps from under center effectively:

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/bake...nter-exchanges-nfl-draft-oklahoma-quarterback

15. xxedge72x

He's a meatball who probably resides from either Staten Island or the Jersey Shore and drops as many hot takes as Cowturd.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

From the article.

"Fourteen thousand, six hundred and seven passing yards later, Mayfield found himself at a Mexican restaurant in Hollywood, the Red O, huddling with an agent who was recommended by a handful of Sooners greats. Jack Mills handed him a sheet of paper detailing the compensation for each pick in the first round of last year’s draft. This was January, and most of the experts were pegging Mayfield as a mid-first-round selection. ESPN analyst Todd McShay, for one, had Mayfield at No. 19, to the Chargers. (Ultimately L.A. would end up with the 17th pick.) Mayfield took the paper and in ink drew a line underneath the No. 5 selection, held by the Broncos. “I’m not going later than this,” he said."

17. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Now that I think about it....It's actually not crazy if they think Teddy B can get healthy at some point. He's only 2 years older than mayfield.

18. xxedge72x

I did post something like that, though understanding that the Jets scheme is not going to be a slight variation of last year under Bates. It will be a significant shift in philosophy so there is only limited value in what they did last year.

I was listening to Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller talking on SiriusXM about Mayfield at the senior bowl, and how when he takes snaps from under center, he doesn't get enough distance in his first step back, which in turn would limit his drop capacity, which is a problem because of his height. As a shorter guy, it is imperative that his drop backs are flawless.

Kirwin went on to say as a former GM, he wouldn't even have that on the list of reasons not to draft Mayfield, as it is one of the most coachable problems a QB can have.

NCJetsfan and GasedAndConfused like this.
  19. Martin&theJETS

Thanks lol. I skipped over and hit the bolded section.

20. GasedAndConfused