Rumors about the third pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Mar 20, 2018.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

We have our 2019 first or can surely put a relative package together. We can surely package it. If the reports are true that we indeed love Lamar Jackson, we very well may in this scenario.

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Listen most years the idea of Barkley would be tantalizing, this year it’s not. Jets made this move to 3 for a QB, whether you like it or not that is what is happening. The Jets will be selecting a QB at 3, that is not a question anymore. Now the question shifts to which QB they select as that is still an unknown but it’s the only unknown.

ColoradoContrails, Jetaho and Peebag like this.
  3. TurkJetFan

Sure. It's not stupid in this scenario. If we indeed traded up to 3 a month before the draft knowing either the QB we want or Saquon will be there. To call this scenario stupid and asinine is being a hyperbolic fan at its finest.

I'd be far more concerned if what the other poster who is off his rocker said was true. Being we traded up to 3 in hopes one of the top 3 of the 4 QBs are on the board, meaning we just let our franchise QB be determined by two other teams. Trust me, if that is actually our plan, I am way more concerned that you would want to know.

tbruner12 likes this.
  4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I don't see a problem with Barkley at #3, as long as that's a fall-back option, and not the primary goal of the trade. Intent matters.
    For instance, if Mac is in love with two of the available QBs, but not with the other two, and those two get picked, then Barkley might be the best option on the table. Ex.: Mac loves Darnold and Mayfield, but thinks Allen is a bad fit and Rosen is too much of an injury risk--but he's not willing to pay the price required to move up to #1 or #2. Before he makes a trade to #3, he has to evaluate what his options are going to be if both the QBs he wants are gone--Barkley looks like a generational talent, and has the potential to completely change the offense.
    I'm okay with that. If Barkley is the consolation prize at #3, so be it. I'd probably rather have that than settle for the third best choice at QB, it depends entirely on how the Jets are grading each of the QBs, and there's no way to know that. However, trading those picks for Barkley is nowhere near as good of a deal as trading up for a FQB, so I would consider it the "floor" of what we can get.

dogg likes this.
  5. TwoHeadedMonster

And, of course, we'll never know that intent, even afterwards, because they'll claim whomever they pick to be the one they wanted all along.

tbruner12 likes this.
  6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Can you imagine the heat and ridicule Mac would take if he says yeah I traded up to 3 because I liked 2 QBs but when they both went in top 2 I took the consolation prize at 3? The only thing worse than that would be him saying he traded 3 2nd rd picks to take a RB.

He made this move because A. He knows the QB he wants will be available at 3 or B. He has high grades on at least 3 QBs.

Those are the only options.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Barkley at 3 is almost as silly as Jackson at 3. You don't trade up and give 3 second round picks for a RB. It's a QB and as much as I don't like Allen its for one of the top 4. Not for a RB and certainly not for Jackson. Such speculation is beyond lunacy.

8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

That's a lot of collateral at that point for a guy like Jackson and the cupboard starts to get a little bare. I think they would not have traded up in that kind of scenario. In the end Adrien Peterson never got Minny over the top. Just sayin'. Nobody really knows.

ColoradoContrails and stinkyB like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I find it incredible how you are being so ironic in your original reply to your steadfast belief you can disprove this possibility. You have no freaking clue. None of us do. It's all speculation. Mine is based in some general logic, yours is based on fan hyperbole. It's fine. In fact your notion that we traded up because we like 3 of the 4 and will just let other teams determine who our QB is, is probably the most ridiculous Madden-esque nonsense I've ever heard. Listen to yourself.

The scenario I posed is far more feasible than anything you have managed to utter thus far.[/QUOTE]

Dude, you wouldn't know logic if it slapped you in the face. There is nothing whatsoever logical about anything that you said. Your opinion is based on your fanboy love of Barkley.

Logic says that since Mac HAS to get a FQB prospect, that he traded up to take a QB because he didn't think he'd get one sitting at #6. In order for him to trade up to #3, he has to like at least 3 of the QBs, as both the Browns and Giants are likely to take a QB. If he only liked one QB, he would have traded up to #1 regardless of the cost so that he would be sure to get him. He talked to the Browns, but thought the cost was prohibitive, so settled for #3. He probably likes 1 or 2 of the QBs better than the other 2, but has to be willing to roll with his 3rd choice.

He can't afford to take a project QB or a RB. That's common sense and logic.

