Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Bowles_Rips

Bowles_Rips New Member

Is there any type of Brock Osweiler to the Browns salary dump type of trades out there where we can snag an extra 2nd round pick?
    We have all this cap space. Maybe it makes sense to roll it over but would love another pick.
    We’ll be able to recoup these picks if we suck again next year and trade down given that we would have our franchise qb

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Put on your glasses Don..I said we prob CANT take Rosen (doesn't matter what the 2 in front of us do)..so then it's MAYFIELD at 3

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It's hard to see it as three #1s when they are being compared directly to each other and there are strong feelings that one may be better than the other. The point is if you put them into the other drafts where the field wasn't packed, they'd all be worthy of the #1 pick. They'd at least be in the argument.

This is just an exceptional year for drafting a QB. Even the QBs after the top 3 are extremely talented. Nobody is talking about Jackson and he can be a total stud. Even Luke Falk is underrated just because he's not in the top 5 group this year. I'll tell you what, if I'm the Patriots, I'm looking hard and long at Falk to replace Garoppolo.

4. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Rarely do teams trade up for running backs. All that draft capital trade has got to be for a QB. I'd imagine that macc traded up to 3 because it's a game of numbers at this point and it doesn't seem like he views the QB's differently.

1) Darnold
    2) QB/Saquon/Nelson - perhaps trade out to Bills for a ton of draft capital
    3) Jets will either draft Rosen or Mayfield

Allen will likely go 4 ( trade up) or 5 to the Broncos - Case Keenum will be the stop gap as Allen rides the bench to learn.

5. xxedge72x

The Jets always have the option to trade down with their other picks to acquire more. Next year especially. There are other ways they can recoup lost picks. Not a big deal.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

No way..did you you get all those nasty adjectives from the Mevis$ Biography LMAO?.cant do worse than Revis the money grab phoney

Mayfield has the moxie of a Namath..far from perfect but who is

He wins games!!!!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I'm not getting wrapped up in his flashy combine where he looked leaps and bounds better than the group of QB's he was throwing with. But his tape is wildly inconsistent and aside from not having great WR's to throw to, his completion percentage is a huge red flag. His mechanics are inconsistent and he's truly the best while he's forced out of the pocket.

He probably has the most upside in the class, but he also has the most bust potential too. Just my opinion and I'm sure others on this board feel differently

#787 grkmanga31, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I get that.... and more of a reason to not make a radical move unless they feel those three are RADICALLY better than the field. Pretty sure a good player could've fallen to them at 6, then they have the 2 2nds to jump back into the bottom of the first if need be (Jackson if they miss a QB?)
    If he nails it and they finally have a QB savior then its a moot point, but it's a big gamble

9. xxedge72x

Yeah I see what you are saying. I personally think that Darnold / Rosen / Mayfield are head and shoulders above the rest. ie Falk, while a great late 1st round option, isn't a #1 worthy pick in any year's draft, while these 3 guys are. Obviously some people feel the same about Allen too, though I disagree. It doesn't matter, there are guys with skillsets that are hard to come by, except this year. Strike while the iron is hot.

To that end, I also think it would be foolish for the Giants to pass up on a QB. Eli is getting old and if they wait to replace him, they may have to pay a fortune later as opposed to staying put and just getting their guy now. But then again, that doesn't help them this upcoming year and we don't know what their priorities are. Either way, I think when it comes to QBs of this caliber, you can't wait if the option is there. Teams that wait get left behind.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

The Eagles moved up twice as many places two years ago and (depending on how you discount future draft choices vs. current draft choices) it can be argued that they gave up less than the Jets did.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Their other picks start in round 3, they won't get much.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

haha..why can't we take Rosen no matter what the 2 in front of us do? If they don't I would think we can.

13. Garycs

Garycs Member

I think many of you are missing the boat on Allen. He is going in the top 3. Look at the tape of the Senior Bowl. He was being coached by pro coaches. He did it all. Shot gun arm, athleticism, able to move in the pocket and touch on the passes. I think he's the best QB in the draft. Cimini and Schefter basically said the same thing. Likely Darnold first and then whatever Josh you prefer. Buffalo may trade up. Arizona may trade up. The Giants should take a QB. The Jets made a great move yesterday. I am going to be good with Darnold, Rosen or Allen.

FJF, BomberJet and legler82 like this.
  14. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Because by then it is too late (see Redskins vs. Cardinals etc. al, 2012 for the 2nd Pick).

Bills might have moved up, ditto Broncos.

MM did the right thing.

15. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I'm a bit surprised....NONE of you are a bit skeptical/afraid of Sam Darnold given the history of USC QB's, including our own Mark Sanchez ??

I don't think Darnold is there at #3 anyway but still.........

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  16. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

We'll get a 2nd back when we trade Bridgewater in early Sept when it looks like he can play again :D

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if Giants took a QB, Webb is from same system and college as Jared Goff, look at his tape, he has accuracy, a good arm, and throws with anticipation.

He will get a chance to be backup this year and becoming a starter for them in a couple of years when Eli retires.

Giants will grab Barkley or Nelson, they need impact players on offense. They signed Solder, add Nelson to that line, all of a sudden Eli has plenty of time to sit in pocket and make plays.

Giants have plenty of time before they have to draft a QB, if they do poorly and end up with a high draft pick in 2019, there will probably be a couple of QBs available for them to draft from.

amuck57, Cidusii, NCJetsfan and 3 others like this.
  18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Are you areguing that if the Jets have previously drafted a player from a school that failed that clearly there is an issue at that school that makes players incapable of succeeding with the Jets?

If that’s the case, should we avoid players from Alabama simply because Dee Miliner sucked? Ohio State because of Gholston? Etc.

FJF likes this.
  19. Seth

Seth Active Member

Anyone complaining about this move would not have a Goff, Wentz, Mahomes, Trubtisky, or Watson on their team right now.

When you have a need for a QB and identify the long-term guy(s) that can be franchise QB's, you swallow the cost and just go for it.

20. xxedge72x

Found this set of YouTube scouting videos and I thought they were very well done and will share here. For those of you who don't like Mayfield, you will probably enjoy this as the video author is quite critical of Mayfield. That said, he is even more critical of Josh Allen and clearly separates Allen from the top 3. I've listed the videos in the order that the author rates the QBs. Enjoy:

1. Josh Rosen

2. Sam Darnold

3. Baker Mayfield

4. Josh Allen

5. Lamar Jackson

Brook!, NCJetsfan, NY Jets68 and 2 others like this.