Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

It definitely passes the eyeball test when I watch highlights of him. I remember hearing his arm is about average but when I actually watched him there wasnt a throw he couldnt make. And tight spirals into small rapidly closing windows too.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He more than passes the eyeball test. I don’t understand when people say he has bad mechanics or not a ton of arm strength. When you watch film or when you watch him throw at the combine he looks every bit an NFL quarterback except for his height. I’m willing to take the gamble because I think the reward far outweighs the risk.

3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

No you aren’t allowed to have a strong arm if you’re under 6’3” it’s impossible

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

There have been some issues raised with his footwork but to be honest it seems to have little to no impact on his accuracy. He is a very accurate passer despite these imperfections

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Everyone passes the eyeball test when you look at highlights

Ralebird likes this.
  6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Cosell spoke on that. He says Mayfield has "jumpy feet" (kind of how how Peyton Manning used to do it) and it seems to be just the nature of his energetic output while in the pocket. It doesn't appear to have any impact on his accuracy.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

This is a good point that I forgot about.

And that’s really what we are looking at with Mayfield the QB: imperfections. The only glaring issue is height and there are proven cases of talent trumping physical limitations. I take a guy with that kind of accuracy and that kind of leadership potential despite some imperfections at 3 every day of the week. Especially over the 2-3 year project.

What about when you’re watching actual film breakdowns? Because he passes the eye test there too.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

He said highlights ... even so, film breakdown the majority is him throwing to wide open receivers. If the guy ain't wide open, he's throwing it out of bounds, running around or taking a sack. Not a chance, he was worth trading up to 3 for. I watched the Ohio State game, as well as the Texas game.

You will need to truly scheme him up for him to be successful. He MIGHT by a rats ass become Brees, but that depends on his work ethic. No, he doesn't fully pass the eye test.

9. BroadwayAaron

I'm only using a highlight video because it illustrates my points, not as a "see he has no flaws!" mechanism:

-The very first throw he had to place perfectly. And he did. Receiver had to slow down a LITTLE but that's nitpicking.
    -The very next throw he puts the ball where only the receiver can get it with a defender blanketing him.
    -At the 1:45ish mark he puts a ball right in the receivers hands over a defender.
    -At the 2:35ish mark with pressure coming, he delivers a perfect ball on a slant route.
    -At the 3:05ish mark he makes a play using his feet then throws a beauty over a defender for a TD.

You get it by this point. The notion that he throws out of bounds unless a receiver is wide open is kinda foolish. There are criticisms of Mayfield without question but this was heavy exaggeration by you and it's just flat out wrong.

And do you REALLY need to truly scheme him up? Is taking a shotgun snap or running play action really that hard of a scheme to come up with? Because he's pretty damn good when he does those two things.The league as a whole already takes more shotgun snaps than they do from under center (58/42). Then you have some teams that run almost 75% of their plays from the shotgun set (Carolina, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philly, KC, Detroit and I'll assume Houston would have done the same had Watson stayed healthy, they were at 68% anyway). Do you have that little faith in Mayfield that you don't think he could run 30% of his plays from under center at some point in his career?

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This is totally anecdotal on my part... I've posted a lot of evidence showing that Mayfield is every bit the franchise QB, and to date I haven't received a response with legitimate evidence to the contrary. Every response I have received is the same talking points and spurious correlations that have been disproven time and time again.

Mayfield = Manziel: Wrong

Mayfield too short... Darrell Bevell doesn't seem to think so:
    https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/23/b...tudy-darrell-bevell-russell-wilson-comparison

Mayfield coming from spread / air raid resulting in inflated numbers: This is an old trope that is going away. Foles just led the Eagles to a SB victory and won MVP honors doing so. His competition in the NFC championship was Case Keenum who was also an air raid QB and put up even gaudier numbers than Mayfield did in college. In the AFC, Bortles didn't come out of the air raid, but he did come out of a spread offense. So 3 out of 4 championship game QBs have come from these systems... yet, they can't succeed? Yeaaaaaahhhh....

Ironically, most of these same people aren't even discussing one of the more legitimate criticisms of Mayfield: snaps under center. However, even when this IS brought up, it's used against Mayfield but is never discussed with Darnold:

On some level, I want to believe that at least some of these people are trolling. But, I don't know that, and will give the benefit of the doubt. If it isn't trolling, then it is a heavy dose of anchoring bias.

For instance, we saw with Mark Sanchez that having only one year as a starter made it more difficult for him to transition to the pros. Mayfield is the only one of the top four leaving the draft as a four year starter. Is this acknowledged? No. Instead, we get to hear about how wonderful Allen was during Senior Bowl practice. Wow, what a sample size. I'm sure statisticians everywhere are impressed.

I've seen Allen compared to Carson Wentz several times. This is another example of an anchoring bias, and is very similar to the Mayfield = Manziel comparison. People want to believe they are basically carbon copies because of some correlations: they are both big bodied QBs, they both came from small schools, they both ran pro style offenses. Carson Wentz, in these circumstances, has come into the NFL and been a smashing success so far, so Allen will too, right? Well, where Allen is a career 56.2% passer, Wentz left college with a 64.1% completion percentage. This is an ENORMOUS difference. Oh, and for the record, for all of the success Wentz has had with the Eagles so far and all the potential he is showing, his accuracy has actually dropped to 61.5% with the Eagles. Yet, we are supposed to believe Allen's percentage is due for a massive upwards correction? Based on what, exactly? Wentz came out of an FCS team that was arguably worse than Wyoming, so the surrounding talent argument really doesn't help Allen here. There are tons of examples, in every game basically, of Allen's poor mechanics, poor field vision, and poor judgment resulting in him depending too much on his arm strength, resulting in less than stellar accuracy and head scratching plays. It takes more than wow factor to be successful in the NFL and I have yet to see coherent evidence that exists with Allen.

