Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

Cowherd just briefly spoke about a report out there saying Baker to the Jets is a "done deal", assuming he's there at #3 and Darnold is gone. Doesn't seem like it's being reported on any of the reputable sites (ESPN, ProFootballTalk, etc) yet, so it's really just more draft noise.

That said, the Baker to the Jets narrative has gained so much momentum over the last week or so, that it sure seems likely he'll be the pick. I like him, but not over Rosen.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the browns signed taylor so they wouldn't have to play a rookie. the bills have had an on/off relationship with taylor his whole career. I do agree though it's possible the bills could bench mccarron for the rookie. they did it for peterman when he wasn't reayd and he threw 5 picks in 1 half and they benched him. No way the jets play a rookie if he isn't ready. that's why we brought back mccown and signed teddy. Bradford getting hurt is not only possible but likely. if he was to stay healthy though, no way they'd bench him. bradford is a dam good QB when healthy

3. GasedAndConfused

smokescreen really. no way the jets would tip their hands that much. these reports are often wrong. I expect the draft to go the way we would have thought months ago then the rumors now

FJF likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

So Allen it is. I knew it!

I like all of that news if it is true. I feel the same. Darnold clear #1, then Rosen but Mayfield is starting to gain momentum. I like Allen too, but too big of a risk for this current regime.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I really think if you forget everything in your head and just watch all 4 of these QB's throw the ball it's really clear how much better he is than the other guys. I was all over Allen but after watching a lot of his tape, he's not ready. I I hate Mayfield at 3 because of his height but I get why people like him. Rosen just looks like a veteran NFL QB the way he sets up and throws the ball. Darnold looks like a really talented, great size and arm hot mess.

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I get it and I agree he is really smooth. But what really excites me about Rosen is not his balance, his mechanics and his arm but the stories about his acumen and how much he studies reading defenses. How he is able to make quick reads and check out of plays. How fast he processes whats going on during the play and progresses through his reads. This is what excites me. Most QBs no matter what their physical tools do not process the game fast enough to ever be successful. The game is just to fast. Rosen because of his brain has the upside of Manning. He could be really good. Processing speed is what excites me about Mayfield as well. Both of these guys are far from sure things and have very large red flags. But I am excited to get one of the two. Like I said earlier I hope that no team in our division drafts Rosen. I don't want to see him for the next 10+ years. The same can be said for Mayfield. Whoever we don't get I hope goes far away.

Edited Rosen for Allen in second sentence as I initially entered the wrong name.

#1586 Noam, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  7. GasedAndConfused

let us not forget guys like peyton manning weren't known for a great arm. they won with smarts. peyton was basically an OC on the field which was a huge advantage. he was a DCs nightmare. he never had a cannon arm or anything close. even eli has a better arm but he's not nearly as smart as peyton. Allen has the same "good old country boy" personality that a lot of the best QBs posess

8. The Dark Knight

I will say this: I don't think the Jets/Mayfield rumors are smoke screen. The reason is the Jets are in a good spot to leak that they like Mayfield and for it to be true. Normally, you would not say how much you like or want a prospect, but the Jets have little to lose if they really like Mayfield. They pick at #3. The Browns and Giants are not likely taking Mayfield. If they somehow did, that would mean a combo of Darnold, Rosen or Allen drop to the Jets. So this is a rare situation where a team could speak truly on their draft preferences, without it hurting them in any way.

xxedge72x and phubbadaman like this.
  9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

There have been some rumors that the Broncos really like Mayfield. If that rumor was true they would be in a good position to try to trade up and jump the Jets.

10. GasedAndConfused

it could be baiting a team to trade up with the giants to 2nd overall for mayfield so we can take who we really want.

FJF and The Dark Knight like this.
  11. The Dark Knight

Yeah, that is what I am saying. That would be fine with me. Imagine if The Browns select, Allen, Broncos trade up for Mayfield, and the Jets end up with Darnold/Rosen? I'd love it.

FJF and GasedAndConfused like this.
  12. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

You: "he has never taken a snap from center. He's not looking ready to play this year"

Me: "I am sure they will limit his under center snaps. Similar to how the Texans modified their offense for Watson."

How is that me disagreeing with you?
    @SolidGoldBowles

13. GasedAndConfused

it's disagreeing because i said mayfield won't play this year, you disagreed saying they will change the offense for him. you gave a reason at least but you still disagreed with me.

lets not play this game, lets move on and be adults and stick to talking football

14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Never say never.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  15. xxedge72x

Adjusting to a players strengths and weaknesses is basically standard operating procedure. Bates did exactly that when working with Jay Cutler and Cutler enjoyed the best season of his professional career as a result. But some would have us continue to slam our heads against the "there is only 1 way to do this" approach.

16. GasedAndConfused

thanks for the info, it's pretty concerning I didn't see any throws. was it all running plays?

17. The Dark Knight

The 3rd Overall Pick in the draft is not sitting the entire season no matter which of the 4 it is. I prefer young QB's sitting and learning, but after the Hackenberg fiasco, you can bet that whichever QB the Jets pick will be on the field at some point in the 2018 season and no one should be shocked if it's Week 1.

18. xxedge72x

Nope, only one option for Mayfield. The watered down version of the Spurrier offense, aka "the Manziel and Gun". In between plays they'll send a runner on the field to give Mayfield a shot of scotch before he takes a snap from the shotgun, runs around in circles with no pass rush in his face, then launches an out that smashes a cheerleader in the face. All the while the sage wise ones shake their head in resigned knowingness.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It will still require a major adjustment. Marcus Mariota for example, it took him a few years, he actually is still struggling with it. Defenses knew under center, they will run the ball. Shotgun, more than likely a pass. Pistol same thing.

So you have to wonder at the next level, how limited will the offense be, how obvious in terms of playcall? Watson while we make that comparison, had 2 excellent weapons on the outside. You can't lose if you throw to Hopkins.

20. GasedAndConfused

if that was the case why bring back mccown at 10mil and sign teddy b? the moves dictate it's most likely our rookie QB never sees the field, however if there is a meaningless game to be played late in the season I could see it as possible in the way mahomes played week 17 for the chiefs