Best of the rest 3-19-18. Free agents still available

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’ve been wondering this myself, I know he got a tender but no compensation if a team signs him. Unless the Jets know that Bears will match an offer they are willing to give him I can’t figure out why they’re wasting time with Pryor over this guy.

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Would be a great signing. Surprised the bears used the lowest tender on him, unless they are not confident in his knee.

3. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

FJF likes this.
  4. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Jay Bizniss, stinkyB and JetFanInPA like this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Losing Robinson AND Hurns?!?!

6. Jay Bizniss

Make the call Mikey Mac.

7. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Hurns or Meredith
    Cancel Pryor's visit.

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a WR like Allen Hurns brought in on a short-term deal. He would definitely be my preference over Pryor, but would accept the latter too. He had a nice performance in the AFCG this year.

I'm unsure about TE now. Who is better and not an older vet still available? Neal Sterling led Jets TEs in single-game receiving yards last year, so there's that...

Glad they brought back Xavier Cooper. I'd like to see Ealy back too; he can contribute at DE and OLB and should be cheap at this point. If they're not sold at what they have at the position, they should consider a younger free agent.

They should also resign David Bass. My preference is for a pass-rushing OLB in the draft, but picks are thin. Maybe they go there in the 3rd or 4th.

Otherwise, I'm not expecting too much from the rest of free agency.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Wrong. It was revealed last night or yesterday afternoon, that Buffalo was in serious discussions with McCown when the Jets called and finalized the deal.

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Also said they were interested in Sam Bradford. Maybe they were hedging their bets. But I bet they weren't going to pay him 10 million. They made out pretty good with McCarron.

11. boozer32

We will see Cursed but if McCown is starting for the Jets the whole season they might as well make their offseason travel arrangement. Glad you guys love 5 wins a year. Expecting a bum who's been a bum his whole career to be anything else but a bum is expecting a lot. Old marginal QB's don't get better with age.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

McCown wasn't the reason for the 5 wins last year. He was the least of our problems. He played some of the best football of his life. A lot of times he's been pretty bad, but last year you can't throw the W/L record at his feet

I don't want McCown starting most of the year last year. I'd like it to be Rosen, Mayfield, or Darnold.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  13. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Remains to be seen. McCarron will be 28 by the start of next season and has only thrown like 170 NFL passes in his life. There is very little on him. He's not exactly wowing people with his arm strength

14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

The Jets are clueless. One injured QB (25) gets 500 grand and some incentives.One injury prone QB (39) gets 10 million. If TB wins the job we have a 10 million dollare backup and a top 3 or top 2 QB behind them. And a coach who never wants to play young QBs. Please diagram this sentence.

boozer32 likes this.
  15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If we draft Rosen, all three QBs should be on IR by week 8.

Jay Bizniss and jdon like this.
  16. boozer32

QB's get the won/loss record hung on them always. No one says Jermaine Kearse won us 10 games last year. Him playing some of the best football is a stretch. 5 win Curse, F-I-V-E wins does not make a career. We should be expecting more.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can certainly understand why you think the Jets are clueless. They've given every indication over the last several years that they are indeed clueless. This year will be the determining factor. So far, I'm encouraged that they're not as clueless as they've seemed.

I think it was brilliant to add both Teddy and McCown, and to trade up. This team isn't ready to compete for the Lombardi Trophy, but they will have the best QB depth that they've had in a long time. McCown isn't very good, but he's solid, knows the offense and Bowles and his teammates trust and like him. That shouldn't be understimated. If Teddy isn't healthy or doesn't look good, the Jets can cut him and lose little. It's VERY LOW risk with the possibility of a VERY HIGH return! I think he will easily beat out McCown, or at least play better. Whether Bowles would opt to start Teddy over McCown is another matter.

It also has definitely seemed that Bowles prefers veterans over rookies. I have been one of the loudest complainers about that, but in an attempt to be fair, it could just be that Petty and Hack were that bad. If a rookie comes in and lights it up from day one, would Bowles start him? That remains to be seen. There seems to be an organizational (Mac and Bowles) philosophy that it's better to let the rookie sit and learn behind a vet. That's pretty traditional thinking. Normally, I would rail against that kind of thinking, but considering the Jets' OL, in this case I don't think that it's necessarily the worst decision that they could make. The OL could be better this season, and should be, but that might not be saying much. Would you want to see the rookie, our hope for the future start day one only to get seriously injured due to our poor OL? I sure wouldn't!!! I wouldn't want to see Teddy get injured immediately, either. I'd rather McCown starter for the first few games and let him take whatever pounding or beating the starting QB might take until the OL has a chance to gel. In addition, one has to consider that McCown already knows the offense, and both Teddy and the rookie have to learn our offense. I'm not sure if the offense Teddy started in at Minny was considered a WCO offense, but it doesn't sound like it. The rookie also has to adjust to the speed of the NFL, work on any fundamentals, and if it's Mayfield, learn to take snaps from under center and learn the WCO drops. Unless he is very rusty, I expect to see Teddy starting by midseason. The rookie could wind up sitting his rookie season, or they might play him some towards the end of the season to get his feet wet. Unless the Jets are competing for a playoff spot, Teddy is injured or the rookie just isn't ready, I see no reason to start McCown the last 6-8 games. The point could be made that even if the Jets are in contention for a playoff spot, they need to give both Teddy and the rookie some starts, but the fans would scream bloody murder if that happened. They'll also scream bloody murder if the rookie doesn't get any starts, so in some ways Mac and Bowles are in a no-win situation.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

adams, lee, and maye all started every game as a rookie. you don't play a younger player just because they are young. anderson earned plenty of playing time as an UDFA rookie and started over kerly in year 2.

FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  19. Jay Bizniss

QB is a completely different beast as a rookie than every other position.

20. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Looks like we've got 38.3 mil in space that does not include Ijalana - Copeland - Copper - Pierre Louis = apprx 30 mil total