KurtTheJetsFan and Seth like this.
  10. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

I disagree on the reasoning that he looks more like a Marshall Faulk to our team, than either of the four QB's being a Manning type guy.
    To me he looks way more ready for NFL offense than those 4.
    But that's just me.
    I bet JETS brass have 2 and maybe just 1 guy on their list before Barkley.
    I mean if the sun would ever shine on a dogs ass for this team, we could get a Faulk in the first and a Montana in the 3rd. Its like lightening striking I know, but so would be drafting a college kid as the face of the franchise, with all the future problems this team faces now and in the near future, and him being Manning, Namath, or Brady, or even less than them for more than 5 years.

11. TwoHeadedMonster

Exactly, he can't say it, but it can happen anyway. My first choice would be that he pick the right QB. But I'd sure rather he picked a potentially great running back and took heat for it over taking the next Todd Blackledge just to cover his ass.

dogg likes this.
  12. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

A few things are safe to say:

You don’t trade (3 - 2nd rounders) up for anything other than qb.

Lamar Jackson is not being considered at 3.

Browns are taking Darnold.
    Giants will likely take Rosen (maybe Barkley)

The Jets moved up because they suspect there’s a good chance 2 qbs come off the board at 1-2... and if they waited until 6 then they might not have a chance for 1 of the top 3/4.

Bottom line is that we get 1 of these three guys -

1. Rosen
    2. Allen
    3. Mayfield

I personally hate Allen as a prospect (love Mayfield) but understand why others like him + Jets have been said to like him well before the combine.

13. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

Very good chance Allen goes #1 to the Browns. If that happens, we will grab either Rosen or Darnold depending on who the Giants like. Also, let's not rule out a Bills trade to #2. If that happens, I think they will grab Allen. He would be a great cold weather QB. I just don't see Rosen wanting to play for Cleveland or Siberia (Bills). He would fit in better in NYC.

14. TurkJetFan

Dude, you wouldn't know logic if it slapped you in the face. There is nothing whatsoever logical about anything that you said. Your opinion is based on your fanboy love of Barkley.

Logic says that since Mac HAS to get a FQB prospect, that he traded up to take a QB because he didn't think he'd get one sitting at #6. In order for him to trade up to #3, he has to like at least 3 of the QBs, as both the Browns and Giants are likely to take a QB. If he only liked one QB, he would have traded up to #1 regardless of the cost so that he would be sure to get him. He talked to the Browns, but thought the cost was prohibitive, so settled for #3. He probably likes 1 or 2 of the QBs better than the other 2, but has to be willing to roll with his 3rd choice.

He can't afford to take a project QB or a RB. That's common sense and logic.[/QUOTE]

Who said I have fanboy love of Barkley? Are you always this manic? Or is it just today? This is total common sense. Something you clearly lack.

15. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

I find it incredible how you are being so ironic in your original reply to your steadfast belief you can disprove this possibility. You have no freaking clue. None of us do. It's all speculation. Mine is based in some general logic, yours is based on fan hyperbole. It's fine. In fact your notion that we traded up because we like 3 of the 4 and will just let other teams determine who our QB is, is probably the most ridiculous Madden-esque nonsense I've ever heard. Listen to yourself.

The scenario I posed is far more feasible than anything you have managed to utter thus far.[/QUOTE]

Yes, we do have a clue because history and common sense have to come in to play. He will lose his job if he does that. Isn't that easy enough to understand. Your opinion is valid, just completely out of left field and any rational thinking GM would not entertain this thought.

16. Seth

Seth Active Member

I motion to ban anyone suggesting Saquon at 3. You're simply being stupid if you think we moved up for a RB.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Who said I have fanboy love of Barkley? Are you always this manic? Or is it just today? This is total common sense. Something you clearly lack.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, real common sense. You can't even figure out how to quote other posts properly. Have fun thinking you're right and the one with common sense. I'm done. I never meant to get into a thing with you, but you're just being ridiculous.

Seth likes this.
  18. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

The jets just signed a RB (Crowell) I believe because they knew they needed a good young runner and they were trading away the 3 2's so it had to happen in FA. Why draft another when you have so many other needs. They have many more ? Regarding QB than RB and both QBs are stopgaps and on 1yr contracts. It's pretty clear it's a QB they are looking for with #3.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The Jets moved up to 3 to take a QB.

NCJetsfan, KurtTheJetsFan and Seth like this.
  20. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Ding ding ding

NCJetsfan likes this.