Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Cleveland may jump at Allen at 1 and just let Tyrod run things for two years. Taylor is an acceptable QB.

Good point with Mahomes last year, and Mahomes is taller and has a better arm than Mayfield (though Mayfield has an underrated arm in his own right)

If it's the nightmare scenario and both Rosen and Darnold ar gone by 3 then I take Nelson or Chubb

2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I don't know about last year. Maybe he still had hope for Petty/Hack. Who the fuck knows tho? I've wanted them to draft several guys since 2011 when it was apparent that Sancho sucked. I wanted Carr too.

I think he wanted to trade up to #1 for Darnold.

I like Baker because he's tough, indomitable, and slick.. But I like Darnold because I think he's also tough. Maybe we'll glean more as the draft gets closer. But I believe that we could see Allen. I'm gonna hate it if the Giants get Darnold.
    If we miss and Mayfield becomes a success that will be my biggest disappointment.

#242 Walt White, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  3. forevercursed

It would shock me sadly if Darnold gets past the Giants. There have been some whispers that they're not enamored with any of the top QB's and would rather take 1 more shot with Manning (hoping he has two years left) but gun to my head they probably draft Darnold. Rosen is opinionated and the Giants are too buttoned up. That may scare them away

4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Well then Hopefully the Browns take Darnold and we take our chances

5. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Mayfield seems to me the most likely to flop in the NFL, unless he finds a team that will surround him with Aplus talent at every position on offense. He is a system QB, and a short athletic type build. He is going to constantly have to roll out to one side of the field, and his athleticism is going to be reduced by 75% due to the speed of the NFL game.
    I wouldn't draft this guy at all.

Allen is a project, period.
    His stats from his last college season should say everything. Mediocre stats, low completion %, at Wyoming.
    It isn't like he played for a bottom feeder in the SEC.

Rosen has medical issues written all over him. No way I'm giving a guy top 5 pick consideration that may not last thru his rookie contract.

Darnold loves to turn the ball over.
    Will probably always love turning the ball over, but more so in the NFL where the windows are a hell of a lot smaller and the split second decision making gets a lot shorter as well.
    He is a butt fumble away from being called Sam "Mark Sanchez" Darnold.

I hear all this talk pertaining to the JETS remaining in purgatory until they have a FQB.
    I've said it before, we will remain in purgatory until we have a GM, coaching staff, with an offensive and defensive plan in place, that can also help the players integrate in to the system. We do not have one condition on our roster that points to one of these QB's being a JET and leading our team to consistent winning.
    When Bowles, Kacy, and Jeremy are let go, what makes anyone think that the next coach will be a fan of Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, or Allen?

Our roster is also not ready to accommodate a rookie QB. Our line isn't one you want to put on the field infront of one not named Manning, Marino, Elway, or Montana.
    We don't have any playmakers on offense that other teams game plan for.
    If finding a FQB is hard, imagine how hard it's going to be to nurture him past year 5 on this team heading into the future.

The JETS would be further along in the rebuild, if they keep what QB's we have and go into next season with our #3 pick being Saquon Barkley. He will fit any offense. He will score his share of points no matter who the QB is. He will help any QB whether veteran or rookie.
    No matter who the next coach or coordinator is, he will be someone who opposing coaches must account for.
    We have a rookie O-Coordinator who's claim to fame was his affiliation to Jay Cutler having a good year.
    Not a good situation to put a QB out of this year's draft.
    We should take the best player in the draft at #3, and see what we have in Bates, Bridgewater, and McCown.
    When bates has a few more pieces on offense (O-line being very important), and things are going his way on that side of the ball, then he can have his rookie QB to label as Future of the Franchise.
    It's not done in the NFL like some want to do it. You don't base the franchise around a QB. It may end up that way, as we have seen with Tom Brady's career.
    The great teams and dynasties may have a FQB, but they didn't begin by selecting one in round 1 with all the issues that we have.
    Use the veterans we have at QB next year.
    Bridgewater may be the guy we have been looking for, who knows?
    He has a better chance for success here, than any 2 of the previously mentioned QB's in the 2018 draft.
    Surely our GM and staff know these things?
    Teams don't build dynasties in real life like Madden players do.
    The two most successful QB's in the history of the NFL, statistically speaking for their eras, and championship totals, we're not Top 5 first round picks. They were picked by teams who were built before their arrival to that team. Montana a 3rd, Brady a 6th. Both had great coaches who helped them learn and adapt to the pro game. Anointing a college kid as the future of your team, is a recipe for disaster.

By trading up to 3, the JETS did one of two things: they either get Barkley at 3 (the best football player in the draft), or they force Cleveland to grab Barkley at 1 while one of the top 2 QB's slide to us.
    Barkley may do for Bridgewater, what Gurley did for Goff, or what Elliott did for Prescott.
    The JETS and the realistic fan base, can only hope Barkley is there at 3.
    Grabbing one of these QB projects to go with our overall team project will be a 5 year suicide to the rebuild toward consistent winning seasons.
    Period.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is a really well-reasoned case for Barkley, and I love Barkley, BUT despite the logical points you make about building the team first and then getting your FQB, that's not what's going to happen.

And I agree that this team likely won't really improve, no matter who they have at QB, until Macc & Bowles are gone, and they get someone who knows how to build a winning team. Still, one can hope, and that's what we Jets fans are really good at. Macc & Bowles aren't going anywhere this year for sure, so we're stuck with their "plan" for now.

