The Jets traded 4 draft picks for 1 draft pick. Let's be clear on that.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Mar 17, 2018.

1. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Side benefit: Besides getting your QB, it keeps that QB off your division rival's roster.

Now that we have the QB, we can recoup picks by trading down next year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Highly likely we could have this blue chip QB prospect sitting at 6--the trade makes on sense without knowing what the first 2 picks will be--what do I know

3. twown

twown Well-Known Member

As I just posted in the main trade thread, "highly likely" is fun for a gambler like me.

But "guaranteed" has a nice ring also.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

5 picks were involved.

Literally.

5. abyzmul

How many draft picks were traded in the Jets /Colts scenario?

Don't give me some garbage from a chart that was formulated 20 years ago.

The Waterboy likes this.
  6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Per the NFL Trade Value Chart:

Jets get: No. 3 (2,200) = 2,200 points
    Colts get: Nos. 6 (1,600), 37 (530), 49 (410) and 2019 2nd-rounder (~270) = 2,810

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nfltrades.php#ixzz5A42SS99t

The deal would have been fair if we kept our #37 which we really could have used for OL or RB

This is reminiscent of Isaiah Thomas trade for Eddy Curry which the Knicks are still fucked from--Mac could go down in the annals of NFL history as making one of the worst trades ever.

7. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I wasn't directing that question to you, i tried to quote somebody else and it didn't work. I understand and agree we gave up a first rounder , I also understand when people say we swapped 1st rounders. It's a semantic argument I'm not even that interested in, either way I think we gave up too much and it seems desperate. I really hope I'm proven wrong and rooting for Mac to prove me wrong. He better be sure as hell that whoever he takes is the real deal.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Lay off that man.

Some hold garbages written a few thousands of years ago like their lives depended on it. This one ain't that bad. :D

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

All comes down to who they take and how they develop. If they draft a real FQB Mac is a genius and the Jets have a chance to be a contender for years. If they draft another Sanchez, I guess you can say it's an awful trade. However you'll never know if you don't try. I guess if Sanchez worked out we probably wouldn't be in this position today.

Facts are that no matter how good of a team the Jets have had through the years, they haven't had a legit franchise QB. This has always been the main thing holding them back. This is their best chance and Mac is doing whatever he can to get the guy he wants.

Tom Brady is nearing the end of his career. If the Jets can for once in their history (ok twice) draft a great QB and not screw him up, they will be in a position to be a dominant team in the AFC East for a long time.

10. abyzmul

Did you really just reference the Knicks?!

11. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I respect you tons

And I agree

But let’s see what happens

In this day, I do believe you gotta take a chance for a FQB

If they miss, they miss

Nothing new. But you gotta try

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

And RG III is almost if not out of the league already. They didn't get much in that deal. Hope ours turns out better.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We swapped pics ,this trade is awful .We had two second round picks this year wtf we could have rebuilt the fucking roster.

14. LongIslandBlitz

This trade will haunt this franchise for the decade or so

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

So? This team has been haunted since we beat the Colts in SB3 and forced the merger of the AFL and NFL.

16. Don

You don't rebuild the roster with 2 picks. You didn't mention the 12 free agents we signed, that is also a part of how you rebuild the roster.

17. LongIslandBlitz

3 picks next year's second round as well.If we hit on them that's 3 starters instead of a question mark .If I thought the QB they drafted was gonna start this year like Wentz did I'd be more excited but judging by what they did with Hack this QB we draft may not see the field for 3 years that's what Jets fans are overlooking.We are so inempt as a franchise

18. Don

Signing the FAs allowed us to make the move up for a potential franchise QB. At least 4 of them are probably better than any second round picks we would have made. Johnson, Claiborne, Long and Bridgewater if he is healthy. If we didn't sign them we couldn't have made the deal and there is no telling (especially by past experience) that the guys we picked with those 2nd would be anywhere near as good as those we signed. Yes, it's a risk and Maccagnan's job is on the line but let's see how it works out.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

And if they get a franchise QB out of it, he goes down as a genius for trading into the top three without having to give up a future first round pick. It’s almost like we need to take the “wait and see” approach.

20. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

So the jets traded 4 pics......yup. Did the Colts give a first round pic back....yup.

Tally it up....the Jets now have the colts 1st from the Colts. The Colts now have 3 2's and the jets 1st.

So yes the jets "traded the first pic" . But gettng another first back kinda makes it moot doesn't it? At the end of the day 3 2's are what the colts have hanging over the jets. The 1's are irrelevant other than the fact the jets have the higher pic.