Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

How do you come to the conclusion that Allen is the back up plan?

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Rosen was my first choice but do we just ignore his concussion history? He already has money and he could just walk away if he takes another bad hit. I am sure we will here a lot about that if we do take him.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Just the feeling I get on the situation. Whether any of us agree or not Mac(NFL) has a prototype QB in which Allen fits and Mayfield does not. Also whether we like it or not Mayfield’s personality doesn’t seem to jive with Mac & Bowles button down approach.

When the trade was first announced I thought Mayfield might have been the target given the timeline of events the Colts GM spoke of. Now I’m thinking it might be the opposite and Mac did not like what he saw or heard and wants to ensure one of the other 3. I fully admit I could be reading the situation wrong.

For me personally I have a clear top 2 of Darnold and Rosen. After that I’m pretty undecided on Allen and Mayfield and depending on the day which I’d prefer.

I’m pretty sure Rosen will be the guy though and I I think Mac is confident he will be available.

4. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I think if Rosen is there at 3 he's the pick as well.

5. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

You must be new to the New York Jets fanbase lol

I don't share the same confidence. There's usually too much politics in play to do something like that even if it's obvious.

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

So conveniently for your argument the comparison of the NFL can be made between the late 90's and today but not the early 90's.
    You also neglect the fact that the new CBA cut rookie first round contracts by about 75%, wouldn't this also have a drastic effect on trades?

The new CBA had an effect on draft pick values but the players available in each draft and team needs play an even more important role in determining pick value. There is no way a static figure can be used to set a value on each draft pick.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Quick question.. Is there any footage on Rosen playing in bad weather?

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Great post. How do you make your gifs?

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Usually I can use https://ezgif.com/ for most things, then upload to https://giphy.com/

Sometimes a smartphone app may work better, such as Tweet2Gif.

Edit: I didn't capture all of these myself, a few are saved. Still, when I do grab captures, the links I gave are how I do it.

Freddy Mondo and Big Cat like this.
  10. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

I will but it’s not about expertise. It’s logic.

11. xxedge72x

This makes me happy:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/17/analysis-jets-trade-up-is-bad-news-for-bills/

Freddy Mondo and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. xxedge72x

When I have more time I'll dig. This is the only thing I've found so far (it's hard to tell in video but its raining):

13. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Have not posted in a long time but this trade is BIG.

I’ve seen a lot of talk of which one will we get and MAC does not know this or does not know that. I recall a few years back when the Eagles traded up to the No. 2 position after the Rams went to No.1 that all the analysts were still speculating as to who would go first but in reality when the Rams went to No. 1 they had already decided.

If I was in the FO then the attempt for Cousins appears to have been the primary plan but like any professional you always go with a contingency plan. The trade appears to have crystallised over the last week but it also sounds like the FO looked at the cost of getting to the top and second pick. In that regard they know how attached those teams are to their picks and will have heard reasons why. In hearing the cost and reasons they will have been able to read into the thought process of the Browns and Giants.

For me the trade had to happen now to avoid a potential bidding war with others who could offer more draft capital – Bills in particular. It is a reason that the Browns may look to trade their second first round pick and really get a ton of other picks to fill out their roster or why I am still wary that the Giants do the same and rebuild their O-line through this draft with the bevy of picks they would garner from such a trade and protect Eli so much better thereby extending his shelf life.

The reasons that the Browns and Ginats gave in those preliminary calls allied to the scheme that their coaching staff is installing will tip hands as to which of the QBs they are looking at – at 3 MAC can be assured that one of Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield will fall to him. I agree the timing of the move allied to pro days makes it look like a Rosen Vs Mayfield I’m happy either way kind of choice. I have a feeling one of the top 2 will pick Allen as they don't need a day one starter - Giants in particular have the ability to let their choice sit behind Eli for a year if not two.

My preference is for Rosen as I just don’t like some of Mayfield’s off the ball behaviour which is a concern for me.

GO JETS

14. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

MAYFIELD IS A SPREAD OFFENSE QB. ARE PEOPLE REALLY NOT UNDERSTANDING THAT? He is undersized and comes from a gimmick offense.

No. No. No. No.

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’m sure everyone realizes what kind of offense Mayfield played in and his size has been well documented. I can assure you that no matter how many caps you use you are not telling anyone anything they don’t already know.

16. Cman68

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Is our trade up to slot 3 a ploy to put pressure on the browns, who at one point were sat in 1 and 4 under no pressure but to fill their boots at QB and RB, take Barkley and then which qb they like best at 4 or vice versa but now they think that the jets have gone into third spot to grab the possible qb that they want or do we really want Barkley all along lol

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You know what... I never realized any of this until you pointed it out. Wow. How have I missed this for the last 6 months?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Cman68

LOL.. cmon man.. give the guy a break.. :)

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I had a literal nightmare last night that the Jets picked Allen 3rd over Mayfield. I woke up mad, swearing it was real. It wasn't til I opened up Twitter a few minutes later and saw that people were still excited over the Jets having the 3rd pick that I realized everything was ok.

For now.

xxedge72x likes this.
  21. Cman68

I thought you said you've forsaken the pints??? :)

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.