1 Scouts view of this class of QB's...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by abc, Apr 18, 2018.

1. abc

abc Well-Known Member

https://nypost.com/2018/04/17/one-draft-qb-spared-in-scouts-scathing-draft-take-cow-on-ice/

Just one QB spared in scout’s scathing draft take: ‘Cow on ice’
    By Paul Schwartz

April 17, 2018 | 3:33pm

Modal Trigger
    [​IMG]
    Josh Allen, Sam Darnold and Baker MayfieldGetty Images (3)
    MORE ON:
    NEW YORK GIANTS
    Ex-college mate: Odell Beckham not leaving Giants this season

Why Giants GM's preferred draft strategy isn't in play this time

Ex-Giants GM option hints he knows about No. 2 pick plans

Dez Bryant is envisioning his ideal Giants lineup
    Take this quarterback class, please.

Oh, there is no doubt come the night of April 26, they will come rolling off the board, early and often, with Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen hearing their names called out in the first handfuls of picks. The Browns will take one. So will the Jets. The Giants? Probably not. Perhaps the Broncos go quarterback at No. 5. The Bills are desperately trying to move up from No. 12 to get one of them.

Are all these guys worth the tumult and shouting? Are any of them?

“I wouldn’t give you a nickel for a couple of those quarterbacks that everybody is slobbering all over themselves about and could go in the top five,” Dan Shonka told The Post. “It makes me ill.’’

Shonka has been at this for a long while, as a former college head coach, scout for National Football Scouting, the Eagles, Redskins and Chiefs and currently as Ourlads’ Scouting Services general manager and national scout. He likes Mayfield best of all the quarterback prospects, followed by Rosen, Darnold, Mason Rudolph, Allen and Lamar Jackson, assigning first-round grades to all of them. It is not as if Shonka believes all these players will be busts, but, other than Mayfield and possibly Rosen, he does not see what all the fuss is about and certainly does not salivate over this class.

“Absolutely not,’’ Shonka said. “Quantity doesn’t make quality. So tired of hearing this is a great quarterback group, like this is the Class of ’83 or something.’’

Shonka thinks the Giants should take running back Saquon Barkley with the No. 2 pick, as Barkley is his highest-graded player, and could also see the logic in taking defensive end Bradley Chubb or even guard Quenton Nelson. The Jets at No. 3 getting Mayfield? Shonka is bullish on that.

“Anybody who doesn’t take Mayfield at the top is making a big mistake,’’ he said. “Mayfield is head and shoulders above any quarterback.’’

Next up on Shonka’s quarterback value board: Rosen.

“I like him a lot,’’ he said. “The ball comes out of his hand very explosively. He’s got a different personality, he’s a millennial kid, he wants to know why and Jim Mora at UCLA didn’t like that. I like smart guys and he’s an intelligent guy. The injuries do bother me. Concussions. If he gets dinged early in preseason he may be out for six, seven games. And he’s already had surgery on his right shoulder. But he is very accurate, he does make good decisions and he’s a taller guy, which some teams like. I like playmakers, and Mayfield makes more plays.’’

If every NFL general manager was polled, the majority would rate USC’s Darnold as the top quarterback in this class. To that, Shonka’s rebuttal is this: Have you watched him play?

“Darnold, he’s like a cow on ice,’’ Shonka said. “His footwork is all over the place. His feet in the pocket are embarrassing. When you turn the ball over [35 times] in 26 games, you’re intellectually dishonest when you’re talking about bringing in Sam Darnold as your next savior. This guy opens his hands over the ball, it just drops out when he’s in the pocket. If you look at his film, they talk about his accuracy. Actually it’s his receivers making great catches for him, laying out for the ball or going high. I’m not saying he’s never going to be a quarterback, but right now he’s a long way away.’’

As for Allen, Wyoming’s strapping, strong-armed quarterback, ask Shonka about him and duck for cover. He does not buy into him, at all.