But let's say they take Barkley, there's no guarantee that there will be a better QB next year, or the next year, or even if there is, the Jets may be in a draft position where they can't draft that guy. Meanwhile Barkley is carrying the load and getting lots of wear and tear, and maybe even gets hurt, as his clock is rapidly winding down - because RBs have a much shorter shelf life than QBs - we're still without a QB.

OTOH, as good as Barkley is, you could find other RBs that could produce nearly the same results, and finding this RB is much easier than finding a FQB that fits your system.

Bottom line: though I'd love to have Barkley on the Jets, they need to strike now to get their FQB, and then address the other areas. I know you disagree, but that's how I see it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Once again you and I disagree, but it isn't like a couple others on this board. Usually we agree, but on this topic we don't, and I'm cool with it.
    I am gonna call it now, if we go QB at 3, he will play behind a cruddy line for a couple years atleast, won't have much help in playmakers, and will see a different head coach and maybe 2 offensive coordinators before his rookie contract expires, all while be coddled on the 2-3 year plan.
    I ask you, is that a wise investment for our rebuild and the price we paid in picks to move to 3? Barkley and a QB may have us attracting a good coach not named Bowles, or Bates.
    A FQB won't fix this team, if we drafted one in the top 5 every 3 years.
    I still respect your opinion, and I won't ever be a jerk because we do disagree. You also don't act like a jerk. We like the same team, we want the same thing. We just have different perspectives. Go JETS!!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I appreciate the civil discussion. I don't see the need to be an asshole, and I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong or don't know. It's not like any of us are getting paid here, so what if we're wrong sometimes? I like learning, and despite sometimes having to put up with snarky comments, this is a good place to do that.

Anyway, I do still think we should take our FQB if he's there, but I for one wouldn't cry if Macc grabbed Barkley for all the reasons you gave. But I really don't think he'll do that.

tbruner12 and GQMartin like this.
  9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

So Cimini says mac doesn't like Mayfield and Daniel Jeremiah says the Jets traded up to take him. Ahh, the pre-draft smoke.

NYJetsO12 and forevercursed like this.
  10. forevercursed

What Jeremiah is saying makes sense, though unlike Cimini he's not as close to the Jets and isn't getting this from an organizational leak...just his own ideas

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

When you say better, what do you mean? Mayfield had 60mph velocity to the right side. I believe Pat had 59mph.

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Great points and I brought up a similar point. Identifying a system QB is hard enough. Identifying a transcendental QB, one that can play in any system, is even more difficult.

To your point, this QB may need to adapt to many OCs and coaches.

I feel as though Rosen can be a transcendental player. He’s actively being compared to Matt Ryan.

Also, yes, you won’t be able to put Rosen behind this OL as it stands. The Jets will need to draft well and perhaps trade for an OL either in camp or during the season. Only then should Would I put Rosen under center.

NYJetsO12 and tbruner12 like this.
  13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I like our roster with the exception of OL and an edge rusher. But the OL really scares me. When I look at who on the line will still be on the team in 2019 I only see Long and possibly Shell. Beachum, Carpenter and Winters all look on their way out. Outside of Norwell and the Centers FA offered little for upgrade. One of the downsides of losing the three 2nd picks is the opportunity to upgrade the OL. I can see us using our 1st round pick next year on a tackle or edge rusher. I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel for improving our line.

14. NJJets20

NJJets20 Active Member

Has anyone considered that this could just be a big smoke screen from Mac? Maybe he actually prefers Mayfield out of the bunch, so he wants other teams sitting behind the jets who could potentially trade ahead of the jets to think that Mayfield will make it past the jets no matter what. This could be a tactic to stop a team like the Broncos or Bills from trading up to 2 and stealing Mayfield from the jets. I know Darnold and Rosen are generally considered the 1 and 2 QBs, but maybe the jets have really fallen for what Baker will bring to the table. It seems like the three QBs are all considered in the same pack ahead of Allen and Jackson.

NYJetsO12 and JetLifeLo like this.
  15. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

that would be a really bad look for Mac

16. forevercursed

I actually had no idea Mayfields velocity was that high. That's good to hear.

17. forevercursed

Just to clarify I would take Mayfield but I fear Mac would take one of those guys instead.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  18. forevercursed

If that's the case then the Jets need to keep lines of communication open with Cleveland and and NYG and tell them to call us if they start fielding offers for 1 or 2 from other teams so we can jump in and potentially beat those offers.

That or perhaps the Jets know for certain Cleveland and NYG are absolutely not budging and we already beat Denver and Buffalo to the punch at 3 knowing this is as far as they can possibly go.

It is interesting. We have had conflicting reports. A tweet saying it's no secret the Jets love Mayfield. Another report saying they dont feel he's top 3 material. Lots of fog of war stuff

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

No one knows anything at this point. We’ll keep hearing different stories of who the Jets like, who they don’t. They’ll float some stories to people they know will run with it, It all means nothing.

We’ll probably never know who the Jets first choice was but I guarantee whoever they end up drafting we’ll hear was the guy they moved up for. I think they want Darnold or Rosen but won’t surprise me if they want Allen or Mayfield. Whoever they end up with I’ll support Mac and the QB until there is reason to stop supporting.

I hate anyone who says I’ll vomit if we draft Allen or I’m done with this franchise if we draft Mayfield. All these QBs are very highly regarded for a reason, it’s because they all have immense potential.

FJF, ColoradoContrails and Walt White like this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

It was very surprising to a lot of analysts as well.

Everyone keeps saying when they see Mayfield throw in person, they are surprised how zippy the ball is.