Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I am still on Page 64 and just saw this message. Kurt you can’t go. You are one of the building blocks of this board. Posters like you made me to sign up to this board. Please reconsider your decision.

NYJetsO12 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it was desperation but as they say desperate times call for desperate measures. it worked well for philly a few years ago even if he didn't play in the SB for them

3. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I think a big part of the trade up is that we did it to prevent the bills from getting ahead of us, not because we didn't think a qb would fall. Browns are staying at 1, Gettleman has never traded down. Jets now ensure that 3 qbs or more aren't taken before their pick by moving up. If giants pass on a qb or trade, we still did the right thing. I don't think it was with a particular player in mind so don't think about it as moving up for Mayfield or whoever we draft.

NYJetsO12 and PennyandtheJets like this.
  4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

That and there are 3 QBs they valued as FQBs and that they would be happy picking at 3. They might have a desire for a certain QB in Mayfield or Rosen or value one or two ahead of the others but to trade to three they have to be happy with at least 3 and value at least 3 as potential FQBs.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I was hem hawing about Mayfield all offseason but I just got the chance to hear some of the stuff that DICKHEAD Colin Cowherd has said about him and now I really hope he's the pick.

1) Cowherd doesn't know football from his ass. So him ripping into Mayfield like that shows me that Mayfield is probably going to be good
    2) It would be great to be able to root for Mayfield as a big F-U to Cowherd anyway.

PJ4Ever, NY Jets68, NYJetsO12 and 5 others like this.
  6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Mayfield or any draft pick should pay Cowherd to say bad things about him. There is no better advertisement.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Cowherd 100% annoys the living hell out of me. He is like Bayless. Controversial to get more viewers/listeners.

8. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

aaaaaand Cimini has the jets selecting Baker Mayfield in his latest mock. lmao

him and Mehta do. After spending the last month or so giving us articles on why the jets WON'T take Baker.

Baker to the jets is picking up HEAVY momentum since he came and had that 3 hour dinner with bowles mac and Chris Johnson.

I think if no trades happen... or if the browns don't take him #1... he's our guy.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Russell Wilson interviews Baker Mayfield:

JohnnyJet1222 likes this.
  10. PennyandtheJets

The only way I think he doesn't end up a Jet is if Darnold falls to the Jets. I am personally not a fan of Darnold. I hope he goes to Cleveland and does is best Sanchez impersonation.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

#2 is actually a really good reason to draft him.

BrowningNagle and Noam like this.
  12. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I think darnold is ass lol. im with you on this

PennyandtheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. xxedge72x

14. xxedge72x

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Cowherd reminds me of Hobbes who used to post here and remarkeable in his ability to be wrong about everything he would post. But despite his track record he would be adamant making guarantees of success for Sanchez, Devin Smith, Mitt Romney and so on.. But Hobbes, I think actually believed what he said. I have a hard time believing that Cowherd really believes what he said on TV but agree with you it is likely just for ratings.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  16. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I'm starting to shift toward wanting to select Baker. He could absolutely thrive in NY. Rosen's background concerns me. Either way we will have a shot at one or two really good QB prospects.

xxedge72x, PennyandtheJets and Noam like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I remember last year, mid NFL season, there was some NFL analyst that caught me by surprise when he said that Baker Mayfield was running a very very similar offense in Okie as the New York Jets, so fans should look out for that pairing next year. Is that true?

I know we have a new OC but Bates' offense will probably be similar to last years. I know last year the offense had a lot of rollouts with McCown, and Mayfield appears to have rolled out a lot at Okie

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. xxedge72x

Don't expect it to be an exact match. Morton got fired because he was innovating by incorporating numerous air raid concepts into the offense. It's part of the reason McCown had such a good year (by Josh McCown standards, not NFL standards). The air raid is very QB friendly and Morton was using the concepts from the Air Raid that are more relevant on the NFL level. Reportedly, this rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, as it deemphasized the running game and caused conflict with the more old school personalities.

Bates has a history of running a west coast offense using concepts learned under Mike Shanahan and Jon Gruden. The Bates offense is predicated on a strong rushing game enabling play action passing. Bates heavily utilizes designed roll outs and multiple TE sets with the idea of spreading out the defense and maximizing opportunities for mismatches. The key skill sets required of the QB in Bates offense is accuracy and ability to read the field both inside and outside of the pocket to identify the mismatches made available by the coverage a defense is running. The QB operating the offense has to be mobile enough to operate in space and extend plays when necessary.

The offense this year will be more run heavy than what we witnessed under Morton last year. If McCown does end up the starter, expect his numbers to dive compared to last year, as he simply won't be airing it out like he did.

19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Idk why there’s so much resistance to adopting an air raid attack.

Decent quarterbacks average 7 yards per attempt.

Elite running backs average less than 5 yards per attempt.

I get that running the ball occasionally keeps the defense honest and prevents them from teeing off on your QB, but it also tires out pass rushers. Why does every team still run the ball 45-50% of the time? It’s antiquated.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. PennyandtheJets

Because the play-action pass will always be an effective way to attack a defense.