Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Think it may have something to do with having green WRs? That his completion perc went up and INT perc went down with time. He became more consistent? As for BM he is confident, he has nice numbers but he played under completely different circumstances. There are more questions surrounding his conversion to the NFL as opposed to Darnold. Its just the way it is as of today, he can change it, we'll see. Id take my chances with Darnold though

GasedAndConfused and SettlerDawg like this.
  2. LF911SC

Youre like when someone steps in shit and cant get it off their shoe. Go away, Im a moron but you keep talking to me. What does that make you?

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  3. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Makes me the asshole who's laughing at home because you're so upset. Night bro lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Can we all just agree Rosen is better than both and call it a day?

5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I'm down. But I'm afraid that's whole nother can of worms. Lotta people sound like they actually hate him lol.

#385 Walt White, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  6. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

For those who are down on Allen and high on Mayfield, watch some full game tape on youtube. I was actually iffy on both of them, but now that I've watched 4-5 full games for each of them, I'm convinced that Allen is a far superior prospect. Looking at the type of throws that Mayfield is asked to make, I think there's a good chance that Mayfield busts. It's all screen passes and short passes off play-action for Mayfield. He occasionally makes a deep throw, and when he does, his wide receiver is usually open by 5+ yards.

The other posters have highlighted the strengths of Allen, so I won't go much further into it, but basically Allen can make all the passes that Mayfield was asked to make. But Mayfield cannot make the NFL-quality passes that Allen was asked to make. Allen also competes like no other and has a very similar playstyle to Carson Wentz and Aaron Rodgers where he uses his mobility to extend plays. I don't think Allen gets past the Giants.

7. LF911SC

Agree 100%. Off of what is on tape, Mayfield wasnt asked to do anything near what any of the others did on a weekly basis. To try and convince people that Mayfield has the best arm talent is ridiculous. Love to know what told him that, all those screens and midlevel throws to wide open WRs? There are plenty of reasons to question Allan, just not as many as with Mayfield. Darnold and Rosen have even fewer issues

8. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. Mayfield is superior at using his eyes to manipulate the defense. I have been watching a lot of tape of him and this is something that I see consistently with him. He looks off defenders as good as anyone in this draft.

Mayfield is also quite accurate with his ball placement. I agree with you, a fair number of his passes are to wide open receivers, but when you dig into the film, you see plenty of throws into tight windows or with defenders tight on the receiver.

Mayfield is not a perfect prospect, but he is the one I believe can become a Franchise QB and a player that would fit the NYJ perfectly.

9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

There isn't a single throw I havent seen Mayfield make. He can put touch on the ball, he can gun it into rapidly closing windows. He throws a tight spiral. His deep balls are terrific and caught in stride. Nothing fluttering or floaty or something that has to be come back for or circled under. His release is extremely fast and generates a lot of power. But he still throws a catchable ball.

He is quick and shifty and difficult to bring down. He is powerfully built. I've seen him worm his way out of sacks and then fire short bullet throws on the run, across his body for big gains.

Those 70% completion percentages are no fluke. The guy is just naturally accurate(heck he started out as a 64% passer). He progressively improved over his college career and had 4 solid years of starting under his belt.

#389 forevercursed, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Noam, NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

It is what it is.
    Do they seem picture perfect to you?
    Did I bitch and moan about McCown last season, or the acquisition of Bridgewater this year?
    I take it you are all for taking one of these four.
    Which one? Why?
    What do you see them doing with the JETS 2-5 years from now?

11. tbruner12

Who is here to develope him?
    Himself? What about any of these QB's make anyone think they can be the answer to QB for the team for the next decade or more? They play QB so that is enough?
    We took a chance on McCown, and he played well but is up in age.
    Gambling on a college rookie is more stupid than gambling on a pro of 2 years in Bridgewater. Bridgewater has upside which is higher than any of the 4 QB's. But since we can't have a FQB without drafting one, the point is? So we can wait and develope him? Wow

12. tbruner12

You are obviously a fan of Mayfield.

13. tbruner12

FQB's named Manning get the treatment of being handed the keys and then being surrounded by talent.
    Which QB in this draft is Manning?
    All other FQB's that aren't obviously potential HOF QB's are integrated into teams that have everything around them, then they are handed the keys.
    There doesn't seem to be anything but QB's with question marks in this draft.
    Bridgewater and McCown will play QB because this class is over hyped and may never over come the individual problems they have.
    Wentz is better than any combo of any two in this year's draft.
    Maybe if one of these guys get lucky and get on a team that is stocked and then handed the keys one day, they might play ok. No big time players at QB in 2018 imho.
    Mayfield is equal to Mariota if he played here.
    Rosen is less than Goff if he played here.
    Allen looks like Hackenberg, a big project.
    Darnold looks like Nacho part 2, a turnover magnet. So was Farve, but no arm comparison or knack to make plays on his own.
    The QB's in this class may be after round 1, if they go to a team that can accommodate them. NY can't accommodate any rookie QB right now even if they do wait 2-3 years to play.

forevercursed likes this.
  14. forevercursed

I can't get past his weirdly narrow shoulders

Kidding. I like Rosen as a prospect too. The whole hateable stuff...I actually think at this level, the highest level of professional play it wont matter much if he's hated as long as his teammates believe in him and his abilites and his desire to win. They'll follow him and play for him and do their jobs

Walt White likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Did you want Kirk Cousins to come here?? Or maybe you believed like I did he was overrated and asking WAY Too much $...BUT he chose another Team and THIS team cannot place their FUTURE with Hobbling Around Bridgewater and Over The Hill Josh McCown...if we listen to you we will WAIT another 10 years for the PERFECT QB To draft!

Can we "accommodate a player?? " well of course not..we sux so bad with the present personnel that it earned a poor record and a top 10 pick..Can the Browns accommodate Darnold if he goes to them? Or NYG if they get Rosen..other than having OBJ ..their cupboard is bare as well

I think deep down inside you know you MIGHT BE WRONG about the 4QBs you critique..and becomes the next Drew Bree's or Rivers or Cousins or a Manning...the price to take that risk going to the 3 spot was NOT that bad

I am not altogether sure if the Colts had 100 per cent faith that Manning would become Manning but they still got him...stop waiting for a future miracle ..make do with what you CAN get

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I’m scared to death of Rosen. He’s not very mobile and suffered two concussions already. Given Mac’s complete unwillingness to invest in the offensive line it’s the perfect storm to draft a guy at three and watch him have a two season career

tbruner12 likes this.
  17. forevercursed

You cannot possibly believe this. This is just an asinine statement.

Face facts with Bridgewater. He's a 20 wonderlic with no arm talent dump off artist who had to be nursed in a dumbed down Vikings offense. And now he hasnt even played in two years

Baker Mayfield would beat out Bridgewater in a 1 on 1 QB competition blindfolded

#397 forevercursed, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  18. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

The NFL community clearly likes Allen infinitely more than they liked Hack. So when people compare Allen to Hack I find it facetious. Maybe he will not be great, but he does not enter the league with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Hack was David Carr Redux. Carr was a potential startuntil he got his bell rung 100 times. As for Mayfield's height? There are tall lineman in college too. And Ryan Fitz has been int he league forever. He is 6'2" and he throws SIDEARM. The height thing has not bothered Brees or Wilson, who are both known as smart, tough competitors. My pref is Darnoad because Rosens concussions and neck injuries scare the heck out of me.

19. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Yep. Rosen could be Ken O'Brien

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I agree with the notion that Teddy absolutely does NOT have the upside of the top 4 QBs but holy shit, who cares about the wonderlic in 2018?