Unbiased Case for Saquon at 3

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

29 days 1 hr 45 min just sayin

playtowinthegame likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

At least there will be baseball as a distraction then. :)

ColoradoContrails and Ozymandias like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Thank God the Mets sent Tebow back to the minors or the back pages would be unreadable.

4. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I would be fine with the pick. He would have an immediate impact. If Josh stays healthy, that would be a SCARY offense in 2018.

5. CotcheryFan

I'm a Yankee fan, so I couldn't care less about that. I wonder how this team handles the higher expectations now. It was easy to fly under the radar before Judge had a rookie season for the ages and Severino became a top 3 Cy Young finisher. Add Stanton and the potential for two 50 HR hitters is there. :D

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

3 if Bird can get and stay healthy. There should be a lot more Yankee games on National TV so I'll get to see them now. Nice job putting "Murderer's Row" back together too. Should make the Yankees a good baseball TV watch. As we both know, TV baseball can get mighty boring sometimes.. The Mets are just an afterthought now.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

How could you guys forget about Gary Sanchez? :mad::mad::mad:

ColoradoContrails, Cman68 and FJF like this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Darnold and Rosen are my top 2. There's nothing particularly notable about that, they're many people's 1-2.

In terms of contributing right off the bat I think Rosen is the guy most likely to come in and have a good to great rookie year.

In terms of long-term value I think Darnold is probably the guy most likely to accrue the most value in his career. He's the youngest of the big 4 QB's and he probably will not get onto the field as fast as some so he will have some time to acclimate to the NFL.

After those 2 I have no idea where to rank the next 3 or 4 guys in terms of potential. I think Allen, Jackson and Mayfield all have the potential to be very good. I think Mayfield and Jackson have a better chance to be good next year than Allen. That's because I could see both of those guys sliding into a rookie bubble and helping their team in that situation.

Allen was effectively in a Junior bubble last year at Wyoming. He played 11 games and attempted 270 passes. Darnold, Jackson, Mayfield and Rosen all attempted significantly more passes per game than Allen did. Allen did have 92 rushes in addition to the passes but this high number of rushes gained only 2.2 yards per attempt.

It's hard to see where Allen is going to come in to the NFL, get 27 throws a game and make any kind of impact given that he didn't make a particularly strong impact at Wyoming last year when that was what they asked him to do.

With all the other QB's I see a fairly neutral effect in terms of where they wind up and how their career progresses. With Mayfield you can argue that he would be much better off with an organization that knows how to manage a talented undersized QB - like the Saints or the Seahawks - or with a very talented offensive coach/coordinator who has an idea for how best to develop him. Basically, Darnold, Jackson and Rosen can go just about anywhere and have a decent chance to develop into a very good player.

With Allen I feel like he has to go to a team where he could sit for a year or two and that he has to be very well supported when he gets on the field if he is to play at his full potential. The Packers, the Steelers, maybe the Broncos, maybe the Giants, maybe the Jaguars. Those are the teams with an incumbent QB who will keep Allen on the bench and allow him some development time. The Steelers and the Jaguars are stacked with offensive and defensive talent to support him.

Also with everybody after Darnold and Rosen I feel there is a fairly good chance that one of the next tier of prospects could ultimately be better than them. I'm not a big Mason Rudolph fan but I think he might be better than Allen, Jackson or Mayfield at the next level. There are other 3rd and 4th round prospects who might be better also, people like Chase Litton, Luke Falk and Mike White.

I'm guessing that Rosen drops to the Jets and that's who we take. It's possible somebody trades up to the 2 and takes Rosen in front of us. It's possible that the Jets won't take Rosen for non-talent reasons. I'm hoping we get him though if Darnold is off the board when we pick. If we have the choice of them I'm in a quandary and don't know who I'd rather have.

9. Seth

Seth Active Member

Lolz, no.

10. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Powell, Crowell and Rawls all 3 are the same back. Defenses will never see us coming!

CotcheryFan likes this.
  11. Ozymandias

I'm a big Barkley fan but it's looking incredibly unlikely we draft him.

We are going to take Rosen and if he's gone we'll reach for Allen or Mayfield.

We don't even have a pre-draft visit set up for him nor did we go to his Pro Day.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. CotcheryFan

He won't hit 50 HR and I doubt a healthy Bird would either. 35 from Sanchez will have to do. :)

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. Ozymandias

Could potentially get 200 HR's between Judge, Stanton, Didi and Sanchez

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. Seth

Seth Active Member

In no universe is Mayfield a reach and I'm more pro-Allen than most, so I won't tackle that one. Lol

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

If, and it's a HUGE IF, there was more certainty about Teddy's knee, I would have zero problem taking Barkley. But that's not the situation, so no real case be made to believe it should happen. Roll the dice with one of the 4 and pray the one that the Jets choose is closer to Manning than Leaf...

16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

First, you can't guarantee that Barkley will have a comparable carreer to any of those backs, let alone be one of the better of them as you stated. He had several games this year where he underwhelmed , against weak opponents.
    Second if he did turn out to be as good as you predict, why the hell would you have him return punts and kick offs? ( Both could soon be eliminated) , you say it frees up 1-2 roster spots, so who would return kicks when Barkley gets injured, and if he's your bell cow and return man , he will get injured or have his career cut short.
    What if the QB at 3 was equal to Brady, Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman, maybe even one of the better of that list.
    1 Super Bowl ring from your RB group,
    Vs 16 Rings from the QB group.
    RBs do not win championships.....

17. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

What you fail to mention, as great as those backs were, there is only one SB among them and they all had fairly lengthy careers. In short, the difference maker for teams to win championships is QB not RB. So for a team lacking a FQB to draft a RB in lieu of a QB is nothing short of criminal. Nevertheless, this draft does have a lot of talent at QB and it's not entirely clear which of them has the goods to be the savior of this franchise. Hence, if you could draft Barkley at the third spot and somehow move up to draft someone such as Jackson or Rudolph later in round 1 or early 2, I could be intrigued. Jackson, if nothing else, will be an exciting player to watch (after all, isn't sports entertainment?) and I think Rudolph is as good a prospect as any of them. I might sign up for that.

ColoradoContrails and Attackett like this.
  18. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I also would have been a stubborn ass and just stood pat and not traded up but I can't condemn the aggressive move to at least try to get a QB.

But just for arguments sake if we HAD to take a non- QB by law or something here wouldn't Bradley Chubb be a better move? Our 3 RBs are fairly decent right now and I feel like another one could be added with relative ease in the future. Big time pass rush guys like Chubb are a little harder come by though.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

no. chubb doens't fit the 3-4 scheme well which is also why i think the giants would favor barkely over chubb. barkely is also the best prospect in the draft.

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

ahahahahahah

No offense to any fans of his but taking Josh#2 takes us too Xmas ...for some people to the Ledge

21. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you follow recent drafts you know the Jets already are bound by law (of Jets Luck) to take a defensive player on the 6. Trading up to the 3 was one of the only ways to get out of the Bradley Chubb, the best defensive player in the draft, auto-pick when he dropped to us.