Allen Vs Mayfield at the 3 pick - what the film shows

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 26, 2018.

?

If Rosen and Darnold are gone, who would you pick with the 3rd pick?

1. Mayfield

63.2%
  2. Allen

36.8%
  1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

You literally said “you can pick the plays” verbatim lol

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

verbatim "it's not hand picked by me at all. give me a video, any video i'll do the same. you can pick the plays"

you took it out of context, i mean you can pick the plays by giving me a video and i'll do the analysis on all the throws in it. not to cherry pick the plays. the fact you could only find 1-2 good throws a game is pretty sad as a defense

3. Big Cat

I picked plays that I already had bookmarked because I won’t have time to do a full run through until tonight.

The point of the plays I picked was to see if you could be objective for a second and acknowledge that mayfield has some excellent plays and Allen has some bad plays. You don’t seem willing to concede anything.

4. GasedAndConfused

both QBs will have good and bad plays. same could be said of any NFL QB as well. I never said otherwise. I don't need handpicked plays, just pick a mayfield video and i'll do the same analysis

also FWIW if you actually read the OP, out of the 12 plays i did on mayfield i said 4 were really good throws so I don't get where you think i said mayfield never makes a good throw

5. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

We aren't cemented into anything. The Jets can choose a kicker if they wanted to. It doesn't have to be a QB just because we traded up.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I know the difference between a corner fade and seam route. But it's clear you don't because the Mayfield throw was a fade route, not a seam. See this analysis of the play from https://www.cover1.net/scouting-notes-qb-baker-mayfield-vs-utep/:
    • Command of the offense. Pre-snap, [Mayfield] sees the slot CB point out the tight end and the safety drop into the box, which appeared to show man coverage across the board and, more than likely, a single high look. Mayfield changes the play to a fade route from the slot tight end. Mayfield set the protection for the offensive line and running back and delivered from the 24-yard line, left hash to the slot tight end’s back shoulder five yards deep into the end zone for the touchdown. Very good touch and arc under the ball and ONLY his man was going to have a shot to catch it.
    Which is exactly what I was saying. So stop trying to act like you know more about football than the rest of us.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

4:20, awful deep ball attempt - wide open

5:05, another missed wide open receiver down the field

The deep ball just isn't there in terms of accuracy, but his decision making is very good in the video.

Ill have to take a look at the other ones.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  8. abc

abc Well-Known Member

You're WRONG... On ALL Accounts :/

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I've been saying for months that Allen is not as inaccurate and Mayfield as accurate as their CMP% would suggest. Do believe that to be true?

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Mayfield is accurate. Allen's college career is spotty at best. Here's the problem. Measurable's matter. Allen has No. 1 pick measurable's. Mayfield has 2nd to 3rd round measurable's based on his height alone. Allen has shown nothing at the college level that says he can play at a high level in the NFL. Mayfield has shown that he can dominate at the college level. Mayfield has also shown some real off the field issues and on field immaturity. He also played well below his average against both Clemson and Georgia, two teams that have competitive talent to OK and both were huge games.

We are picking 3 overall. That to me eliminates Mayfield. That doesn't eliminate Allen but you better know that Allen is a very big bust potential. It might work out but there is nothing in his college resume that can give any GM or fan any real look into his NFL future. A lot is going to come down to how intelligent he is and that's grades, wonderlic, interview and lots of work by our team.

That doesn't mean Mayfield won't be a top NFL QB. We know Drew Brees is great. I don't view him as anywhere near the body type of Russel Wilson. Wilson has a natural running backs lower body. Mayfield doesn't. He won't last in the NFL doing what Wilson does.

The same problem I have with comparing LJ to Vick. Look at tape of Vick. He has a running backs body from the waist down. LJ doesn't. LJ is a better passer than Vick but he may well not survive in the NFL if he doesn't stop running. I don't think he can stop running.

GasedAndConfused and Noam like this.
  11. Big Cat

Absolutely 100% true. I still believe Mayfield to be more accurate than Allen, but if the offenses were switched Mayfield isn’t completing 70% nor Allen 56%. Also, Mayfield has very good general accuracy but needs to work on his pinpoint precision (eg hitting the right shoulder and leading his guy upfield).

Allen is very impressive outside the numbers but it’s incredibly frustrating that he can’t consistently hit deep with his arm strength. If he had better touch on his deep ball, I would see him closer to being in the same light as Wentz and consider him over Mayfield.

12. HomeoftheJets

If you let Jackson run, he'll be terrific. Could easily win rookie of the year. But since he isn't built like Newton, he'll get hurt and that'll be it for elite Lamar Jackson. Instead he'll have to learn to play like an NFL QB, and we'll see if he can make the transition.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  13. Big Cat

Allen’s ceiling is obviously the highest in the draft which is why he’s coveted so highly. You can’t teach Mayfield to be 6’5” with the strongest arm to ever hit the combine, but perhaps Allen can get a better feel for the game.

Mayfield is just a better QB right now.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Newton can't even stay healthy and he's a beast compared to LJ.

15. GasedAndConfused

while true, there is no reasonable way the jets walk out of this draft without a QB in the 1st round. nobody trades 4 picks to move up and take a kicker. at some point you have to use reasonable deduction.
    no it wasn't a fade route. fade routes are run on the sidelines not in the middle of the field. that was a terrible analysis of the play. watch the TEs reaction he's watching the ball, see's it's underthrown, and then adjusts. that's not what you do on a fade route

this is a fade route by a TE

the ball is poorly thrown, but graham makes the play with his size, he gets to the spot, turns around and boxes out, and goes up high for the ball.

16. 101GangGreen101

Whats to say you make him run the same # of attempts? Don't compare him to Newton, they are completely different QBs. LJ is elusive, Cam has power. I don't think you will see nearly the amount of run attempts for Lamar at the next level. I also disagree with the underline. He knows how to play QB at the next level. He needs to improve his footwork. Jackson had more responsibility playing QB then Baker Mayfield.

Injury concerns are a wash IMO, Jackson never missed a snap, never got injured. Baker has 2 concussions, and people love his "Mobility"

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I agree Mayfield is more accurate but how wide is that gap? We've already established that it's NOT 14 CMP% points. Is the accuracy gap as wide as the gap in size, arm talent, athleticism and pro offense experience?

18. 101GangGreen101

Its picking and choosing battles. The Louisville offense; with the pro style had running plays for Lamar. Lamar, you should still encourage him to use his feet, but at the same time, you install the RPO to make him even more dangerous and have a linebacker to spy.

And lets not throw the RG3 comparisons out there, RG3 was a track athlete, Lamar is a football player that has been durable throughout his entire college career.

19. GasedAndConfused

ok guy, you've literally only posted about how great mayfield is with 1 sentence posts and nothing else on this forum. you don't even sound like a jet fan. you sound like mayfields agent

20. HomeoftheJets

I agree, Jackson won't run as much as he did in college. Unlike Newton, where the Panthers still let him run a lot. By playing like an NFL QB, I mean Jackson will have to succeed without running almost as often as he throws. I don't know if he'll be able to do that; when the defense is scared of you as a runner, it makes your whole job easier. I still like him though.

101GangGreen101 likes this.