Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Mccown is a known quantity, i'd expect the rookie and teddy b to get a majority of the reps. Mccown doens't really need them until the preseason kicks in

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

That probably best suited him, not unlike what he did in college.
    Let's see how he handles the cold and wind. I like him, great kid, and I hope he is successful. I still think anointing him as elite is extremely premature.

3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

You mean except the threads on him going back to 2016 and early 2017?

4. GasedAndConfused

it was 90% darnold (remember suck for sam) and maybe at best 10% rosen. show me threads from after the 2017 draft and before the 2017 season where people were praising mayfield

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think Mayfield may be the best qb in this draft actually. He has that it factor. After watching his tape more, i really like his arm talent. He struggles more with deeper throws, so that definitely needs work. But the one thing that impressed me about him, his ability to work and improve. He has literally gotten better every year he has played.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. GasedAndConfused

https://imgur.com/a/UZIRc

those are all from earlier this year DURING the season after we won a game (late october/early november) with people saying now we are stuck with mayfield and calling him a late 1st early 2nd rounder and lumping him in with guys like rudolph and falk.

7. GasedAndConfused

every QB with the "IT" factor fails. it's a BS "pro" people use on sub-par talents to hype them up. his arm is also the least talented of the top 5 guys by far (rosen, allen, darnold, jackson)

8. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Every qb definitely does not have the "it" factor. Blake Bortles doesnt have "it". Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson have "it". Mayfield has "it". You know i like Rosen, but he doesnt have "it".

9. The Waterboy

So after the 2017 draft and before the 2017 season? (Yeah, I see how you narrowed that down after first doing a search to see what threads were out there). Not earlier that that which would be even more proof that people were talking about him long before the month ago you claimed? This doesn't even count posts made in general draft threads without "Mayfield" in the title where posters discussed him.

http://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/baker-mayfield-games-discussion-thread.87718/
    http://forums.theganggreen.com/thre...2018-draft-baker-mayfield-or-luke-falk.88122/

10. GasedAndConfused

I think you misread my post. i'm saying all the QBs in the draft, when people say they are worth a high pick because the "IT" factor wind up being busts. it's a fake non quantifiable thing people use as a buzzword because the prospect lacks talent.

11. GasedAndConfused

look at my other post. also both those threads start off with calling him a later pick not even a first rounder hence my point. he was seen as a value pick. If we were taking him in the 2nd or 3rd I'd be fine with that. that's what the threads say. none say he is worth taking top 3 not to mention the kings ransom we gave up to get to 3

12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I dont think he lacks talent at all. I understood what you were saying, but im saying not everyone has that it factor. Hes extremely accurate, has a good arm. Its actually better than i initially thought. The torque and power he generates just by flicking his wrist is amazing. His problem is he holds on to the ball too long, and needs to read better against the blitz. He can learn that stuff.

13. GasedAndConfused

his arm is medicore, most of his throws were to wide open targets. he lacks the ability to scan the field, and his height makes him bail out of the pocket easily to even see downfield. he can't see over lineman, and doens't know how to use throwing lanes to view the field. never played under center. 1 read QB and bail. I can care less if he's a boy scout (he's not BTW he's been arrested before) his talent level isn't worthy of a 3rd overall pick. u wanna see a ball cannon downfield with no effort, go watch lamaar jackson instead.

14. zace

zace Well-Known Member

You really need to watch film man. That stuff you just said, doesnt even match the film. Its cool you dont like him, but please use facts. Go watch film on him.

15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

It's far more than any obscure 'it' factor. As a matter of fact I'd bet that most of the people that like Mayfield have seen him play a lot. It's about his play on the field. It means absolutely nothing when he was first talked about and who said what. It's not a contest.
    You sound like someone who is digging for stuff to match an impression without really knowing a lot about him. That's how it appears

#1095 Walt White, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  16. The Waterboy

The first post in the second thread says, "When a new GM comes in they like to draft a QB to sell tickets and give the franchise a new face. These two guys would be top five QBs this year and should be top 3 QBs next year." Calling him top 3 before his final season seems to me the poster was very big on him.

Of course many aren't going to call him the sure fire first pick before he even plays his final season.

And yes, I looked at your other post and you said, and I quote, "i'm guessing the part where nobody mentioned him here until a month ago ". You were flat out wrong yet once again refuse to admit it. I'm done with you, keep thinking you are always right when you are usually wrong if that makes you feel good. I'll just refer to you as nyjunc2.0

Walt White and zace like this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

I've watched a ton of it, that's how i know all of that. very unimpressive prospect.

most of the people liking him, probably haven't. I sure as shit didn't watch every game he played, but i watched his highlights and when someone can't even make a video 10mins of you looking good over 4 years of plays, then there is a serious issue.
    yup bail out because you are wrong. look at the screen shots. your "proof' was people calling him a late round pick we should try out. nobody was saying this guy was a top pick. he was a consolation prize in the 2nd round to everyone until recently. one guy calling him a "top 3" prospect doens't mean much when a dozen people here are worshipping him now. You can be the 3rd best QB in the draft and NOT be a 1st round QB

18. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

When I look at college tape of Teddy it just makes me giddy as a school girl. It's not like he just put together some ok seasons, he threw for 71% completion his last year at Louisville averaging an INT for every 1,000 yards! (3,970yards) Oh, and a measly 31 TD's.

Walt White likes this.
  19. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Just going off of gut and what I've seen from him throughout his career. I was saying this before he was ever drafted, the fact that he's already shown the ability to succeed in NFL is just bias confirmation.

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Like any of that has a bearing on what the guy did on the field. Holy shit dude.

Most of the people are being cautiously optimistic about all the QB's and have favorites, and you're desperately trying to prove you're right, and them wrong, about something that nobody on earth can prove yet. It belies that you really don't know a lot about Mayfield. But you're doubling down on outside material that means nothing to try and force it to appear right or that you know football better. Nobody cares.

Dude