In regards to Mayfield, he's the polar opposite of Allen. One of his greatest attributes is consistency. Four year starter, and he has gotten better every single year. He has never trended in any direction but up. He's always accurate, he's always steady, he makes far fewer poor decisions than any QB in this class, bar none, and he's one of the most efficient QBs in college history, including all of the other air raid and spread QBs. He's not just good, he's exceptional. He doesn't drop off under pressure, he's got high marks in every category imaginable, he's got tons of documented cases of making NFL quality throws and doing them extremely well, and he's done this all long enough that you can have confidence it isn't a fluke.

I've seen the argument made in Allen's defense that he had some new players this year and needed to adjust. Who is mentioning that despite losing Joe Mixon, DeDe Westbrook, Samaje Perine, and Jordan Evans, Mayfield STILL posted a better year than the year prior? In terms of this year's draft, the only other Oklahoma players projected to sniff day 1 or 2 are TE Mark Andrews and OT Orlando Brown (who is considered to have fallen possibly more than any prospect in this draft class).

I'm totally open to having my mind changed about Mayfield and Allen both, but have yet to see a real reason why in either case.

11. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

I can't see Maccagnan taking a QB like Mayfield and I tend to believe the rumors that they're more in on Rosen or Allen than the rumors that they're in on Mayfield. I just don't see it. Not to mention but if things to sour (losing) with Mayfield and his attitude, the tabloids will ruin this kids career in a New York minute.

12. BroadwayAaron

Couldn't agree any more. And ironically, if you had asked me in October what I thought about Mayfield as an NFL QB I would have laughed and said Manziel, just like everyone else who watched highlights and read headlines and never really took the time to watch him. But I watched almost every Oklahoma game (usually because they were awesome) and I started to fall for the guy hard. It's so crystal clear that Mayfield possesses every tool except height. He can make every throw, he's got the footwork, he's got the attitude, he's got the mechanics. But because he grabbed his junk, planted a fake flag, isn't 6'4" and runs a "non-pro" offense, he's Manziel.

I'm all in on Mayfield and I have no qualms about it.

ColoradoContrails, Noam and xxedge72x like this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

The bold, the DB should've deflected that one, should've put more power into that throw and threw him in stride. A DB at the next level is going to either pick that off or deflect it.

Yes, you will need to scheme him up by creating mismatches and quick reads. Similar to Andy Reid incorporating the spread into his philosophy. Add in some RPOs, no read options obviously, just ways to get the linebackers and safeties to bite. Anyway to create a 2 on 1 matchup on a side of a field. Mayfield goes through reads, but not complicated reads ala Rosen. Rosen is on another level.

Rosen, you can plug and play him in any system. Josh Allen, you could argue can do the same. Not worried about the snaps under center, I am worried about him making NFL throws on a consistent basis.

LF911SC and legler82 like this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

That's still nitpicking on the bolded play. You can't just assume every DB is going to pick that off. Point taken, but I'm hoping my point was also taken that he doesn't only throw to open receivers or throw it away.

You also just explained something perfectly reasonable and not all that uncommon in today's NFL. So again, why would this not work for Mayfield?

I think Rosen is the better QB so you won't find an argument from me. I'm fine with either, I just think Rosen will be gone so to me, Mayfield is the next best option by a country mile. Josh Allen I won't even touch because I think he's horrendous and needs a ton of work before we can consider him an NFL QB.

15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i hope Cleveland does. then it guarantees us darnold or rosen which are the only 2 QBs in this draft worthy of a top 5 pick

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

everyone is a keyboard turd. you and me included. all these "experts" are constantly wrong. if any of them actually knew there shit they'd be working in the NFL scouting players. It's all one giant guessing game.

Of course lamaar has shit to work on, that's why he's not a top 5 pick. but the same goes for every QB in this draft.

17. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I don't know any of the QB's. How many of you scouted all 4? Your just basing your opinion of Allen on what some Jet podcast people say and media types. I hope we pick Allen, he has the most upside and also would piss off most jet fans who probably never saw him play a full game. This stuff is nonsense.

18. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

you are a 100% right.
    I hope I don't come off as a know it all, because I know I don't have that insight. I do have strong opinions, and I love this team. You don't hear me saying shit like " if the Jets brass does this I'm out of here!", "if they don't do that, I'm watching the giants from now on." Blah, blah, blah

You are not a B.S. Machine like some on here. Some like to think that they are part of the NY football Jets organization. Some like to think their outlook and insight is professional.
    Mine is just like everybody else's, what knowledge I can gather, and what intuition I have from watching football in general.

I tried to end my previous comment in a way that would motivate you to give me your side of knowledge and intuition. I'm only speaking my opinion, and my opinion of the JETS getting Barkley is not a long shot.
    Bowles said they will be run oriented.
    Crowellwould be awesome to spell a number one back, but he isn't one.
    We have two QB's who can play right now, not 2-3 years from now.
    Bowles and Mac won't be fired over not going QB. I don't believe all of the ESPN and NFL Network hype.
    Each commentator says our team made the move to get a QB only.
    I don't believe so.
    If the top 2 are gone, or somehow Barkley is available, he is a JET in my opinion. He wants to play here, they want him here. Don't be suprized. That's all I'm trying to say.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter how strong it's coming out if its batted down at the line, just sayin'

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

There is definitely a part of me that feels the same way as you do

sec314 likes this.