Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

If we draft Mayfield, we should bring in Johnny Football to back him up. Then we can run two QB sets where they run around like one of those crazy Japanese game shows to confuse our opponents. Go Jets!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

stinkyB and xxedge72x like this.
  2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

NFL defenses are overwhelmingly faster and more agile than college defenses, meaning open windows are much more available on the college level than the NFL. It is why the concept is spreading like fire on the collegiate level.

In the NFL, the air raid requires more precise passing and route running... near perfect execution essentially, as NFL teams are well equipped to deal with the concepts in the system.

Morton wasn't running a full air raid, but adapting some of the concepts utilized in the system that are more feasible on the pro level. To a large extent, this worked well for the underdog Jets last year.

My gut says Bowles is not a believer in this style of offense based on his coaching background, and that is what caused the divorce. I don't know this for sure, but that's what I believe.

3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Not to mention Morton came out after the Broncos game and essentially admitted to giving up.

ColoradoContrails and xxedge72x like this.
  4. xxedge72x

Yeah, that was definitely, a poor, loser looking incident. It fit with the narrative about the Jets that haters love to spread.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

well that sucks...

6. xxedge72x

Baldinger on Mayfields processing speed:

7. xxedge72x

Walt White and Noam like this.
  8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

9. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Baker liked this tweet ;)

NCJetsfan and xxedge72x like this.
  10. xxedge72x

The articles discussing AIG make it sound like the results are not disclosed publicly, and the suggestion that Mayfield is the 2nd highest scorer is an unconfirmed leak rather than known fact.

The league is always evolving. As much as people want to gravitate to certain characteristics such as height or coming out of a spread offense to apply an instant disqualification, what really matters is the individual and the work they put in. Characteristics and heart/desire are mutually exclusive and we're only able as fans to measure half of that equation with any degree of success.

11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Right. I kinda like Jackson, similarly to Baker, and would be interested.

Mayfield adapting is the crux of this to me. It's what winners do. He appears to have traits of guys like that to me. I'd love to see that SI interview when it comes out.
    I'm not gonna hold him to stereotypes of the past when O's are changing across organized football to allow guys to succeed. Running the ball well matters for every QB tho whoever it is and that would be key for him as well.

#1531 Walt White, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Am I seeing things or is there is a global shift in America and on TGG for Baker M love?

Two teams ahead of us are prob feeling it too...cripes

Noam likes this.
  13. xxedge72x

Lincoln Riley has talked at length about Mayfield's responsibilities on the field, and there is an abundance of evidence on video of Mayfield's ability to sense pressure (rather than the ghosts certain QBs feel that get them in trouble) and keep his eyes downfield while maneuvering out of trouble. I have a high degree of confidence he possesses a high level of football intelligence that will make adaptation likely for him.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Mayfield: "I think I hate losing more than I love winning"

15. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I was thinking could Cleveland shock us and pick him 1st? They're sort of swaying to Allen at this point. They've got Tyrod Taylor there who's a competent starter and it would give Allen the 2 years he needs to get his act together for the NFL. I feel Mayfield and Rosen have made it known they are not really interested in Cleveland

I would be majorly pissed if the Giants took him. Eli's sticking around for...maybe 2 more years. I don't see Mayfield sitting on the bench for 2 years and the lordly Giants and their fans don't like threats to Eli.

With Cleveland Mayfield could step in and start week 1. Same with us. We also have McCown as the fiery elder statesman Texan who could be a good mentor to Mayfield.

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

noway mayfield starts as a rookie for any team. not even the bills. the only QB from this class that will start as a rookie is rosen

FJF likes this.
  17. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Maybe Mayfield doesn't start right off the bat, but he's not going to sit a while either. If we draft him he'll probably be in there by weel 8 at the latest

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I say he sits a full year regardless where he goes. maybe gets a meaningless week 17 game like mahomes did.

19. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Ideally yeah. But if she shows out in camp and looks rdy like Wilson for example you let him rip at some point this season imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

One can only wonder if after 77 pages on this topic , maybe, just maybe, Cimini was once again wrong with this bit of information. Now everyone is salivating about the Baker.