Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Sounds like the Giants

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Giants trade JPP... Chubb all of a sudden in play at 2 for them.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Imagine Browns taking Allen at 1 and Giants taking Chubb at 2. Darnold has to be the top target Id give up next years first to swap with Cleveland if need be.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Why would they need to that in that scenario?

If the Giants are really going for Chubb (looks like it, but almost seems too obvious), if I'm the Browns, I'm seriously considering taking Barkley #1 as theyll have their #2 QB choice available at 4 (unless they truly feel one is head and shoulders above the rest or that the Giants may trade down)

5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

If the Giants take a position player and the Jets get Rosen it’s going to be such a fun night on here. Seems like a scenario everyone would be happy with.

6. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Would be nice to choose between Darnold and Rosen at 3 instead of Mayfield and Allen but odds are we'll be very lucky to get either.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'd be upset if we passed on Darnold to take Rosen. I think they both have very high ceilings, but Rosen's floor is lower. But if Darnold went #1, I'd be happy with Rosen.

Brook! and Big Cat like this.
  8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Anyone of the top 4 QBs can play right away. It will all depend on the system they are drafted into what they will be asked to do. I'd argue the complete opposite about Allen as it relates to his success with the Jets. Rosen aside, who IMO should be ready to run almost any NFL offense in very short order, Allen would be next one of the 4 that could step in a play early FOR THE JETS and find some relative success. This is assuming, of course, Bates would be running Shanahan's offense, which is heavy on the run and a passing game that incorporates traditional 3-5-7 step drops, lot's a play action, bootlegs, 1/2 rolls, rollouts and the like. All the things Allen excels at and has great familiarity with. Darnold and Mayfield spent the majority of the collegiate careers in shotgun, they will need a transition period to fully grasp all that NEW footwork and ball handling required. Mayfield more so than Darnold also has to start getting comfortable with huddling up his offense, communicating plays with a lot more verbiage to his offense, then getting them to the LOS "in time" for pre-snap reads. Let's not forget about protection calls and audibles at the LOS. Allen at the very least has had exposure to most of this. The main thing he'll have to worry about is the adjusting to the speed of the NFL; something they all have to deal with. Now if Bates is going to run an up-temp shotgun no huddle offense predicated on the short passing game where the ball has to get out quickly and accurately, then Mayfield and Darnold will be much more ready to play early for the Jets than Allen. But something tells me that will not be the case.

I get it many of you don't like Allen, he scares the beJesus out of you and/or in love with Mayfield but all you guys doing is lying to yourselves with the he is "a major project/not ready to play/not good fit" narrative. If Mac does pick Mayfield over Allen it will have less to do with that and probably more to do with fear of the "Hack"-lash from fans and/or he thinks Mayfield simply is or projects as a better QB.

Wah, Brook!, NCJetsfan and 1 other person like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good post.

Even though it seems I'm in love with Mayfield, I'm not. I just think he is the best fit for the Jets and has a LOT going for him. If Rosen didn't have the concussion/injury history, such a slim build, and be so relatively immobile, he would have been my first choice. Even so, some days he's still my #2 choice. If Darnold starts immediately, I think the fan base would quickly sour on him because at his Pro Day, he still looks like he's holding the ball too low and he will have the ball stripped a lot whether he's sacked or not. His accuracy, ball placement don't seem to me to be as good as Rosen's or Mayfield's, and with the hitch in his throwing motion, I could see the interceptions and knocked down passes pile up quickly. I can see the potential in Allen and even though he scares me, I would be excited and hopeful if the Jets do pick him. In fact, I would be excited and hopeful for any of the top 4 QBs.

Since Allen has played in an NFL-type offense, taken snaps under center, is used to huddling the players, the traditional drops, etc., I agree that he would be ready to start immediately on those factors, but what about his decision making/processing speed and accuracy. He could start, but if he's gonna really struggle with those 2 factors (and I think he would), then he could lose confidence quickly and be ruined. He could also take a pounding if the Jets' OL doesn't gel quickly.

Looking at it from a fan's perspective, while on one hand I would be happy to see the rookie start immediately as it would show that he's supposedly ready for the NFL and better than McCown, and that would be exciting, and it would also be nice to learn that Bowles doesn't always stick with the veteran, I would worry about the rookie's health. I'm not sure I want to put our prize FQB prospect out there behind the Jets' present OL and risk getting him killed. NFL Ds are a lot more complex than those any of these QBs saw in college, and most need to learn to spot blitzes. Whenever they start, they will be tested early and often by opposing DCs. I'd rather Teddy or McCown start for at least the first half of the 2018 season, and quite possibly the entire season, and let the rookie sit and learn.

I agree that Bates is more likely to go with what he knows and likes best (Shanahan's offense), but I hope that he will be flexible and adjust the offense he uses to the skills/talents of the QB the Jets draft rather than trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Rosen has the higher floor and the lower ceiling. Darnold has a lower floor, but higher ceiling.

11. 101GangGreen101

Its truly the best case scenario. Mac tried trading up for Goff years ago, it would feel good to get the rich version of Goff in Rosen.

Big Cat likes this.
  12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Can’t have injury concerns about Rosen without having those same injury concerns about Mayfield.

stinkyB likes this.
  13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The only way Allen has early success is if he's on the run after a breakdown in reads. This also perpetuates the stunt in any progress reading and adjusting to defenses.

#1253 GQMartin, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Walt White likes this.
  14. legler82

If you say so. IMO coaching more often than not is the main reason a rookie QB finds any relative success. If it's left solely on the lap of the rookie's ability, they more often than not will struggle; the best of them have. If you have a coaching staff that can cater game plans around what the he does well and simplify the scheme to his aptitude level, success is possible for most top rookie QBs unless they simply just suck. I have a feeling you just think Allen sucks, which is fine.

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I see your avatar is a pic of Stidham. Do you think he's better than the QB's in this year's draft?

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Rosen could be out of the league by the end of his rookie contract if he keeps getting concussed and decides it isn't worth playing anymore. Worst case for Darnold is he continues turning the ball over too much and becomes the next Jay Cutler.

17. 101GangGreen101

But he has to suffer another bad concussion in order to get there, that doesn't mean he isn't ready to play right away out of the gate, he definitely is. He's the most pro ready in the entire draft, so the floor is established. Concussions could prevent him from reaching his ceiling.

18. legler82

Not exactly, certainly not at the moment. He does have the best "combination" of physical tools and traits (i.e., arm strength, arm talent, size, mobility, footwork, accuracy...etc.) compared to the guys at the top of the class. If the intangibles continue to develop (i.e., poise, pocket awareness, leadership...etc.) with more games under his belt, he can be better than the guys in this group.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  19. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's the Jets, so I'm fully expecting something ridiculous like passing on Rosen if available. Then there will be riots on here :p

20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Didn't Mayfield have 2 concussions within a 3 game period? Injury is always a concern with ANY player.