“Zero,’’ Shonka said. “I saw Allen live this year at Iowa and he looks pretty. If you want a guy on the sidelines warming up, he looks pretty good. At the Senior Bowl, he did not have a good week in practice. He hit a few routes, but there’s nobody really covering. I think Josh Allen is like driving a covered wagon on the Autobahn. When he gets out there with all that speed and all the changing defenses, he can’t see it. He can’t process things fast enough. It doesn’t ever slow down for him. Everything’s so fast. He’s never thrown for a high percentage. If I hear one more time about Josh Allen’s strong arm — he can’t read defenses or make plays.”

The bottom line?

“Everybody pumping these guys up,” Shonka said, “hasn’t studied film or is looking at too many highlight films on YouTube.”

Harpua, Noam, NYJetsO12 and 1 other person like this.
  2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

So glad to hear an honest assessment of Allen. All arm no talent or brains.

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ahahahahah..Allen "like driving a covered wagon on the Autobahn"...looks like that pick is Kaput
    Darnold grazing on ice?? Not good

The Pattern is emerging guys: plenty of kudos, analytics Champ and NOW a an old war room veterans endorsement.......ITS BAKER ALL THE WAY

boozer32 likes this.
  4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Too bad you're not making the pick and all you have to do is look at the idiotic picks this GM has made to know he won't make the right one now when it counts the most.

CBG and boozer32 like this.
  5. SecretConnection

SecretConnection Active Member

How much did Mayfield and/or Rosen’s agent pay this guy to try to pump them up and put down Allen and Darnold.

Rockinz, joe and FJF like this.
  6. NYJetsO12

Yep he certainly has a BAD track record..BUT

Keep your chin up Don..Mac moved up to 3 which shows a lot of foresight imo..more than in recent years

Unless Macagnan doesn't know how to read or watch Television or listen to a high paid Scouting Dept..we are definitely screwed

OTOH I think (and hope) 2 QBs (Darnold Rosen) are off the Board ahead of us ..Mac won't be stupid enough to pick J Allen ..he wii pick Mayfield

7. NYJetsO12

Possibly..but the Buck Stops at the Film room

8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

One of the things we usually see is the media starts out with positions about QBs widely out of touch with NFL scouts. As we get closer to draft day they change their opinions to reflect more accurately the view of the scouts. This often has the appearance of making it appear that players are moving up or down boards when in most cases it is the media getting more accurate information and revising their previous inaccurate opinions. A guy like Allen with out of this world measureables and a rocket laser arm will be the kind of guy that will often be over valued by the media and whose stock might drop as we get closer to draft day as the media gets more accurate information on him. The opposite for Mayfield. I see another pro-Mayfield article where Heirbstreet came out and called him the best QB in the class. http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2018/04/nfl_draft_2018_baker_mayfield_is_top_qb_plays_like.html
    There seems to be a strong movement towards Mayfield by the media.

In regards to the above article. A couple of important points. He sees what many of us see that this class has flaws and there are only two top candidates that have separated themselves in Mayfield and Rosen.

#8 Noam, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  9. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Just another guy looking to promote his website.

BleedingGreen55, joe and FJF like this.
  10. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

i don't see any lies though!

nothing about Sam Darnold's or Josh Allen's game film makes you say "THAT'S THE GUY WE NEED!"

11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Sits back in chair, opens packet of biscuits and can of coke and awaits the arrival of @SolidGoldBowles

:D

12. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Comparing Sam Darnold to a cow on ice is one of the most elegant, majestic, weirdly accurate analogies I’ve ever seen.

13. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Oh man, covered wagon on the Autobahn is a good one too. What is this guy doing scouting? He should be a poet

14. JohnnyJet1222

JohnnyJet1222 Active Member

Hopefully the Giants and Browns are not seeing these so we can get our guy.

ColoradoContrails, abc and Noam like this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Headline should read:
    Unemployed scout selling clicks makes extreme statements that no one will remember in a year

NYJ79, legler82, Rockinz and 5 others like this.
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Until you see a Cow on ice in a Chick Fil A or Geico commercial

FJF likes this.
  17. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It's too bad Shonka didn't consult you before making his opinions known.

MoWilkBeast, NCJetsfan and abc like this.
  18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If it is a tall cow with big hands, sign me up.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Oddly sounds like a geico ad haha