Rumors about the third pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Mar 20, 2018.

1. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

First person I've heard say Allen isn't a project and not ready to start day 1.

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The Jets throughout history has been bad in the 2nd round. Its been Mark Gastineau, Wesley Walker and David Harris.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I guess the Heisman voters had blindfolds when they chose Mayfield.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

With the third overall pick the Jets select Scooter McGavin :Field Goal Post Installer Ohio State

boozer32 and PJ4Ever like this.
  5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Why not? They have been in the wilderness since they won SB3 & in case you are unsure that was 01/12/69. Come 01/13/19 it will be 50 years since the NYJs have been mishandled by the FO & HC hire of the owner :mad:

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree. QB is more important than RB. That in and of itself, is a reason to take the QB first and not Barkley. Factor in that there are a bunch of excellent RBs in the draft and the Browns could get one at the top of the 2nd round, and it makes it even dumber to take Barkley #1. In addition, factor in that they can take a stud pass rusher in Chubb at #4, and wind up with the QB of their choice, Chubb, and someone like Michel or Guice vs. Barkley, their 3rd or 4th choice of QB, and some other player at the top of the 2nd, and it's a no-brainer.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He's a clueless troll. Ignore him and maybe he'll go away.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s fair to say Mayfield doesn’t have impressive film but I do think it’s fair to wonder if that will translate to the NFL.

Hopefully Giants pass on a QB and Jets have the opportunity at Rosen. I think the majority of Jets fans will be happy with that outcome. This board will be unbearable if it’s Mayfield or Allen.

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

consistency in a system he'll never run in the NFL and that is knwon for making good stats in college. a system made to get better production out of so-so QBs. against poor defenses with wide open WRs and 1 read plays all the time. Throws that would have been picked in the NFL go dor 60 yard TDs. college stats are pretty meaningless as a gauge for NFL sucess

10. GasedAndConfused

I'd disagree with that. RB is an impact position. we seen young RBs carry their team to the playoffs and help so/so Qbs suceed. Hunt, founrette, zeke all done it recently. Not that brees needed help, but he sure got a lot further with kamara on the roster. The vikes made it far on defense and a run game, and despite brady playing lights out, he lost the SB to a back-up QB thanks to the help form the RBs

I understand QBs usually get taken ahead of where they rank due to supply and demand and the importance of the position

11. GasedAndConfused

So you didn't watch any I guess?

Becuase all the experts comparing him to manziel, and flutie, and coly mccoy don't exist? I already provided links proving that

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's irrelevant that he ran a different system in NCAA than he will in NFL. Every rookie QB will have to learn new system. When veteran NFL QBs switch teams, they learn new system too. What's relevant though is if they have learning capacity and how they perform in a system they end up in, given the cards they are dealt. Mayfield won the starting job twice for two different teams as a walk on, I really have no concerns there. Also, there were postings on other threads about stats adjusted for dropped balls, catchable balls, completion while pressured, on the run, etc, and still Mayfield is top even with these adjustments. Sure, you can say ignore all that NCAA performance and look at a highlight video and size and say Josh Allen is the next best thing since sliced bread. However, I just don't think this makes much sense to ignore the biggest body of work all these QBs have done thus far.

#252 Borat, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

there is an inherent difference in switching between "pro style" offenses and going from a "college style" offense to a "pro style offense" the numbers don't transfer over. very few colleges run a "pro style offense" but USC (darnold) and UCLA (rosen) do. That's a big reason why scouts like them, they come from a pro style offense.

never said that. I don't like allen either. I'm not a huge fan of rosen because of his attitude and injury history, but i believe he has top 5 talent. Him and darnold are the only 2 with top 5 talent at the QB position. the rest are late 1st rounders to early second rounders, who will be a drafted a bit earlier due to the position importance. Out of the other 3 in the top 5, personally i prefer jackson over allen and mayfield. jackson has his flaws too, but while working through them, he still poses the dual threat in a way we haven't seen since vick and his ability to extend plays and chuck it deep with little effort is impressive. very "rodgers-like" it can allow him to produce while learning the position in a way none of the other QBs can. if rosen or darnold isn't there at 3, i'd much rather trade back , get extra picks, and take jackson in the middle of the 1st over reaching for mayfield 3rd overall.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't like him and I have to say I am not impressed either. Never really was.

I encourage you to watch some tape of Jackson, he had more responsibility running his offense in comparison to Mayfield. Makes throws in tight windows, looks off receivers, goes through reads. Trading up to 3 for a Mayfield is a huge mistake, would've rather stood pat at 6 and took Jackson who has higher upside.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Look just because you don't agree with somebody it doesn't make you right or the other person wrong, just factor in the fact that even though you now have a huge bee in your bonnet about Barkley, he is way way way more talented than the next RB in the draft, he is everything and not a drug snorting alcohol fuelled arsehole into the bargain.

The way you keep laying it out somebody will pick up Barkley in the second round, you know because there is no point selecting him early as there are loads to be had. :)

Barkley will not get out of the top 5 whether you like it or not.

Anyway I don't see the sense in arguing about what the Browns may or may not do.

#255 K'OB, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I think he is the most ready beside Rosen. Has the least to learn. I guess I have a unique opinion of this class. Other than Rosen, they are all projects.

17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure he knows the Browns are taking Darnold and the Giants will take Rosen/Barkley and he gets his guy Josh Allen that he has coveted for 2 years now. We will see

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

you mean thats your guy lol

19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

NC

SolidGoldBowles is not a clueless troll. I kindly ask you not to belittle him like that. If you don't like him put him on ignore and move on.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Alright... you've said some outlandish things here... but TWO years? Who has been coveting Josh Allen for TWO years? Two years ago, Macc thought Hackenberg was his guy still. I know it's easy to confuse two tall, big bodied, strong armed, inaccurate QBs but come on guy...