Anyone Besides Darnold/Rosen at 3...We Failed

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Mar 21, 2018.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

And that always has been and will be the case. No one is saying that any of the QBs are at the very top of their class without taking position into account. But lets not be naive, QB is by far the most important position in the NFL and if the 5th best player out of college is a QB and you need one he moves to the top of your draft board without any hesitation

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I call it desperation. It's a 3 QB draft, IMO Mayfield and Allen aren't in that 3.

3. LF911SC

Good for you, you see more than I do and more than any analyst.

Google and QB and you'll find a video that makes any QB look like Unitas or Geno Smith, take your pick.

You keep doing exactly what I say Mayfield fanboys are doing and then try to put it on me? Ive been clear as it can be. I favor Allen as the 3rd QB. But I see the negatives and they have to improve, nothing is guaranteed. I also have been clear that if they go Mayfield with that choice I'd understand it. You guys dont get that and cant say the same, its a pissing contest that wont stop. Youre arguing with the wrong person, I get it and am not that pig headed to not see the big picture.

4. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Allen is in a one read system at Wyoming, he typically reads the safety and does his business. I use "pro style" lightly when talking about their offense, because it's really simplified.

The spread that Lincoln Riley at runs at Oklahoma isn't the same spread system that Art Briles ran in Baylor, the QB has more responsibilities pre/post snap.

Trust me I know my offenses. Wanna talk some Lonesome Polecat?

NCJetsfan and Walt White like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is one big defensive ball of fluff. I'm not saying anything about Allen that a bajillion other analysts are saying or that you can't see on film. I'm not telling you you're wrong about Mayfield. I'm not pretending I know more about Allen. So this is a classic strawman situation.

I'm not arguing with anyone, and up until this post I would have agreed that you are not pig-headed.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

That's really the trick about drafting in a nutshell. Is need clouding your thinking? If you compare Mayfield to Wilson great pick in the third round same is true if you think he's Drew Brees, 2nd round. If you're wrong which the odds are you are wrong it hurts but doesn't kill you. Is Allen the next Favre okay go for it in the 2nd round. That's where Favre went. Don't make either one of these guys Andrew Luck, they aren't.

If Barkley gives you 2,000 all purpose yards for several years that's a grand slam home run. If Mayfield turns into Brees or Allen into Favre eat your heart out. Teddy Bridgewater with Barkley could be a devastating tandem for a long time. Bridgewater with another year to get healthy might be as good as either Mayfield or Allen, maybe better.

This is a tough spot but I think the argument for Rosen or Darnold is basically correct. Mayfield and Allen are a reach at 3. It could work out but it's still a reach.

7. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Agree with 3 being Darnold or Rosen. After moving up, they have to be hoping for one of these guys.

8. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

In response to those that think I am speaking from just an emotional or irrational perspective:

Just want to clarify, don't think I did in initial post, that I do not believe that Allen is some Hack clone. I don't believe this to be the case. What I am saying is that they present the same risk as a prospect coming out of college....outstanding physical ability with incredible raw attributes to develop, additionally have had spotty college production with known accuracy flaws resulting from poor habits in their mechanics. Gm's and coaches take a bet that these flaws can be fixed.

What I am saying is that number 3 overall is not the place to take that much of a gamble, not to mention the draft capital we gave up to get the number 3.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  9. LF911SC

Whatever, you're all over the map on this one. Again, youre arguing with the wrong person, Im not the one making blanket statements and predictions.

10. BroadwayAaron

How am I all over the map? I mean, I think if you've been posting here the last few months you'd see the straight line path I've been on, for better or worse. Strawman after strawman. I don't know why you're trying to make it an argument because it isn't one. You lik eone guy more than I do, I like one guy more than you do.

11. LF911SC

Agreed, it really is a crapshoot on some level. And I'm with you, would love for the draft to fall where we get a Darnold or Rosen. My take all along is there is a drop off after those two and the chances for someone else to work out drop

12. LF911SC

I've how many times that youre arguing with the wrong guy, I see the reasons to draft either Allen or Mayfield but you keep telling me I'm arguing. Not getting your reasoning here.

13. BroadwayAaron

YOU'RE the one that keeps repeating "you're arguing with the wrong guy". You wanna talk about all over the map? Jesus. I don't even know what you're getting after anymore other than trying to prove to the internet that I'm an asshole by bringing up things I never said or did. What a waste of time.

I'm well aware there are concerns with drafting Mayfield. I think the concerns surrounding Allen far outweigh those surrounding Mayfield. Simple as that. I've told you why and then you turned it into the classic 14-year-old high school boy argument of "OH WELL THEN I GUESS YOU'RE A GENIUS HUH" which of course, I never did.

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Exactly what I thought..no serious competion at college
    Wentz played in Fcs but Allen is really NO wentz

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. Just more evidence to show why Mayfield IS one of the best 2-3 QBs in this draft class. Every stat that comes out shows that Mayfield is either the best QB or second best QB in this class in terms of accuracy. His percentage of passes deemed catchable is head and shoulders above the rest. He has led the nation the last two seasons in QB rating and set a record. He has the best completion percentage in collegiate football history.

People who are saying that he is gonna be a bust or doesn't deserve to be picked #3 couldn't be more wrong.

16. NCJetsfan

Why/how do they know that Darnold won't play for them?

17. NCJetsfan

Mayfield is not a 2nd tier scrub. Wake up! One more concussion and Rosen's career could be over. Would you risk your career on him? Darnold could be another Geno in terms of turning the ball over and has the least starting experience of any of the 4.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Probably the best summary of the fan fear and reaction to QB drafting I have read to date. nicely done.

LF911SC likes this.
  19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Lauletta drove up his stock quite a bit by his Senior Bowl performance.
    I'd say he guaranteed himself a draft selection, where he may have been on the fringe prior.

Allen's performance was outstanding in the Senior Bowl.

You don't dismiss a senior bowl performance because it doesn't fit a narrative.
    That's what message board posters do, but not scouts and GMs.
    There is a huge difference between how this board views Allen, and how experts do, and I think it somehow boils down to Hack which is ridiculous.

LF911SC likes this.
  20. LF911SC

Not quite, what is interesting is how seeming unimportant it is. Not one big time QB on the list:

Rk Player Pct From To School
    Colt Brennan* 70.39 2005 2007 Hawaii
    2 Colt McCoy* 70.33 2006 2009 Texas
    3 Kellen Moore* 69.78 2008 2011 Boise State
    4 Graham Harrell* 69.77 2005 2008 Texas Tech
    5 Brandon Weeden* 69.54 2008 2011 Oklahoma State
    6 Case Keenum* 69.36 2007 2011 Houston
    7 Chase Holbrook 69.35 2006 2008 New Mexico State
    8 Seth Doege* 69.00 2009 2012 Texas Tech
    9 Johnny Manziel* 68.95 2012 2013 Texas A&M
    10 Brandon Doughty* 68.61 2011 2015 Western Kentucky
    11 Baker Mayfield* 68.54 2013 2017 Oklahoma