What if Darnold is there at 3?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PennyandtheJets, Apr 18, 2018.

?

With the 3rd pick in the NFL Draft, the New York Jets select...Sam Darnold, QB, USC

1. Great pick, we have our FQB!

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. I like it, but I am skeptical.

20 vote(s)
    30.3%
  3. This pick looks good on paper, but will prove to be a mistake.

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

We have all invested so much time talking about Allen, Rosen, and Mayfield. There have been some intense debates and a ton of work done by posters to dissect their film. As we get closer to the day, there is an outside chance that Darnold falls into the lap of the Jets at 3. The most likely scenario for this to happen would be Allen to the Browns at 1 and Barkley to the Giants at 2.

This thread isn't about whether or not if this will happen. My question to all the great posters on this forum is, IF Darnold is there for the Jets to take at 3 and they take him...are you ecstatic or are you concerned? As far as I know, he is the one QB we have not taken the time to analyze and perhaps we should so we know what we are getting into.

Me personally, I would be concerned. Lack of college starts and turnovers make me think of our last 1st round qb.

So make your case. How do you feel with Darnold at 3?

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Still prefer Mayfield, as Darnold has things that need to be worked out that will result in a slower transition. I believe in Darnold's talent, but he has traits we're familiar with as Jets fans, namely turnovers, and unless he solves that problem, will be a slow process of waiting for him to reach an acceptable level.

I'm waffling between whether I prefer Darnold or Rosen after Mayfield. There has been many high quality cases made in favor of Rosen that have swayed my point of view on him. He also has a turnover problem, but it is less pronounced than Darnold. On the flip side, Darnold doesn't seem to have the concerns about durability that Rosen has, and potentially attitude as well.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I like Rosen regardless of who is on the board.

Cidusii, Aero, almbleamal and 7 others like this.
  4. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

So torn. I think since I always thought Darnold would go first I believe in Rosen and Mayfield. Turnovers scare me with him. The other two have cons but I think they outweigh Darnold's cons (except for Rosen's concussions and injuries). At this point I think I go Mayfield, Rosen, and Darnold. I can switch based on what I read. Tomorrow I'll hear someone say Darnold is better or read something and change. But I think I am Mayfield, Rosen, then Darnold. Wouldn't be upset though with any of the three.

NCJetsfan, Poeman and PennyandtheJets like this.
  5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Rosen is still my #1 and Mayfield my #2. I'd pick both over Darnold. He's got a high ceiling but I feel he will be one of those high turnover QBs. While the pick would seem like the right move, I feel it has a high chance of busting out.

6. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

if darnold is there at 3 Mac is a genious lol simple as that

AlexJETS and GasedAndConfused like this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd pick Rosen and wouldn't think twice about it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Was high on the Darnold bandwagon Fall of 2017..Thought he would be a cant miss prospect..

Then after reviewing film,articles, comments and most importantly the game against OSU (a very high level defense where he threw turnovers) I QUICKLY changed my mind for Ros/Mayfld

Then after more comparisons..my GUT started saying loud and clear "draft B Mayfield!"

Even at the three spot we dont have complete control over this outcome..a few possibilities could emerge with either 3 being available, so if it came down to SD or Josh R I will go with the Glass Cannon (Rosen)

Interesting take that 70 per cent of posters are either skeptical or this is a mistake for a Darnold selection...wow have things changed around here!

9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

if Darnold is there at 3 and we have a choice of Darnold Rosen Mayfield I'll be pretty ecstatic.

10. shasta01

shasta01 Active Member

This is baffling to me, there is simply no plain of existence were Mayfield is even in the same conversation as a prospect as Darnold. Competition, physical skills, complexity of system, break it down any way you want, Mayfield shouldn't even be a first round pick, much less be compared to Darnold. Mark my words, no QB taken in the first round of this draft will disappoint more that Mayfield.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

No need. If you knew me you'd know I've done my homework. You are entitled to your opinion, shallow as it may be.

12. JetLife5

JetLife5 Member

If Rosen is still there at the same time as Darnold, it's a no brainer to me - Rosen 100 times out of 100 over Darnold (for me personally)

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If Darnold is there at #3, you take your draft card and run it up to Goodell as fast as possible. I don't see how it could happen though. Even if the Browns somehow take Allen, the Giants surely would then select Darnold, right?

I am a big Rosen fan, but Darnold is better. The thing I like about Darnold over Rosen is his ability to escape the pocket and make plays. That will come in handy in the NFL. Clearly better than Mayfield and Allen too. Truly no need to discuss this as fans because either he doesn't drop to the Jets, which is likely, or he does drop to the Jets and they draft him instantly. These are the Jets though, so we never know!

14. shasta01

shasta01 Active Member

Sorry but there are no magic books that show Mayfield has better physical skills, faced better competition, has better leadership skills, played better in big situations, or generally did anything at all on the level that Darnold did. There is no amount of homework that you could do to prove something that isn't there, and dind't happen. I think a lot of Jet fans have been hypnotized into believing the fantasy that Mayfield is going to be great, just because he's most likely going to be the QB available to them at 3 after Darnold and Rosen are taken.

15. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

My first choice is Mayfield. I won't be upset if we land Rosen. Outside of that, I don't think anything really changes and I am indifferent.

16. seanofthedead

seanofthedead Well-Known Member

I'm getting that Deja Vu feeling all over again.

I know it has no bearing on anything and the two are independent of one another, but after seeing what happened last time we moved up in the draft to draft a Trojan QB I am terrified of the thought of drafting another USC Quarterback.
    Some of their issues coming into the draft are eerily similar and we all know how the Sanchize experiment ended up...........

Darnold obviously has the gifts but I just don't think Mac & Bowels have the right tools on the staff (or time for that matter) to help him develop and progress into a great QB for this franchise.
    If we had the luxury that some teams have of being able to have the new QB sit and learn behind a veteran a year or two to help them get acclimated I'd be all for taking him at 3 but I could see Darnold ending up in a similar position to Petty and Hack as far as not getting the "coaching" needed to succeed in the NFL. The Jets just don't have the time for that.............

I'll root for whichever QB the brass goes with but right now I have my dream picks as 1) Rosen 2a) Mayfield 2b) Darnold

Just my 2 cents..............

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

How did competition, physical skills and complexity of system work for Mark Sanchez?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Was thinking the same thing. The 13 INTs are a problem? Really, 13. Fumbles trying to make plays while running don't bother me and can be coached out of any QB. Hes clearly on a higher level than Mayfield.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Draft the beast!

The Dark Knight likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner