Stop with any Barkley talk

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Mar 19, 2018.

1. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

To get a player like Barkley, who's dream is to play for the Jets, I would do it, if Rosen or Darnold are taken :p

2. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

The conversation wasn't happening at #6 because we knew he'd be gone. BUT we traded away our second rounders through 2019 to move up three freaking spots, so now it is a conversation worth having.

No, I do not think it is smart to trade that much for a RB. But the trade itself was stupid. So now that we are at #3, if Barkley, is there, I think you HAVE to take him. Best player available for sure.

The 2018 Jets with McCown/Bridgewater at QB, Barkley/Crowell/Powell in the backfield and Anderson/Enunwa/Kearse at WR is a scary offense.

The 2018 Jets with Allen/Rosen/Mayfield at QB, Crowell/Powell/McGuire in the backfield and Anderson/Enunwa/Kearse at WR is less scary.

Ask yourself: Which is more likely to make the playoffs in 2018? Make a super bowl run?

It's the former. No ifs, ands, or butts about it.

I get the long-term talk, the need for a franchise QB, and all that...I would just prefer to make a run now. Barkley would help with that way more than a kid that won't see the field for at least a year.

tbruner12 likes this.
  3. BomberJet

Although I like the idea of Bridgewater/Barkley, I'm not sure the Jets offense would be any less scary with Rosen or Mayfield, (Allen would be riding the bench mostly in 2018) and with the trio of RBs.

#123 BomberJet, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

There's more than two 1st round FQB prospects, so it wouldn't be reaching for a QB as long as it's not Falk, Rudolph, Jackson, etc.....

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

You would need to be fired then. :p

6. Seth

Seth Active Member

This is a bad take, no offense. Moving up was 10000% the right move to land a franchise QB. This is a super deep RB class, you and you can get 75% of Barkley in rounds 3/4. It's going to be a QB.

7. BomberJet

ha ha, then afterwards I'll be tuning in to the Jet games to watch my 'mistakes' :D

8. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I agree that the Jets will pick a QB. I just don't like it. If I like it 3 years from now, great. But right now, not a fan of the move or the idea.

9. Seth

Seth Active Member

You're being far too short-sighted. This team isn't close to winning now.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  10. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

We would probably cut Powell in that scenario.

11. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO:rolleyes:

#131 SackExchange69, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  12. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Can we all agree if by some insane twist of fate we don't pick a QB at 3 (we all know its going to happen) that Barkley is the only possible alternative that won't result in more memorabilia burnings?

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

NO

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

If Darnold is off the board; then Barkley must be the draft selection come pick #3.

Stop saying he's "just a RB". Because he's not. He's an opposing nightmare for opposing defenses and when catching out of the backfield there isn't a single NFL LB who can keep up with his quickness and elusiveness. He's an instant 3 down back who can do it all; and on 3rd downs he's going to be an instant X-Factor.

There has not been a HB rated this highly in many, many, many years. Not Zeke. Not Fournette. Not Cook. Not Gurley. None of these HB's were considered as a #1 or #2 overall draft pick. Barkley on the other hand; is. If he's there at 3 then we draft him (if Darnold is off the board).

An instant Franchise-Culture changer from Day one is what this kid truly is. Will re-vamp an entire offense (instantly).

Which is the beauty of moving from 6 to 3. Guaranteed to get either of Darnold or the best player in ALL of college football; which is hands down Barkley. None would have been there at 6.

A "RB" being considered as a #1 overall or #2 draft pick? Enough said.

And then the next potential Franchise QB who hits the market as a FA or drafted 1st round WILL have Barkley as a running mater ala opening up the game for our next signal caller but Barkley is too GREAT to pass up if Darnold is off the board come pick 3.

Mayfield and Allen would have both been there at 6. But you don't take either at 3. And Rosen with multiple head concussion injuries with trauma to his brain? Hah. Funny. Yea, right. No thanks. You take the GUARANTTED super star and if Darnold goes #1? Then Barkley falls into our laps.

tbruner12 and James Hasty like this.
  15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I couldn't disagree more. Mac did not trade up to 3 to pick a RB. He knows that he needs to find a FQB or he's going to be fired. Would I like to have Saquon on my team? Hell yeah. But, good RB's can be found in the later rounds. FQB's are usually found in round 1.

16. Seth

Seth Active Member

Hell to the no still. And did you really think we moved up to 3 to take Darnold when we know he is going 1? Lol

It's going to be a QB.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Seahawks 1 SB win was the result of Lynch and a great D. They ranked 31st in passing attempts and 26th in passing yards.
    Jamal Lewis had a 2,000 yard year and a SB ring
    In spite of John Elway greatness he was near done and Davis carried the Broncos O to two SB wins
    The Giants won a SB when OJ Anderson stoped the clock against HOF QB Jim Kelly
    Walter Payton has a SB ring playing with an amazingly mediocre QB
    Marcus Allen SB MVP

The Jets won a SB when Winston Hill on the OL was the single best player on the field and dominated the Colts vaunted DL. We ran the ball down their throats.

We need to draft the right players to build a SB quality team. Dan Marino who is in the argument for greatest QB in NFL history doesn't have a SB ring.

We absolutely need a QB. You can't draft either Allen or Mayfield ahead of Chubb or Barkley.

18. Seth

Seth Active Member

Yes you do when you trade 3 2nds to move up. Stop being foolish and thinking old school. The NFL is all about the QB now.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The reality of the NFL is you need an elite QB to make multiple runs at a SB. The sad fact is in any particular year there are 8 to 12 of them on the planet and 32 teams. I suspect the model for SB teams in the future will not be built on desperation. We took a risk. If a franchise quality QB isn't available you don't reach for them regardless of when you went to school.

20. DefenseWinsChampionships

You think the Rams do as good as they did without Gurley? Insane.
    Or Dallas without Zeke? Funny.
    Or Jaguars without Fournette? Laughable.
    Steelers without Bell? Not a chance Big Ben or No Big Ben as of today.

Barkley is actually the best overall player within the ENTIRE draft. If Darnold is gone well then you TAKE Barkley who WOULD NOT have been there at 6. The BEST PLAYER in college football WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THERE AT 6. Therefore if Darnold is gone, you take Barkley at 6 without hesitation.